1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"Obesecentric" Society?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by fatandred, Nov 9, 2004.

1. bni

bni Well-Known Member

"if fitness came in a bottle, everbody would have a great body."

I think people need to be reminded of how exercise is actually fun and it will make you feel better.

hopefully people wake up. being overweight was not me. I did not accept it as my fate [doom]. How odd of me to think it is easier on me to go to the damn gym and work out than it is for me to go home and sleep / nap / sit in front of the tv and look at myself in the mirror and regret how i Look or feel and wish I could do something about it.
    I know I can and that fact that I have the control is awesome. I am not under some spell where I am to become fat. no matter how busy my job is or how many things are coming up in my life. I will fit it in somewhere. I overcome the desires of fast food on tv, the signs on the street. I go they have no effect on me any longer. Nothing registers in my mind as I see it. It is like putting poison in my system now. I still love beer though. lol. but hey I get pretty active when I drink.

I got really fat and it was because I was lazy. just lazy and I was eating like crazy........few meals a day but so much foood at one time. and no exercise. I might eat more now then i did then but the amount of exercise I do levels that or builds mass or rids me of fat. and I eat clean. I no longer suffer with feelings of regret or depression due to being lazy or eating stupid. WHne im lazy, its for a good reason.

I like taking care of my body because It feels like that is how it should be. and my body thanks me and completes a kinda circle.

people dont have time......its weird to go to the gym a few times a week for a lot of people. It was hard at first for me but its now set in stone. I work on other things now too, trying to overcome other obsticals in my life. never a straight line is it.

2. Bunko

Bunko Well-Known Member

Aren't we (myself included) making this whole weightloss issue a little more philosophical than it really is? The way I see it is that at the end of the day it is just this : if you want something that you have control over, go and get it. If you want a lean body and want to look good, go ahead, work out/lose weight/etc. If you want to meet people, go ahead, go to places where people are, interact, communicate. On the other hand if you are fat and happy about it, great, you live your life the way you want.

To summarize, let me quote something that oldschool metalheads might remember, a piece of Judas lyrics from the 80s :
    If you want it
    Come and get it
    Do you want it
    Come and get it

It is just so much easier to whine about all our misfortunes even when they are really only preceived but not real ones.

3. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Consider this. During the recent political campaigns there was a lot of talk about health care. There was also a lot of talk about prescription drugs. But I don't recall any talk on creating healthy kids. Why?

Now I'm not saying that the politicians are to blame for what our society is. I'm saying that the issues of the campaigns reflect what our society is.

Can you name the company's that belong to these tag lines.

"I'm lovin' it"
    "Have it your way "
    "America's Drive In"
    "Run for the border"
    "It's the real thing"
    "Hot eats Cool treats"
    "Hey, where's the cream filling?"
    "The King of Beers"
    "It's not delivery it's ......."
    "Get the door, it's ........."

Just to name a few.

4. BRobinson

BRobinson Well-Known Member

The problem with regarding it as a simple do/do-not decision disregards not only peoples reasons for doing it, but also the insecurities underlying that decision. We need to analyze the cultural desire to lose weight to understand the negative effects of such a desire, such as eating disorders. According to my university's literature, people who log their food intake and macronutrient ratios daily and meticulously qualify as having an eating disorder. From my understanding, that would qualify more than half the people on this site as having an eating disorder. So we, as a group, are generally regarded as abnormal by the rest of society because we pay such close attention to our bodies.

That abnormal label is not necessarily wrongly attributed. We are part of the section of society that is aware of the mechanisms of weight-loss, and so are duly able to consistently do what the rest of the population cannot. And yet, we are just as prey to the tendency to gain weight as the rest of society. We can actively lose weight, but once we have finished losing weight, we are confronted with a dilema: we are still not yet happy with our bodies. Some decide to go off their diets, some bulk, and some stay in a perpetual state of weight loss, all trying to bring themselves ever closer to their idea of a perfect body. What does this inability to be truly happy with our bodies imply about humanity?

These kind of questions can only be answered by analyzing the weight-loss issue as more than a simple do/do-not decision. And unlike our group of fit, erudite individuals, the general population is actively growing to epic proportions, and it can no longer be ignored as simply a lack of will-power or determination.

Obesity is a social disease, arising from social conditions. People, feel an intense need to be skinny because that is the established aesthetic standard to which they are compared. Fat people are subtly discriminated against throughout society, and people recognize the general stigma associated with obesity. But because knowledge of how to lose weight effectively and safely is not well established, you find people engaging in detrimental behaviors in an effort to lose weight. These detrimental behaviors can be prevented, but to be prevented they have to be understood. Understanding cannot be attained by simply regarding the issue as do/do-not, but rather must be analyzed as a system of cumulative causes and effects.

5. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Hell yes we did, myself included.

It's about what you want, how you want to live and how you plan to get it. The rest of the world be damned, be selfish and revel in it for once. I do.

6. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right.

I get caught up in searching and searching for "deep causes" sometimes.

Sometimes, if you're in a bad spot, and you know how to get out of the bad spot, why you got there, or, more particularly, why large numbers of people get there "in society," just isn't the point.

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The Physical and Social structure in US makes it hard

It should not be so tough as it is to stay in shape and eat and be healthy. Today being trim is the exception not the rule. 50 years ago it was the reverse, both as kids as well as adults. Our social and economic structure has changed as well as our physical milieu.

It is great to have a support place like John Stone Fitness but it is still tough to fight eveything surrounding us that militates against being healthy in food and exercise.

Our community should support our being healthy and fit; making it easier to make the healthy choices. That just doesn't happen. We have to join gyms, hire trainers, plan food plans, prepare special foods, find shortcuts when time doesn't allow preparation, make the best of "bad choices" when stuck, be aware of how almost everything around us is unhealthy, take supplements to make up for shortfalls in our real food, etc.

Our lives have to counteract our society instead of being a part of it.

It shouldn't be that way. It didn't used to be that way. I remember as a kid when it started to become dangerous for our dads to shovel snow on the front walk and driveway--because they risked a heart attack! Every winter there were reports of men in their 40's and 50's dropping dead of a heart attack after a snow fall. Already our parents' lives had become too sedantary to live.

But all we can do right now individually is be mindful of our environment and imposed lifestyle and do the best we can to change our own direction despite the forces around us to give in to the mainstream lifestyle.