1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Official JSF Merchandise - YOUR INPUT IS NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by John Stone, Oct 11, 2004.

1. fujo

fujo Well-Known Member

I want a shirt that says "My penis grew and inch thanks to JohnStoneFitness.com"

I think any type of clothing would be nice. I agree that you should offer a logo only and one with the site address. I think it would just depend on the item. Also you could get a lot of pens done with the address and logo.

2. blindside

blindside Well-Known Member

how bout your own line of dumbells :)

Attached Files:

3. slush_puppy

slush_puppy Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I don't like the idea of anyone having some sort of status or level of membership over another person. If people want to contribute money, that's great, and I know I will, but I don't want any special indicator next to anyone's name or avatar.

EDIT : I guess the sponsors are already identified. Somehow I don't mind that, though...

4. itbeachgurl

itbeachgurl Well-Known Member

Another wet blanket: if you put motivational quotes on posters and such you might run into copyright issues...you'll just have to be careful

5. benv2

benv2 Well-Known Member

John Stone Fitness clothing? :rolleyes:

6. jgmx

jgmx Well-Known Member

thats what i was thinkin about... like a wristband and it can also help you to stay away from junk foood.... a blue one would be sweeet...

and the sleevless tshirts and shirts kinda tighter fitted :tu: :tu:

w/ the URL of course to promote this awesome site :jumping:

7. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Shaker bottles a must. Measuring tape like bb.com would be cool. Good hats made of fabric, not plastic mesh. Clothing having JSF and/or the nice abstract logo would be nice. I like the look of both websites, if you use the same style, everything should look good. Good luck.

8. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

I completely disagree with you. On one of my sites we set up a membership system like this. One of the original arguments was this very thing, and at the time we did not identify people in any way as paid members. That eventually changed though. We found that these people DESERVED to be singled out. They SHOULD have a status symbol that shows they are a step above, because quite frankly, they are. I don't say that to knock anyone else - there are many reasons someone would choose not to support a site. But the reality is, those people that do choose to do so, should be singled out, because they believe in something enough to put their hard earned money into it.

9. Hurt_Conveyor

Hurt_Conveyor Well-Known Member

Firstly, I just wanted to know if and when you start selling products John, would it be possible to get things shipped over here to the UK?, I wouldn't mind paying extra for postage cause JSF is something I feel strongly about and I wanna be proud and wear some JSF brand goods :tucool:

I'm not a big 'brand' name wearer, for example if I see a t-shirt or something with a massive logo all over it I tend to look the other way for something different. So my personal suggestion for atheletic / casual wear is some nice, none over the top advertising. For example a nice quality made shirt / tanktop / vest with the web address somewhere on it... maybe the logo on the front with the webby on the back or even bottom of the shirt (big enough for people to read of course ;) )... oh ya, winters comming up soon maybe some beanie type hats... sweat bands too ?

:gl: with the new venture john, whatever u decide to have, I'm sure there will be something in there for me to choose - Hopefully I'll be able to get one sent accross the pond :nod:

10. taffer

taffer Well-Known Member

yeah make sure you can ship to australia! :D

with all the great idea's coming up, looks like i'll need at least 3 credit cards to buy all the great stuff :)

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Please don't offer those stupid Ashton Kutcher John Deere mesh hats!!! :lol:

12. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

John: Maybe validate interest by:

1) Show images products w/design
    2) Taking pre-production orders

As well all know, what people say they want or will buy or do is often different from what they will actually buy or do.
    If orders are low, then you won't have spent a lot of money on production....can change the design or product mix (maybe JSF eyepatches sell better than JSF shorts) to see what sells and what doesn't.

Also: if i were doing another venture, I would definitely find someone to model. They don't need to be in the same industry even, but find a site with the same community-driven traffic and see what they did to generate profitable revenue w/o 'selling out' the site.

A couple other thoughts:

1) What does everyone coming to this site need:
    - a place to workout
    maybe it would be useful to have
    . an Epinions-like gym directory with member reviews
    . this could be something that would drive traffic independent of and even to the fitness boards
    . start with a free listing (like google) and after you have traffic and content, charge for premium postings. This model has been successful elsewhere.

- workout equipment
    . I don't know why PowerTec wouldn't want YOU in their TV and print ads. If you REALLY want to revenue-ize yourself, then you should become a brand. This sounds hokie, but I bet if you approached PowerTec with your story, they would put you and your story in their ads. Agree to a reduce rate in exchange for mentioning the JSF site.

. offer equipment you've used and like online. This and the next idea become more viable once your traffic increases and your brand becomes known.
    . Review equipment for us: YOU can be a one person epinions for all of us (the companies can give you the equipment for free, you review it and tell us what you think. How to monetize this? Maybe you don't. I'm sure this would gen a lot of traffic that could be monetized in other ways.

I'm actually running out of time (I have to go workout), so will add more later. Here are some other things to think about (anything that people coming to this site are likely to buy because of their visit here, or the fitness lifestyle they are trying to adopt).

- a better diet and source for same
    - workout plans and knowledge
    - clothes
    - motivation
    - progress tracking tools (cameras, software,

13. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

Oh yeah: get a publisist. I'd bet a box of twinkies you could get on oprah. She loves positive, health-related stories, but you need someone that knows how to write a press release / story and get to the right people.

Or better yet. Create a video tape and send it to her directly. Having something you want to share that you think can be valuable to her audience...a meaningful reason why she can't NOT have you on.

14. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

Clothing: sayings should be about the person wearing them. Somethink like "See my transformation at JSF.com".

Not ^ that, but something along those lines.

15. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Forget baseball caps - I would buy a John Stone Fitness bandana, so that, if you tie it right, the JSF is right above your forehead. Bandanas are awesome.

You could put together some instructional posters like they have in gyms - for this body part, use this exercise, etc.

One tough thing to capture with a flood of new merchandise is the spirit of this site - it is probably the most frank, relaxed, and level-headed place where guys and girls on the Internet come to talk about nutrition and lifting. I think blitzing a whole bunch of run of the mill emblazoned t-shirts, like every other website on the planet, may not be the best thing for developing your brand. Sure, you want to promote yourself, but do something different. Fitted/tapered t-shirts are a nice place to start - you don't see a lot of those, and it reflects the attention to detail and intelligence you get from the leadership and the crowd around here. Keep this in mind when you're picking designs and stuff.

I personally would go for a screw-top canteen over a regular water bottle or a nalgene-style, but I just find they're more useful. I've never used a shaker bottle, but it seems like a cool idea.

To risk being a little kitsch, refrigerator magnets might be cool - not really pejorative ones or cutesy ones (Close Me! and such), but something that reminds you when you look at the fridge, what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to put a slogan out there, that's fine, but you've done well without one so far, so there's no reason to rush. If you're going to pick up a slogan, give it a lot of thought, and try to make it something from you, John. Your voice is very distinct in the way this community has been put together - try to build on that tone. If it sounds like a gym teacher and not like you, I think the people in the community will be able to spot it.

Remember - you have something that the big fitness companies don't have - a ridiculously high success rate without the b.s. Sure, it seems kind of obvious, and other guys have it, too, but I think that's something to remember as you yourself have said you don't want to be "the next Tony Little." Tony Little wishes he had the results this site's community has.

Other stuff to buy? How about a lunchbox that doesn't look like it's for children, and that a grown man can take to work without feeling silly? How about a big sticker or poster that says "MY GOAL" and has the requisite John Stone Fitness name-check on it that people can hang up in their apartments, houses, and dorm rooms? You could make it for BF%, pounds lost, muscle size, you'd probably know better than I.

How about a poster that just says "WORK. SLEEP. CUT. BULK. JSF" or something like that. I thought the uses of the word "cut" and "bulk" though certainly not unique to this site, show it's relationship with the bodybuilding paradigm rather than the dieting paradigm, and that's one reason young guys connect with it more than with the atkins south beach whatchamacallit stuff. It's part of your brand, and you can build on that.

Of course, you could get into equipment - some simple stuff like JSF pull-up bars or JSF push-up grips might be successful, though I sense it would be tough to put out product you could be confident in without any sort of industrial connections.

Anyway, enough from me. Good Luck!

16. TheHamburgler

TheHamburgler Well-Known Member

Duuuude JOHN! u could soooo get on oprah!!!! Maybe she'll even give u your own show...Like Dr. Phil!

17. Paul K

Paul K Well-Known Member

Membership

John,

According to what I see, there are 5,600+ members today. I have to believe a majority of us would be willing to buy an annual membership as TaxiTodd mentioned. But, I don't know if discounts from the sponsers etc are that important...

Also...

I know you've said you really don't want to go that way and I know some people are students, just getting started, etc. And I know when I was a student I couldn't afford to spend extra cash (hahah like I had extra). So maybe you could just have a link for donations to offset the cost of the operation that way those of us that feel we can afford to assist may do so...

Paul

18. slush_puppy

I'm not sure that I'm completely convinced yet, but you make a good point.

19. slush_puppy

I had an idea that's not merchandise related, but it is revenue generating, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I think it would be cool if, like the challenges, we had a place where members of the forum could voluntarily put themselves up for sponsorship by others for a given time frame. People could pledge a certain amount for, say each pound that person loses during that time frame. For instance, someone could say that their goal was to lose 8 pounds in a month. Others can pledge a dollar or two for each pound that person loses. Then after a month, the people who pledged money make a donation to the site (via paypal?) for their pledge x pounds lost. Same idea as elementary school bike-a-thons.

What appealed to me about the idea is that the person being sponsored would have some serious motivation... not only in having their progress monitored by those pledging money, but also in knowing that the better they do, the more it supports the site. The people making pledges would benefit by knowing that their pledge not only goes towards motivating a fellow member, but also financially benefitting the site.

I know that logistically there's holes in it, but it sounded like a more fun way to contribute money and give people motivation (who want that kind of public motivation).

20. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

I think this is the best way to get the url in without it looking dumb. The sides of both lines should line up so that it's squared off into a block of text.

If you sell sweatpants with text, and they must have text on the rear (because the only other option I know of is text along the side, and that looks dumb to me, too), I would like ones that say "Like my ass?" then have the site url below it :lol: No, seriously, I would wear it!

JSF thongs: for maximum progress pic exposure! (now that one, I truly am kidding about, and I definitely wouldn't wear).

Please have women's shirts. I have a long, traumatizing history with ill-fitting 'unisex' (which is just another way of saying 'mens') t-shirts designed for people with no hips. I'd be swimming in them from the waist up, but struggling to keep them from riding up at the bottom due to my proportions.

For those people starting out and not quite sure about shouting out their 'success' to the world in promotion of your site, you could have things that basically sum up that they're a "johnstonefitness.com work in progress" or JSF WIP, or any combination that suggests that. I'd gladly promote myself as a JSF work in progress:P

Gym totes! Small ones, too, seen as all I get is a cubby cube to cram my stuff into!

As for colour preferences: I find anything in medium-to-dark heather grey (or heathers, period) of much more interest to me than other stuff. The only flat colour I tend to go for is navy blue.

Oh, and I like Slush_Puppy's pledge idea. That rocks, and if it's possible to do I'd say go for it.