1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

OK, here it is, 405 bench, raw...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by swole, Sep 28, 2005.

1. swole

swole Well-Known Member

2. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Very nice! :tucool:

I had partially tore my left pec 2 months ago repping 315 8-10 times, so no more flat bench for me! It's healed, but I am stickin' w/d-bells and hammer strength machines for a more natural movement. (My Sports Doctor's advice)

~SC~

3. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Nice lift, HOSS. How do you keep your butt on the bench w/that much weight?

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The flash movie doesn't work very well for me, but I can see the gist of it and I never doubted you saying it! AWESOME! :tu:

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Excellent lift! Hopefully, that'll be me in a few months :nod:

Just curious, but why do you think your pec tore? I ask for two reasons: 1) It looks like you were going fairly light (8-10 rep range), 2) I'd like to avoid tearing a pec myself -- So any info you can shed on the matter would generally be helpful.

I know "bodybuilding" style of bench pressing (elbows out) tends to put more stress on the pecs, because that is the goal, but it seems that using a technique whereby elbows are kept at a 45 degree angle (as opposed to 90) might reduce the probability of getting a pec tear. Any thoughts?

I gotta say, a pec tear is my worst nightmare.

#5 JoeSchmo, Sep 28, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  6. JoeSchmo

If you have good technique, you aren't really tempted to lift your butt off the bench -- keep a stable base, proper foot placement, and retracted shoulder blades, tucked elbows, and your butt will stay on the bench. Even doing my heaviest lifts, my butt stays on the bench.

7. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Great lift, good form and control!

9. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

Great lift!

May I ask how tall you are? I'm not very far from this lift, if I may believe the one rep calculators (I'm not even going to try without a spotter), but you look much more muscular than I do! The only things I can think of is that you're either training for more growth than I do, or you're just less tall so the muscles look bigger in comparison.

I'm a bit over 6'4".

10. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Nice lift. I'l bench that much.........when pigs fly. :D

11. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Well, because it did. :lol:

Really, on the way up on the 3rd rep of the 2nd set I heard a "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip" but it was the feeling that was NASTY!!!!! What's weird is that I "heard this in my head" as well............the ripping I heard through my ears, but coupled with the nasty feeling, I also heard it inside the head.......sounds weird I know, but trust me on this one. Thank goodness it tore mid-way between the insertion point and main pec area, and NOT at the insertion point.

The reason it tore is because using 315 and repping it out like that is a lot of stress on that pec/delt tie in area. As the sports med doctor said, the stronger you get and the more weight you push around, even if it's easy you stand a much LARGER chance of tearing a pec like this. Reason being, the flat barbell bench press is NOT a natural movement for the pecs. The arms are supposed to come together at the top (as w/d-bells or hammer machines) and they do not. This places 95% of the stress on that pec/delt tie in area, and sooner or later they rip!!!!!

It's healed now, but no more flat bench for me!

~SC~

12. swole

swole Well-Known Member

13. swole

swole Well-Known Member

Hey dude, I think you look great. Being single in NYC and looking like you do must keep you very busy!

14. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

. This places 95% of the stress on that pec/delt tie in area, and sooner or later they rip!!!!!

~SC~[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I don't know about all that. Throughout BB history people have been benchpressing. I personally don't know anyone with a torn pec and I know ALOT of guys who put ALOT of time in the gym. Many of them are lifting MASSIVE weight. Perhaps the tear could be attributed to poor hand placement or improper technique. Maybe you were attempting to handle too much weight.
    There are many other excercises which put greater stress on that particular area. Incline bench would be just one example.
    Obviously pec tears occur while training. I think it all boils down to training within your capabilities. A man's got to know his own limitations.
    IMO flat bench is the single most valuable excercise in a chest routine so long as it's done properly.
    If this doctors last statement had any validity we'd be seeing alot more tears. Sooner or later????????

#14 doordude42, Sep 28, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  15. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Thanx bro. :tucool: Not as busy as i'd like!!!!! :whistle:

16. JoeSchmo

My god, stories like that really make me question whether I should even pursue a bigger bench. I've read alot of horror stories about torn pecs -- and they leave me with the distinct impression that it is something I definately don't want.

Well, if he can get 10 reps, then it is clearly within his capability. I've read (and SC confirms) that once you start getting into the bigger poundages (repping 315+), that pec tears become MUCH more likely. That scares me, cuz I like going after the big poundages. I think one way to minimize the risk though, is to keep elbows in at a 45 degree angle rather than 90 degree....puts less stress on the pecs. Still though, stories like SC's make me want to stick with dumbells.

17. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Flash video ran really bad for me too, however I got the gist and viewed it okay. :) VERY impressive!!! I never doubted you either, but that was very cool to see. Nice work! :tucool:

I'm gonna have to bring my camera in the gym one day...

18. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

:lol: :jumping: :bow: :jumping: :lol:

I crack myself up sometimes. I slept very bad last night, and read your post right after I woke up. Somehow I read 205 and was thinking, what's so spectacular about that, and why is the dude looking so damn muscular!

:lol:

Damn I love it when I act so stupid!

I even faked the 'great lift', damn 205 is NOTHING! :lol:

19. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

You are incorrect. Perhaps 8 reps is within his capabilities and pushing 10 was too much. As I said, it could be caused by a number of things.

20. JoeSchmo

Well, if you read his post, you'll see that he tore his pec on the third rep, not the tenth -- so he was nowhere near pushing things beyond his limits.