1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Older Lifters

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mastover, Mar 8, 2013.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Stay away from plant based or soy protein and increase your whey intake. By "older" I'm talking 45+. However I do not condone soy intake at all no matter what the age. Both, for men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22313809

2. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

I take soy as I do not like the taste of whey. Based on your comments I have to ask what other options I have (other than whey)? This sounds weird but with whey I taste eggs (which I do not like).

3. mastover

Yeah that does sound weird. Does your protein powder contain egg white? Have you tried whey isolate powder? Different flavorings? Can you eat egg whites? They are basically flavorless. You can also use egg beaters and use some hot sauce or mustard to flavor them. Fry then up with some Pam.

If you're eating soy, use fermented soy, not unfermented. Foods like fermented miso, tofu, natto, fermented soy milk. I would suggest not eating non-fermented soy foods or milk. If you do a google search you can also find fermented soy powder. This just may be your ticket...

If you don't want to use powders, getting your required protein intake can be done but you'll have to get it all through lean meats and eggs and your fermented soy products. Around 20 years ago I used to choke down 2 1/2 pounds of chicken tenderloin along with 25 egg whites a day. I mean, it's possible with no protein powder, but it depends on the person and their protein requirements and how determined they are to get it done.

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Aram.....I hear you...:)......but I'm wondering why specifically "older" lifters should ditch the Soy......over the years , reading posts on here, it seems the evil wicked Soy is to be avoided by male lifters of every age....right????

5. mastover

Read my initial post up top, Hevy. :)

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I've been seeing more plant-based protein powders become available, things like pea protein and such. I see it used a bunch in cooking recipes with whey--I assume it reacts differently in the cooking process to make things more...normal in consistency.

If you don't like whey and want to avoid soy, you might try looking for that.

Jaer
    guesses it's mainly used by the vegan bodybuilders who don't want to use soy.

7. Defy

Defy Member

I started looking at various protein powders but gave up because there were so many brands and formulas that I got lost! The prices vary considerably as well. Can you recommend (by brand name) a couple of good ones to consider?

8. vanderlinden

vanderlinden Member

I recommend NOW unflavored whey isolate.

9. Defy

Defy Member

Thank you for the response!

#9 Defy, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013