1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

obese at 108 lbs!?!?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by tammy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. tammy

tammy Well-Known Member

I went to this website
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

I plugged in my numbers
    108 lbs
    27.5 waist
    5.7 inch wrist
    34 inch hip
    8.5 inch forearm

and I get over 32% body fat :eek:

I know I'm not fit but I never would have considered myself obese. I wasn't completely sure where to measure on the forearm but even with slightly adjusted numbers I'm still hovering near 32%, which according to the site is on the borderline of obese!

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Your body might not work with the formula. The formulas are for an average person. What ever the hell they decide an average body is.

Don't believe the formula results. If you're worried about BF get some calipers.

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Being taller myself, I can't really generate a mental image of what your numbers would look like.

However, I think when people hear obese they tend to think "morbidly obese." TV show obese. That's not the medical definition of obesity. Obesity is a step towards morbidly obese, but it's not quite what we picture in our minds when we hear the word. We imbue it with too much (or not enough) meaning. It's a descriptor.

4. jeremy155rr

jeremy155rr Well-Known Member

I was told I was obese when I was at my fittest (think 10% bf). The guy giving me the exam laughed it off and told me Evander Holyfield was considered morbidly obese by the same medical chart standards as he was using. Those charts are the ones saying I should weigh 138-150, for Gods sake i'm a guy! I've weighed -150 before but its was kinda scary, not something sustainable - i'm not a bodybuilder :lol: