1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Osteoporosis

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Trinity, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

I was wondering what you ladies (and guys) thought about osteoporosis and low body fat. My period hasn't come in 40 days (I'm not pregnant) and I think it's due to the weight that I've lost. I'm 5'6" and 125 pounds and pretty muscular. I know that if you lose your period you put yourself at risk for osteoporosis. On the other hand, weight training and cardio are supposed to lower your risk. Do you think the positive effects of weight training outweigh the negative effects of losing your period? My mom was diagnosed with osteoporosis at age 52, and since it's partially heritable I think I'm more at risk than most women.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

2. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

Are you normally very regular? I think you're only supposed to go from perfectly regular to losing your period if you've lost weight to the point of being unhealthy. But I'm not sure on that. What's your BF%?

3. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

Trinity, whats your bodyfat? I have read you need to stay above 13 % and I've read even that is too low.

*edit- sorry, I see Freemason just asked you that*

4. JetGirl

JetGirl Well-Known Member

I haven't had my period for 4 months and ... I'm not sad that it's taking a little vacation. I've spoken about it with my doctor and she says its probably due to my weight loss. From what I've read it contributes to losing bone density and an increase chance of getting osteoporosis later in life. The thing to remember is that there are hormones you can take to intice it back from its vacation and if this continues for longer than 6 months, you should consult a doctor and get some help.

This is a really good article about amenorrhea - http://www.sandhurstjoggers.org.uk/amenorrhea.htm

5. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

You might want to look into getting some natural progesterone cream. It should help with some other things too.

I know this is in the female section of the forum, but I hear this stuff all day, every day.

6. Trinity

I'm not certain about my body fat percentage because I use the Tanita scale. It says I'm 17%, which I don't think is extremely low, but you know that these things can be somewhat inaccurate. (I had been using it to judge trends, not as an absolute measure.)

Taking hormones would be my last resort--I really don't like the side effects of birth control pills and progesterone creams. If my doctor says I need to take them to stay healthy, though, I would.

And yes, Freemason, I was regular at 130 lbs. When I was younger, weighing 115-120ish, I was irregular or didn't get my period.

7. honu*girl

honu*girl Well-Known Member

What about just adding soy to your diet, that might help? And also just making sure you get your required calcium and do weight training (which, duh? you must do!) The cream is another idea, but you shouldn't worry too much because you are doing exercise and eating healthy. I guess you could always go on the pill (if you aren't already?)

8. Trinity

After some thought I've decided to wait 5 months and see if I get a period. If I don't, I'll take the mini-pill to get the estrogen I need. If I get at least one or two periods, I'll be happy because that means the hormones are there in sufficient quantities to make me cycle.

In the end I think weight lifting and eating healthy contribute greatly to bone health, maybe more so than having a certain amount of fat on my body. I think when I get to maintenance my cycle will probably resume. We'll see what happens in a few months.

Thanks for all your help, everyone :claplow: