1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on this

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by BenW, Apr 14, 2007.

1. BenW

BenW Active Member

First i'd like to say that i'm glad forums like this excist. John stone and his amazing progress have truelly been an inspiration to me. I've been reading on the forum for some time and the people are very helpfull and clear in their advice.

I started off with some basic equipment which i kinda grew out off. I'm interested in buying a home gym. However there are a few issues with that

1. i cant spend that much money on one, $550 would be the max.
    2. i train in my attic which has wooden floors so it cant be a real monster, 200 to 250 pounds i think. I could get rid of an aquarium on that same floor in order to shed some weight
    but i'm hoping it wont come to that and my piranhas :lol:

I started my search and came across something that looks about right.
    http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?Type=SKU&ID=230214819&source=22564

I dont know much about home gyms so any advice would be very welcome.

oh and please ignore any miss spelling i'm dutch and have yet to master perfect english in writing.

2. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Ben,

First, I wouldn't worry too much about your wooden floors. Here's a search with some insight into how much weight a wooden floor could handle:

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/search.php?searchid=713426

Also, how high is your ceiling? This will be more of a limiting factor than the wooden floor.

3. BenW

BenW Active Member

thnx for the reply. those posts give me some extra confidence in putting some weight up there.

at its highest point my ceiling is 215 cm / 84 inch heigh. after that it gradually comes down in an angle. the marcy one on the link i could house as an example for some measurements.

4. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

if you have the room, look at a power rack and some free weights. your ceiling is high enough and hopefully you have the floor space. You should be able to find a rack, bench, bar, and a set of plates for $550 or less. This will serve you better over time rather than the marcy unit.

5. BenW

BenW Active Member

6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
  7. Fernslinger

Fernslinger Well-Known Member

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Buy used! :tu: Get some bang for your money.

9. BenW

BenW Active Member

Thnx for all the input.:tu:

Managed to buy some secondhand and some new equipment with a little better quality then some of the stuff i posted earlier.

That tip to buy second hand is a good one indeed. If you have no limited space/weight issues you can buy some serieus stuff for next to nothing.