1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Oh no! - Machines only! What to do?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Argenteum, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Argenteum

Argenteum Active Member

I live about 10 minutes away from my workplace, which fortunately has a gym.

It's pretty well kitted out, but as with far too many gyms it all seems to be nothing but machines. There are no squat cages nor any free barbells. The nearest thing is a Sm*th m*chine, a single bench and some dumbbells. There are some versatile looking pulley based machines, including a cable crossover machine.

Since I can't squat or deadlift (or indeed do a proper bench) with this stuff I feel I am not getting enough of a lower back and general core workout. Given that I have had lower back troubles in the past I'd especially like to build up strength around my midsection.

Because of the convenience of this place - it's always empty, free and very close I'm not going to try find a better place, so what can I do?

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Ask them to buy a oly bar and use the machine weights on it? That should do for deadlifts and SLDLs. As for the SmIth mAchine there are similar workouts you can do that will let you do squats and bench (if you're not that advanced that the stabliizers do a lot of the work.) A suggestion is all I'm making. You know what you need for your workout.

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Active Member

1st option:
    weighted chip ups, dips, bent over rows, bb complexes, power clean the bar to front squats, deadlifts with the bench barbell

2nd option: (if you have the free space)
    watch craigslist for a power rack and free weight set, you could get something nice for <$400 and it's something you will use for a long long long time

4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Go to another gym. If it doesn't have the equipment you need to properly work out, then the location and price are moot.

5. madamert

madamert Well-Known Member

I agree with Joe. Unless you are on an extremely limited budget, I would get a membership at a proper gym or slowly build up your own personal gym by buying up stuff from Craig's list. If you had a free work cafeteria that only served served sugary cookies would you eat there every day just because it's free?

Also, because you know you have back problems, good equipment should be an even larger concern for you.

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I don't necessarily agree guys. In the best of all worlds that advice is golden. But if you're not going to workout because you don't have a nearby gym then I'd rather make do and get in an exhausting training session. Maybe at some point the situation will change. But for now I would be sure to get in some kind of workout wherever I can.

7. Argenteum

Argenteum Active Member

I think the advice to find a new place is actually what I'm going to do.

I have found somewhere that seems very good and is also pretty cheap. It's run by an ex-soldier, as was the case in the last gym I was a member of. The previous one was absolutely brilliant from a weightlifting point of view as it had many, many kinds of free weights and very knowledgeable staff. This one seems similar and I'd imagine that a background in military PT makes you a fan of free weights for obvious reasons.

I can use the one nearby for aerobic exercise on non-weights days or for if I'm really stretched for time.

...yes?

8. BJ

BJ Active Member

I spent the majority of the beginning of my journey working out on machines only... I don't see a problem with it... sometimes you have to modify your plans to what you have available.

9. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

dumbbell squats?

i'd either use the smith machine or find a new gym. i've found that unless you have a motivated and dedicated fitness manager at the gym, they wont bother buying new equipment at the request of clients.. even if its a barbell rack.