1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

October 2010 TSM: PDCA

Discussion in 'Transformation Spotlights' started by John Stone, Oct 1, 2010.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

This month's spotlight is rather unique because Michelle is the wife of the May 2010 TSM, forum member BJ! After Michelle had her second child she weighed 220 pounds; depressed by her appearance she continued to overeat, eventually reaching 230 pounds. Rock bottom for Michelle was the day her husband told her that he was no longer attracted to her. Obviously the brutal honestly of that statement was devastating, but it also changed everything. Since that terrible day, Michelle has turned her entire life around by losing 80 pounds (so far!) while regaining her confidence, health and self-esteem. Michelle's transformation is the continuation of a family success story, and it's a story I know you'll find very inspiring.

BEFORE PICTURE

before.jpg

CURRENT PICTURE
    current.jpg

BEFORE STATS
    Weight: 230 pounds
    Waist: 42"
    Hips: 46"
    Bicep (not flexed):15"
    Bust: 44"

CURRENT STATS
    Weight: 150 pounds
    Waist: 31"
    Hips: 38"
    Bicep (not flexed): 12"
    Bust: 35"

Why did you decide to make a transformation?
    After I had my second child, I found myself at 220 pounds. After a couple years of thinking it would eventually come off, it didn’t budge. I had no problem maintaining the weight I was at. In the midst of one of the darkest times of my life, I realized I was on a vicious cycle. I hated the way I looked, so I ate more. Then I felt even worse. My marriage stunk, so I ate more. Then I felt even worse. As I sunk further and further into a deep depression, it seemed there was no way to turn things around. Probably the worst day of my life, my husband told me he was not attracted to me anymore. This was devastating, but it was also exactly what I needed to hear. Even though I was a raging ball of fury, he told me he loved me no matter what and would help me through my struggles. I was tired of losing. Either you hate losing enough to change or you hate changing enough to lose.

What sort of planning did you do before you started?
    My husband (BJ) had already started his transformation, so I knew he could mentor me to some extent. He had found the John Stone Fitness forums and told me to start here and read as much as I could. My plan before I started was a joke! I barely knew what I was doing… I mean, obviously. My current thinking had got me to the point I was at and the results I had. I knew I had to change my thoughts before anything else was going to change. So my plan was gain as much knowledge from the RIGHT source. I also surrounded myself with positive and encouraging people. I did not wait for the plan to be perfect to get started. I knew that getting started was the most important thing, even if I didn’t know what I was doing. So many people wait for their circumstances to change before they make their run. Don’t wait, just do it! I will figure it out as I go.

What were your initial goals?
    My BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) is to lose 100 pounds.

I had daily, weekly and monthly goals. My daily goals included making good decisions with my diet and doing the activity for the day, whether it was lifting or cardio. My weekly and monthly goals were usually a weight loss amount, like 2 pounds a week or 10 pounds a month. I wrote everything down in a journal also.

Another important thing I implemented was PDCA. Plan, Do, Check, Adjust. I knew that I need a goal and then a plan to reach it. Once I did the plan for a while I had to check my progress and results and then adjust my plan accordingly. This can be applied to anything in life! I am constantly PDCA-ing, in my marriage, parenting skills, relationships, and fitness… everything, really.

What was your diet and supplement intake like?

I initially started watching my calories and tried to stay under 1500. Then I started looking into the macros and started logging my food on fitday. Once I got a better understanding of the macros, I tried to stay at a 40/40/20 breakdown. BJ helped me a lot with the food choices and having him eating the same way was a tremendous help. Even though I didn’t want to believe it, I knew that the diet was the most important key to losing weight. It took me a long time to see food as fuel and not pleasure. Don’t get me wrong… I like the things I eat, I just couldn’t eat what I really wanted like a bag of chips. A few people have said to me, "I don’t want to never be able to eat again!" As if I am choking down things I hate to eat.

What was your training like?
    In the beginning, I started lifting 3 days a week with full body routines. I was so intimidated of other people and ashamed and embarrassed by what I looked like, that I did not want to go to a gym. I started all my training at home and continue to do so even today. I lifted on M,W,F and did cardio on T, Th, Sat. Cardio consisted of an elliptical machine and stationary bike. After doing this for 20 weeks, I had lost about 40 pounds. Then I started running, using the Couch to 5k running program. On week 24, I started doing strong lifts 5x5. So I was lifting three days a week and running three days a week. On December 5, 2009, I ran my first 5K.

My training changed a lot over time and as I grew stronger, I really enjoyed the lifting. In the beginning of this year, I did the P90X program and it helped shed about 20 pounds. Then I felt like I didn’t know what changes to make. I knew that I needed some very detailed and demanding training to reach my goal. I knew I needed someone to help me have a laser sharp focus with every aspect of my training and that someone was Mastover. I started working with Mastover in July of this year (2010) and it was amazing how quickly I had results. I had no doubt about working with him. He had the results, the knowledge, and the know-how that I was looking for. Again, it goes back to getting the right information from the right source. In other words, don’t ask your unhealthy and overweight relative for fitness advice, but also don’t take it either… for they will freely give it! Going back to the PDCA… Mastover is now planning and checking and adjusting. I just “do” what he says. I have a lot of people say… “How can you have a trainer online? I need someone there to be in my face everyday!” Mastover is there everyday and anytime I need him. I know that it is my responsibility to do what I need to do. If it is to be, it’s up to me! He can guide me and adjust the plan, but if I don’t implement what he says, it’s my fault. I knew that I was at the point that I was committed. It was an investment into my health and my brain (more knowledge). Mastover is not only telling me what to do, but he is helping me understand the “why” behind it. I cannot describe with words how thankful I am to be able to work with Mastover. I am blessed because of his decision and desire to help others. My only regret is that I did not enlist his help sooner.

What obstacles did you encounter, and how did you overcome them?
    Most of my obstacles were my own thinking and limiting beliefs. Surrounding myself with positive and encouraging people, and doing away with negative inputs was what got me through. I shut the cable TV off. Let’s face it… most of the “programming” on TV is not positive and encouraging. I knew that if I wanted different results than most people, I had to not only do the things they weren’t doing, but also not do the things they were doing. I wanted to control my “programming” by choosing what I listened to and who I associated with. I knew I had control over what went into my head and that it makes a HUGE difference. This community was a great place to come and be supported and to watch others on their own journeys.

How has your life changed?
    My life has changed in so many ways! Before I lost the weight and was in a deep depression, I didn’t want to leave the house. I hated being around people, especially people I didn’t know. I would have panic attacks just thinking about being around people. Now I love to go places and meet new people. I am not ashamed of how I look and that gives me a lot of confidence.

My eating habits are COMPLETELY different. I know that I can take these habits into the rest of my life also. I also have two children that I have to be the example for. Children don’t learn by being told, they learn by watching. You know the saying… “Your actions speak so loudly, that I can not hear what you say.” It’s the truth, in many ways.

How did JSF and the JSF Forums help you?
    I am so glad that BJ found this site when starting his transformation. John’s story alone is so inspiring! The stickies were the most helpful in getting started. BJ started a journal way before I did, and I noticed all the support and encouragement he got from it. A community of like-minded people, each on their own journey helps tremendously! I always make it a point to associate with positive people who are chasing goals and dreams. We ultimately become that which we associate with. The people you surround yourself with will influence you, good or bad. I choose to surround myself with people who know their purpose and are fighting for their dreams.

What advice would you offer to others?
    Dream- Struggle- Victory. If you think you will have a victory without struggle, you will never have a victory. It is the struggle that makes us great. It is the struggle that helps us learn and change. When you set out to do something that the average person will never do, expect to be opposed. Expect to be challenged. If you want to change things your life, you will have to change things in your life. If you want different results, you will have to do different and be different. It takes courage to step forth and pursue your dream, consistently. But it is in the setbacks and problems and adversity, that champions are made.

What are your future plans?
    My BHAG is still waiting for me, somewhere in the near future. I know that I must soon set another goal. I might start looking at body fat percentage, but I also know that it will change as I continue to pursue my BHAG. My plans are to not stop and keep setting goals and to keep looking for new dreams.

Any closing thoughts?
    Don’t wait for things to be right to get going… Get going to make things right.

Thank you, John, for this opportunity. It is humbling to be considered in the same arena as the others who have made this victory. It is the ones here who have inspired me along my way and continue to do so everyday!

Thanks for the interview and congratulations on the amazing changes you've made so far, Michelle! Simply outstanding work!

2. BJ

BJ Active Member

Congratulations honey... I am SO PROUD of you!!!!

The changes you've made mentally are every bit as impressive as what you've done physically. There are days that I look at you in amazement. You are not only physically beautiful, but your mind and spirit are every bit as attractive!

Keep cranking... you are an inspiration!

I LOVE YOU

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Michele, you are most definitely one of a kind. No complaints, no excuses, refusing to buckle under pressure. As hardcore as they come. Amazing! Nobody deserves this award like you do. :tu:
    :claplow::claplow::claplow:

4. George

George Senior Member

Great transformation!

5. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Congratulations Michelle, a very worthy recipient of the TSM. I have been following your sucess for some time now and I can see the dedication and hard work you put in.
    Continued sucess with all aspects of your life.
    BJ, you are one lucky guy.

6. Herb-N Kitchen Fairy

Herb-N Kitchen Fairy Active Member

Thank you for the inspiring story.

7. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

congrats mamacita! u kick major ass! :claplow:

8. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Yay!! I intend to direct a number of my g.f.s to this thread. You are really an inspiration and a great role-model....thanks so much for sharing your story with us, and keep up the great work!!!!:bow:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Congratulations Michelle!

10. CA$ON

CA$ON Active Member

WOW!!!!! Congrats!!!! Great job :tucool:

I bet you have BJ drooling ;)

11. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Congrats! Also thanks to you and BJ for being so willing to be transparent about the problems you've faced.

12. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Congrats on your success so far, and cheers to your continued progress.

13. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Wow. Awesome. :claplow:

14. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Congratulations Michelle! Way to go!

15. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

Awesome job!!!

16. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Wow good job, I think its just fantastic that you guys were able to change your lives together!

I must say, hiding under the extra chin you used to have was quite the beautiful face!

17. sudy

sudy Active Member

aww, good stuff! glad you made TSM, you deserve it!! :) well done!

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Well done!

Thanks for sharing your systematic and focused approach. I'm definitely inspired.

19. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Wow! Thanks everyone! It has been an amazing journey, and it isn't over! :D

20. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

I saw Michelle and BJ last night at our class reunion get together. It has been a long time since we have all seen each other and it was a pleasure seeing them both again. :tucool:

All I have to say is they both look great, and you can tell when you see them in person just how much they support each other.

Michelle, I congratulate you on the determination, and the strength to pull yourself from where you were to where you are today. Fantastic job, and keep up the great work. You will reach your goals! :tu: