1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

One good thing about a Total Gym

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by HevyMetal, Mar 27, 2005.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I use free weights almost exclusively but at one point i did break down and buy a total gym as well. (by total gym I mean the equipment that Chuck Norris uses on his infomercials)........mine has the chin-up bar attachment which can be placed at either end. When placed at the bottom end you can simulate a military press with NO load on the lower spine. I also find it very good for several lat pulldown exercises where you want to get an isolated "burn" or "pump" on the lats with high reps.

2. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Well-Known Member

It is a versitale machine...

I have one and there are a few good exersizes you can do that will put you in pain! The pull-up and chin up are good ones for high reps in the cutting phase.

3. gus

gus Well-Known Member

i have one too,i agree ,the pull up or push up if you put the bar at the bottom is a very good facility.

4. hobowitharolex

hobowitharolex Well-Known Member

too bad a pump is worthless as are high rep exercises, espicialy while cutting

5. 48 year old

48 year old Well-Known Member

I have been using a total gym for a while now.
    If you want to do low reps on pull up there are a couple of options
    1. do them with one arm (very tough)
    2. Add weight with the bar, it is amazing what adding 60 lbs of weight does, it cut my reps on the highest level from 10 to 4.

Also the ab execises will put a pack on you if you do them with proper form.

You can do the entire work out with low reps if you just add resistance with the bar and plates.

6. Dead-head

Dead-head Well-Known Member

While I agree with you hobo, perhaps it would be more helpful to explain your reasoning rather than harshly criticize the ideas of others.

7. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

I think that the muscle building potential is pretty limited with one due to the low weight. But, I think you can get a great cardio workout with one. that would help relieve some DOMS from normal heavy lifting. It could also be nice for endurance lifting.

8. gus

gus Well-Known Member

absolutly Deadhead,thought i left all that behind me on frugal squirrels board. :(

I can't say as I know ought about cutting and the like but for me and what i want ,the total gym is still good;i am basically just after strength for fitness,and to help me in my job as a nurse;too many nurses with bad backs but they never exercise.

9. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

what's up with that comment? Drive-by threadcrapmanship at its finest right there.

I have a total gym and I think it's got a few exercises that are really good for the back. And doing a set of 15 reverse flyes with your knees on the board at nearly vertical is certainly not worthless, in fact it's pretty damn challenging and the resulting pump, while not necessarily an indication of future growth, feels pretty damn good and indicates that you indeed made your lats work.

10. HevyMetal

I did find when I first started using this apparatus that "form" was paramount in avoiding lower back stress. I guess the tendency is to assemble it and then see how high a notch you can get it up to right away.......I resolved to never do any exercise on it where my legs weren't bent to some degree with the exception of the aforesaid military press........I also find this machine useful for abwork......e.g.:..when lying on back doing bent -arm pullovers, raise bent legs at same time and concentrate the focus on abs.......I believe that it is possible to build muscle tissue on a limited basis using this unit........for time constraints you can get through a workout pretty quick on one.

11. Thunderchild001

Thunderchild001 Active Member

:tu: Hate to revive an old thread but I have been using my Total gym far a couple of years now and I have no complaints with it. I have been able to keep my weight down and tone up very well. I gave my first one to my brother who used it after some surgery. I got another one that is newer from Dick's Sporting Goods. No way will I pay what they want on the TV! This on has the attachment for a weight bar. I have 60 lbs. on it so far and depending on the exercise, I cannot use it at the top level. People down talk this machine all the time, but for what I like and need it suit's me just fine. You CAN get a good workout from this machine.

12. jesse1

jesse1 Well-Known Member

I have gotten some very nice muscle definition using one. I haven't built mass like free weight lifters, but my muscles look like a swimmers, long and sinewy. I also find it as lot of fun and easy on the back. Pullovers with your legs up during and chin tucked at the end is a very nice compound exercise.

13. HevyMetal

With an extra 100lbs. on the bar on mine the total I'm lifting is 207lbs. not using pulleys. using pulleys, it's 115lbs.

There are lots of ex's where I'm not even going to come close to lifting 207lbs. or 115lbs.

I use mine a lot.

One arm cable delt raises. very good.
    Iron crosses. " "
    Curls with arms out at 45 deg. behind.
    One arm rows. Doing them on this machine you can change pull angle and also supinate from under to overgrip continually.
    Ham pulldown..hits 'em in a way you can't get with other ex's.
    Seated high-pull Rows. Can supinate grip on the go.
    Stiffarm pullovers. can vary angle on the go.
    Mil Press. I put a wider bar on mine to get the width. Somedays you want to go for reps or superset with Db work or whatnot. Perfect for this.
    Ab work. A lot of ex's you can incorporate abs into it by lifting your knees while performing.
    Ex known as "surfer'. This one you can get full extension for the Lats if you go all the way.
    Good for close-grip pullups or pulldowns after you've gone heavy on your chin-up bar. Go back to this machine and get in some drop sets.
    Good warmup rig for Dips. can do drop sets for these too after you've gone heavy on your Dip station.
    Drop sets for rear delts.
    Drop sets for just about anything.

If you're super setting, this machine comes in handy because of speed of weight change. I use mine in conjunction with free weights and other machines.

Lots of angles and variability with this rig.

If you know how to use it in conjunction with other equipment it can be a valuable tool.

It's not what you do....it's how you do it.

I laugh at people who say you can't get results with one of these. They simply don't know what they're doing.

It's best use as far as I'm concerned is when it is incorporated with other equipment into a well-thought-out routine.

14. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

I've always thought the cheapest one is a POS waste of money because you will outgrow it quickly.

What I'd really like to see is one that can support 200-300 lbs on the weight supports (plus user weight). That would make it a pretty good workout for anyone. It could also use some sort of way to do deadlifts and squats.

15. jesse1

jesse1 Well-Known Member

go to:

www.efisportsmedicine.com

and look at the 14000 and 26000. You can add quite a bit of weight to these machines and they have a squat bar. They are ridiculously expensive however for what they are.

16. HevyMetal

Or you can look up Bayou Fitness and look at their Total Trainers.

Perhaps my first post was misleading. The one I have is made by Total Trainer.

They actually make one that will hold up to 500 lbs. including user.

Way less money than a Total Norris Gym. And a better machine IMO.

Lifetime warranty on cables ,pulleys.

Total Trainers are sold by other stores than Bayou Fitness, But it's a good site to go for info on the products.

I've posted links to Bayou Fitness before. Don't have it off the top of my head. Will repost the link later.

17. jesse1

jesse1 Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is 500 pounds including user? When I asked them they said you could only add 100 pounds of weight regardless of the users weight.

18. HevyMetal

http://www.bayoufitness.com/Detail.bok?no=11

According to the specs listed this monorail design supprts 500lbs.

The limiting factor may be the strength of the weight bar.

If you weigh 100lbs and you're using one of these you definitely have some latitude to work with.

Changing out the bar for a stronger one isn't too difficult or expensive IMO.

I changed out the pulleys on mine. Cost me about 20 bucks. Stronger better pulleys. I didn't like the ones that came with it although they may well have done the job.

I've had over 100 lbs on the bar on mine. I guess every manufacturer has a prescribed safety limit recommended.

I've gone to 140 at times. No problem.

AS long as the weight bar holds up and I don't go over the max user weight for mine (350 total including user) I figure I'm o.k.

If I ever find the weight bar to be suspect I'll put a stronger one in.

Never had a problem with the cables or handles.

Actually the T.Trainer handles are IMO nicer and better than the Total Gym ones.

#18 HevyMetal, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  19. jesse1

jesse1 Well-Known Member

I just called them again and they said the weight bar can only hold 100, but like you said, I am sure there is some leeway.