1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

OK, here it is, 405 bench, raw...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by swole, Sep 28, 2005.

1. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Yeah, 3rd rep, 2nd set. This is all semantics. ANY RESISTANCE EXCERCISE poses the possibility of injury. The human body was not designed to bear such heavy loads. Name one lifting excercise that doesn't have the potential for injury.

2. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I actually don't think I can name one. I've injured myself on squats, curls and everything in-between at some point.

3. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I rest my case. :D

4. BkRich

BkRich Well-Known Member

Wrist curls with a frosty beverage :tu:

5. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Ya know, i've gotta disagree with that too. I can't begin to count how many mornings i've woke up fractured because of too many 12 oz. wrist curls! :rolleyes:

6. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Swole, I've gotta say again, that is an IMPRESSIVE lift. I just can't imagine benching that weight. It must be very satisfying. :bow: :claplow:

7. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

That ClipShack site sucked, but I saw it. Horrible quality, but I saw it. Verrrry impressive. You are a beast. :tu:

8. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

That site is straight up slow and no good but 405 is good!

9. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

That wasn't my point -- I'm simply saying that repping out relatively light weight isn't "pushing it beyond your limits". If going for 10 reps with the help of a spotter when one is only capable of doing 8 reps is considered to be "not knowing one's limitations" as you say, then virtually everyone who unracks the weight is "pushing the limits" and risking injury. I honestly don't feel that is the case. Now, if you are talking about doing heavy negatives -- then maybe. But pushing out a couple of extra reps at light weight? No.

As to the claim that all exercises have the potential for injury, I have never argued otherwise.

#29 JoeSchmo, Sep 29, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  10. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

And you're obviously missing my point. If you read my post carefully you would've seen that I said injury COULD be caused by a variety of technical mistakes and not only from overloading. As far as pushing out those last reps, I don't care if you're benching 50 lbs. Eventually you're going to hit a point where it is difficult to squeeze out that last one. Once you pass that point, injury is much more likely.
    One more thing. Since when is 315 lbs. "light weight"?

11. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Eh...I suppose, but I don't think pushing out extra reps with relatively light weight is the cause of most bench press injuries....I think most of those are caused by pushing heavy weight with bad form -- but I'll agree to disagree with you on this point. No big deal.

And, 315 isn't light for most lifters -- I was defining "light weight" relatively speaking. 135 is light weight for you, but not for a 90-pound woman who doesn't lift. Similarly, 315 is heavy for most lifters, but not for the guy who can rep it out 10 times.

#31 JoeSchmo, Sep 29, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  12. swole

swole Well-Known Member

Thanks, Chris and thanks for recommending the Nitrean. I blend a shake every night before bed: Nitrean, Nat. PB, milk and have been making lean mass gains with it.

13. A~D

A~D Well-Known Member

It viewed a crappy for me, but

Swole:

Is your motion straight up and down (in other words your beginning and end (top) is directly above where you brought it on your chest?)

Or no?

I find when I bench with my elbows relatively in, the weight does not really stay over top of my elbows.

?

14. swole

swole Well-Known Member

I agree, that video is awful. Funny, because when I loaded it, it was fine. Maybe the site corrupted the video?

I don't go straight up and down, because I bring it down to the bottom of the sternum, where the very top of the stomach meets the bottom of the sternum. Elbows are somewhere above 45 degrees and below 90 degrees.

I am not saying this is 100% correct for BB, but for someone who has been injured (i.e., me), it is safer for heavy weights. It takes a lot of strain off of the delts.

Maybe some of the others will chime in with their techniques.

15. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Based on anecdotal evidence, pec tears occur to big strong guys. I've heard/read at least 50 stories of people tearing their pec during barbell bench press but not one of them doing it with dumbells or even incline press.

It's always near the bottom of the movement too-so there's something about being able to push so hard against the bar without having it centered in your hand that causes this insane contraction.

To tear your pec you have to have incredible pec strength-I don't think there was necessarily anything that SC did wrong to cause it. In fact most of the guys I've met who've done it had awesome technique and many were champion powerlifters specializing in bench. That's how their pecs got so strong in the first place to be able to snap the tendon.

16. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack this thread but wanted to make one more point about tendon tears in general. I've always noticed that athletes with explosive power suffer from them whereas the average slow,stiff white guy like me is never going to tear his achilles while sprinting-

Then I read Swolecat's interview on T-Mag and he says back when he was dunking basketballs and running 4.4 40-yard times he was tearing tendons all the time. This is proof of two things:

1. I was right about who tears tendons, it's the same thing with tennis players. Good players break their strings because they hit hard. Bad players use the same strings for years.

2. Swolecat is no ordinary white guy. How many caucasoids can dunk a basketball and run a 4.4?

17. A~D

A~D Well-Known Member

Let's see?

18. Eman7673

Eman7673 Well-Known Member

Wow, great lift man, thats my goal for december.