1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Ouch!... am I doing my squats wrong?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Somanatin, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Somanatin

Somanatin Well-Known Member

So I did some weighted squats the other night, but I think I might be doing something wrong. For 2 days now my upper back and shoulders have been sore, and this morning I woke up to find a nice, straight, bruised line up there, exactly where the barbell was resting.

This is the first time I've done the exercise with the weight on my shoulders, but I'm wondering if I should be doing it differently? How does everyone else support the weight when doing squats? I was able to push more weight this way, and definitely felt the difference in my legs, but I don't want to hurt my back/shoulders by doing something I shouldn't be... any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. teencraft

teencraft Well-Known Member

Keep your back STRAIGHT, that will help, bend at knees, keep feet exactly where they are and pretend that you are going to sit at a chair. You might want to put a towel on the back ofyour neck where the bar sits, that should help. Also, do it slow, you don't want the bar bouncin' around.

It also could be that you just had too much weight.

3. Mudfly

Mudfly Well-Known Member

For proper form, keep these things in mind...

1. Your feet should be about a shoulder widths apart.
    2. During the entire range of motion your knees should never move beyond your toes. During the squat your knees should always be directly over your toes.
    3. Always keep your head up and look straight ahead. Squat to a point where your thighs are parallel with the floor. (Like Teencraft stated, squat like you're going to sit on the edge of a chair.)
    4. By looking straight ahead at all times, it will help you keep your back straight.
    5. And just when you think you can't squat any more....do one more rep! :P

Mudfly

4. Rockman

Rockman Well-Known Member

You'll overcome the bruising and soreness in about a week. I tend to get the same bruising on my back from the edges of the bench when doing bench press as I start lifting again. Personally, I think its rather cool looking as long as disappears eventually. :tu:

5. corbint

corbint Well-Known Member

dont walk, run and buy a manta ray.... it is the single thing that helped me perfect my squat.

read this :: http://davedraper.com/manta-ray-invention.html

and

go here to buy :: http://www.adfit.com/

it WILL make you feel better during the squats, its not bulky like a pad, and it forces you to put the weight in the proper location!

6. Super Fink

Super Fink Well-Known Member

I second the Manta Ray - I have used towels, pads and the straight bar and unfortunately I am not built like a monster so its not to comfy on me - but with the manta ray it feels like nothing is on you - its great! Geez - you would think I work for them or something....sign me up for the infomercial!!! :nod:

7. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Well-Known Member

the bruises and soreness from the bar will go away if you continue to squat. Your neck and shoulders will get used to it.

I would highly recommend having someone critique your form while you squat... You can think you're doing it correctly and in a few weeks find you're having strange back/knee/whatever problems.

Get your form down with lighter weights before you try to go too heavy... but keep squatting. it's pretty much the best exercise you can do (along with DL's)

8. dingo

dingo Well-Known Member

squats rule

Make sure you don't hold the bar too high on your shoulders-- you don't wan't your neck coming close. Use your arms to actively stabilize and support the bar, maybe your back is taking too much of the pressure?

Squats are the single biggest revelation I've had in my training... I used to do them pressing in a machine, but I've never been so sore in so many areas of my legs since I "discovered" the squats, the total king of leg execise! :D

9. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

yeah it sounds like his problem is soreness from the bar rather than actual back strain from poor form.

What kind of weight were you squatting? I do get shoulder pain when squatting any kind of weight with out some padding used, usually lasts a few days. It's too be expected really if you consider the weight you're resting on a small area.

Try a towel, if that doesn't work for you, then consider spending some cash on one of the various items you can buy to help out with this. Personally, up to the 150kg i've lifted, a towel does the job.

10. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Heavy shrugs to build up your traps to handle the weight.

The only exercise that I get bruised from is reverse-grip bench (really good tricep execise). I always have huge bruises on the back of my lats. They go away in about 2 days.

11. FINiK

FINiK Well-Known Member

It is a good idea to record yourself doing the squat with a simple video camera from different angles. It looks differrent when you look at yourself from the side, you can see many common errors you never thought you are doing. And you can use this method for any other exercise as well.