1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Oats - how to grind them and make them tastier?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by TestType, Dec 10, 2006.

1. TestType

TestType Active Member

I recently ran out of my chocolate flavored protein shake and decided to try out mixing oats and protein powder as I've seen quite many of you do and recommend. Bought some whole oats and threw them in the blender but that didn't work out so good, had to chew on most of them.

Putting them in water overnight and then throwing them in the blender works ok but it's a hassle. Also, I find the taste to be quite awful.
    You guys have any tips for me? Maybe I shouldn't be buying whole oats? Anything that you can easily add to improve the taste?

2. Hoss

Hoss Well-Known Member

Splenda? That's the only way I can eat them.
    Mix in some fruits, too.

3. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You need to use a coffee bean grinder.

It will be like "oatmeal powder" when you're done. :)

4. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Agree. I buy Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, grind them in a coffee grinder and add the powder to my shake. Don't even notice them there, other than the fact that is seems more filling when you drink it.

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I do mine in the blender all the time..? :confused:

I just put a cup or so of dry large flake oats (I think this is the same as "rolled" oats) and blend away until I basically have oatmeal flour. I then take the "flour" and throw it in shakes when that's what I want in a shake. Can't taste it at all. Sometimes leaves a bit more residue at the bottom, though, that's for sure.

It worked the same with quick oats, as well.

6. BreakingPoint

BreakingPoint Well-Known Member

I just throw my protein powder, oatmeal (old-fashioned), water, ice cubes, splenda, cinnamon into a blender and it blends fine. Tastes like a milkshake and just as smooth too.

7. Ziegenbak

Ziegenbak Active Member

I tried the grinder thing, and the protein shake was causing me to gag. Not gag as in bad flavor, but gag as in choking due to the texture. Anybody got any ideas why that would happen?

8. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Probably not enough water.

9. TestType

TestType Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Went today and bought a coffee bean grinder. It was much smoother this time and didn't taste nearly as awful. Will have to get something to flavor it though, I'm quite craving my old chocolate shake right now, and I actually felt it was more filling than the oats. Don't know if you can get splenda here in Iceland, at least I've never heard of it. Would also prefer to steer clear of artificial sweeteners as well as sugar.

Anybody tried adding peanut butter to the mix? Would that be a good idea nutrition wise?

10. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

PWO? Depends what you "believe".

Sugar free jello pudding powder
    stevia
    fruit(strawberries, blueberries, bananas etc...)
    honey

Would all work

#10 Gordo, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  11. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

are you using plain unflavoured protein powder? :confused:

that might be why it still tastes like fresh ass

12. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Do you like cooked oats? I.e. mix rolled oats with milk and microwave or boil for 3 minutes..?

13. TestType

TestType Active Member

Good suggestions, thanks. I think I have some honey in the cupboards, will try that out next time. I will usually have a shake in the morning and sometime before going to sleep and PWO on workout days. I read somewhere it wasn't good to add fat to a PWO shake, but I didn't know if it was true or not so that's why I asked about the peanut butter.

Yeah, I'm using unflavored (whey) protein... And it does indeed taste like fresh ass when mixed with nothing but oats and water :lol:
    Didn't even know you could buy flavoured protein powder!

You guys all maintain that oats is the best way to go? I must say that after my initial tries with oats I am very tempted to go out and buy some tasty chocolate flavoured carb/protein powder again.

Edit:

Yes, I do like oatmeal in fact :)

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Well, for me, I use the oats as a part of my PWO shake. I use oats that are ground (as discussed above), half a banana, and some frozen fruit or maybe some dextrose with a variety of flavoured whey (or protein blend like Nitrean) powders. I never use plain unflavoured whey. So my shakes are all vanilla (two types - Nitrean and naturally sweetened Kaizen whey sweetened with stevia), chocolate, strawberry banana, or orange dreamsicle.

These shakes make me happy. :nod: