1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Old-School JSF'ers........

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by HevyMetal, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Justitia, I am so sorry for your terrible loss.
    LateStart, am glad you have found someone after your tragic loss.

Well this appears to be the thread to stop in and explain our absence. I posted about a year ago, that I was back after open heart surgery, and ready to start a new fitness journal. Well that didn't happen. And I am not going to make any commitments or promises this time.

It is a pleasure to drop in, see who is still here and what they are doing. Things have slowed down, but I still see a lot of familiar names.

As for us, the short story is, life took a turn and I am now retired in Knoxville, Tennessee.

I had my aortic valve replaced at the end of May last year. Then my Mom passed away at the end of June, after a long battle with dementia. Early September, a week before I returned from my medical leave, my employer of 33 years called to tell me they put someone else in my management position, (at 60% of my pay, I found out later), and I would be moved to a "special projects" position. The company was, and still is, struggling, so shortly after my return in September, they laid off around 40 people. I made it through that, but in October, myself and several other, senior, higher paid, employees were asked/told to retire by the end of the year.

This could be an unhappy story, being told to retire at 60, with a meager severance, less than expected retirement funds, and no health insurance. But everything aligned, and we are more happy than ever.

As sad as the loss of my Mom was, she had done well with her investments. The IRA's that got divided up between my sisters and I, allowed my wife and I to come down to Knoxville and buy a nice home. I officially retired on December 31st, and we moved south the first week of January. Our Illinois home finally sold in February.

We love it here. We have a nice home, in a nice neighborhood, and are now only two hours from our Granddaughters. The wife is going to school at UT, and I will be looking for a simple job soon. Something meaningful and enjoyable.

And the view from our front window is wonderful. We can see the Smoky Mountains.
    [​IMG]

I've also lost some weight during this ordeal. I am back under 180lbs. :lol:

So that is my long winded story.

Hope everyone is well.

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob!

Bob T likes this.
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Bob, sorry for the loss of your mother.

Also, I'm glad to read that your day to day situation is working out just fine for you and your wife.

Bob T likes this.
  4. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Dude!

Thanks!
    It was very sad, and yet somewhat of a blessing. She basically was lost to us a couple years ago, due to Alzheimer's. Not the way anyone should end their life.

And yes, things are going very well in Tennessee. The forced retirement is indeed another mixed blessing.