1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Old-School JSF'ers........

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by HevyMetal, Apr 18, 2013.

1. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Funny -- I just noticed it has been 10 years since I joined this site. Hard to believe it has been that long. Good to see others here are still going strong.

2. SOULFLY

SOULFLY Well-Known Member

Hey all closing in on 10 too
    Wasnt a huge poster
    For me this is where it all started, 20 yr old now closing in on 30 !! :(
    For some reason I logged on to see what was happening here
    But havent been on to check for quiet a few years
    Learnt alot over the years wasted money on supps and "online coaches" etc
    And now its just a pro shake few times a week..
    No mastover? (The only good online coach out there)!
    Im just following IIFYM style and wont lie havent done a second
    Of cardio and eat ice cream every night and am nearly as cut as when I frequently was on this site

Good to see it still rocking on!

3. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Hey HM! Nice to see you're still alive and well - hopefully enjoying retirement. I haven't posted for over three years. Been working like crazy and can't believe three years have gone by in the blink of an eye. Thinking about starting a new journal as I've been sitting on my butt and eating terrible for the past three years. At 57, it has a disastrous effect on your body. I told my wife that my fully equipped gym needs new equipment - pink barbie weights. :lol:

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Hi MD!:wave:

5. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

:wave:hi M@... it's been too long :)

6. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

Hi everybody... I've been thinking about posting for a while... I saw a link John posted on Facebook and stopped by to read his latest journal entry on the main page... I no longer have a desk job, so I'm not on the computer nearly as much as I used to be... I'm a massage therapist now and I really need to keep myself in shape, I do lots of chair massage for a local company and make house calls (table massage)... so I'm carrying around a table, Ipod docking station, lotions, sheets, heating pads, etc... you get the picture... lots of lifting and walking sideways through doorways :p I've been doing a decent amount of cardio lately but not much weight training... that's changing... I have lifted 3 of the last 4 day's and I've been adding a lot of plyometrics, like jumping jacks and jump rope in between exercises to keep my heart rate up... I'm planing on starting another journal, this is a better place to do that then facebook ;)

7. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

Hey Everyone!

I'm sorta back and trying to get back into the swing of things. It'll be 10 years soon that I have been apart of this community. This place has seen alot of my major successes and upsets....my leaving a few times and returning just the same.

Good to see some old names in this thread. I can say I do miss the "good ole' days"..... but unlike many here, the good ole' days never really left....they just got better :) What I mean is taking fear and risk and throwing it into the wind and moving here to be with Maya....if there is one thing I do right in this life, it'll be that.

Us finding each other was like winning the lottery (in my eyes).

My life wouldn't be what it is without JSF. I owe this place alot, infact everything good in my life!

I think we need to have an "old schooler" JSF get together :P

8. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

Lurker since 2004. I am terrible at posting as I do not really have much to say.

9. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

Me too.

10. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Heh... :moon:

11. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

:dreamy:

12. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I want to come back here... and I was trying to decide where I should post -- and I thought I would resurrect this thread.

Just to say briefly -- and it is sad -- PGC passed away this past May 17th. I was by his side, holding the whole time, holding him in my arms, kissing his face, singing the song I would sing throughout the last few years so that no matter how much his capacity to process information declined, he would recognize this.

He lost almost all of his capacity to speak in the last 10 days of his life. However the last words he said were "love you" and the last action he could take just before he passed was to close his mouth and kiss me. That was couple of hours before he died.

Needless to say, I've been in terrible grief and shock. Even after we learned of his medical condition, it did not take the course it was supposed to, he was in such overall good health that the expectation was that he would live another 20 years. But it turned out he had a different medical condition that presents the exact same way as the original diagnosis. But the expected life span is a fraction of what the original diagnosis. And he died pretty much when the correct diagnosis predicted.

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

14. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to hear of your loss... both of PGC and your motivation. There aren't many of us left here...

15. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Very sorry for your loss. I sincerely hope you'll consider coming back here.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Justitia,
    Sorry for your loss.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Justitia, I'm extremely sorry for you loss. Your devotion to him was amazing!

18. StealthRapt0r

StealthRapt0r Well-Known Member

19. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Been 10-1/2 years since I joined JSF. Haven't posted since 2012. Lots has happened.

Lost my first wife to cancer on June 30, 2011, after almost 25 years of marriage. She had been very ill for 18 months before that. Strangely enough, in order to keep up the energy to take care of her, fitness became a real focus. I dropped to <15% BF and was working out on the regular from late 2009 (her diagnosis) until early 2013. Didn't touch a drop of alcohol for over 3 years. Basically, I dropped out of society for a considerable length of time.

Eventually, I emerged somewhat from my grief and began dating again (at 54 years of age!). Met my current wife and spent the time I had formerly devoted to fitness with her. :rolleyes: Seriously, though, that was a very good thing! We got married on January 9th, 2016 and it has now been roughly 4 years since I hit a lick at a workout-related snake.

Today, I am 58-1/2 years old and have begun an old-guy transformation. Started on December 22nd at 213 lbs and somewhere in the neighbor hood of 29% BF (I'm 6'-0") with a BMI creeping toward the OBESE range (~29). My former 34" waist had balloned to 40". So far, even with the holidays thrown in, I'm down 6.2 lbs. About to climb back on my old Nordic Track ski machine as Step 1 of a return to physical activity.

Happy to see that some of the folks I remember are still active on here!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Late start, I'm sorry for your loss, but am happy that you've been able to find happiness.

Clearly JSF is not nearly as robust as it was, but there are still some of us who are here. Stick around.