1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Yeah! Protein Bar Critique

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Jchem, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jchem

Jchem Active Member

hey guys, I just tried this protein bar and it is -by far- the best protein bar i've ever tried. Its actually something you want to eat .. lol . it tastes like an oh henry chocolate bar.

I'm going to order some more, but first I wanted to see what the opinion is on them (ive searched the forums - cant find a thread about them)

They are so good, that i feel i must be missing something here =)

This is for the large bar - which I would basically use as a meal replacement.. there is a half bar as well that can be used for snacks.

As long as this bar fits into your daily goals, does anyone see anything wrong with them? (if i were to have 1 a day)

thanks!

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Seems high sugar high fat. Not in a good way.

OTOH if you like it and it keeps you away from worse things.

Haven't there been some fairly simple protein bar receipes posted in the past?

3. That_Muscle_Guy

It does have high amounts of saturated fats so I would try to find one with less.

Plus you don't want to intake any fats after a workout due to them slowing the digestion process of your protein intake.

4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

It's a glorified candy bar.

Lots of sugar and fat. If you're going to eat something like that, you may as well just eat a candy bar with a glass of milk to wash it down.

5. Simonic

Simonic Active Member

I eat them occasionally, and I agree -- they are quite tasty. Their flavor, and texture definitely help them not taste like most protein bars.

For the Almond Fudge Brownie:
    http://www.issresearch.com/prod_ohyeah.php

They even provide a certificate of analysis for various products.

The bar has 8g of actual sugar, and 13g of Sugar Alcohols. Along with the 4g of fiber it effectively drops the "net carbs" of the bar down to 10g. Sugar Alcohols have varying effects on blood sugar/insulin levels, but are lower than most commonly used sugars. The fat is high, but you do get 2g poly, and 3g mono -- along with 5g sat.

When compared to a snickers -- it has 280 calories, 14g fat (5g sat), 35g carbs (30g sugar), and 4g protein. Along with next to nothing in the minerals/vitamins sections.

Even if the protein bar used actual sugar -- it'd still be 9g less than the Snickers. And, the Oh Yeah bar packs a fairly impressive 30g protein.

There is no way you can compare this to a "regular" candy bar. Though, I will not state that it is in any way a health food. It's main purpose is to be used as a meal replacement, or centered around training times. The protein content is what sells the bar. It has calories that are not completely empty -- while the Snickers is nearly devoid of any nutritional value.