1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

One arm stronger than the other

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by seeDerekNow, Jan 23, 2004.

1. seeDerekNow

seeDerekNow Well-Known Member

Being a naturally right-handed, my right arm is noticeably stronger than the left. This really has an effect one my lifting especially when performing dumbell curls. Does anyone know a good way to train my weaker arm to "catch up" to the stronger one?

2. Evil Hx Coupe

Evil Hx Coupe Well-Known Member

Same thing is happening to me, I need help.

3. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

use a dumbell that is 5 lbs heavier in the weaker arm

once your weak arm cant do any more reps, dont do any more with the stronger arm

4. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Any one arm type of exercise will ensure that the stronger arm does not come to the rescue. Just keep with is and it will catch up.

5. seeDerekNow

seeDerekNow Well-Known Member

When the weaker arm works until the point of failure, should I give a little help from my stronger arm, or should I just let it fail completely?

6. CuttinKing2183

CuttinKing2183 Well-Known Member

I had a small case of that and I just continued to do what I could....and now I don't notice it as much...

I think working with different weights could throw off your balance and lead to possible injury...

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I disagree. Everyone has a dominate side, but if there is a major difference, then you need to focus on exercies that require both sides to work together. (ie, straight-bar curls, e-z bar curls) Use the dumbell curls for more of a "finishing" excercise, but use the same weight.if you can't complete the # of reps you're shooting for, then the weight is too heavy. Your left side will catch up eventually. And why stop with the stronger arm once the weaker one can no longer do reps. You're just stopping progress IMO.

8. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

using a straight bar.. you can still dominate with one arm. you need ISOLATION.

and the best way to build strength is to overload a muscle. IE using 5lbs heavier in one arm. took 2 workouts on my bicep to get them equal.

max ot style. 6 reps to failure with weak arm vs 6 reps with 5lbs less in strong arm

and another thing, using two different weights tricks your mind, i forget the whole ordeal behind

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Of course you'll still dominate with one arm, it's stronger! But with a bar both arms are sharing the load. By doing this, you're forcing the weaker arm to grow accustomed to the load the stronger arm can handle.

When using dumbells, use the same weight. Use a weight that allows you to complete your reps. At the end of the set, if you feel you can squeeze out a few more reps with the stronger arm, go for it. But I wouldn't stop the progress of one side just because the other side is weaker. Are you going to "dumb" yourself down because you're smarter then someone else?

10. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i did what i suggested and in two weeks both arms were equal strength. two max ot workouts is all it took and volia.

and to be honest, my stronger arm got stronger, but my weaker arm got stronger faster

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Everybody is different, and different things work for different people. I never said you were wrong, I just don't necessarly agree with your line of thinking is all. But if it works for you, all I can say is go with it! :tu:

12. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

In my experience, the only real exercise where you can give a little help from the 'other' arm is doing concentration curls (and I guess some one arm tricep extensions as well). But, by the time that you are at the point you are very close to failure. When doing concentration curls, I can spot myself for about 2 reps before my bicep is shot for that set.