1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NYBarbells > Opinion on quality of lat pulldown for cage

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by MGB, Nov 9, 2004.

1. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

I've used a lot of less experience lat pulldown attachments and really want something that's very smooth....professional quality or close to it. Before I lay out cash for the NYBarbell cage and lat pulldown, would love to hear from anyone on their opinions on this.

Thanks in advance!:flex:

2. Dont_quit

Dont_quit Well-Known Member

just a note, i have the powertec cage with lat pulldown and it's VERY smooth, and even has a shroud to cover the pulleys

3. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

So, on a scale from 1-5 on a compared-to-gym-quality-smoothness, how would you rate the PowerTec lat attachment? I tried to Parabody and it was incredibly smooth. A little concerned the PowerTec will still be a sticky.

4. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Why?...I mean why would it be sticky, or even, why would you think it would be sticky? I know that alot of people get hung up in the comparison between bushing, and linear bearing guides. Yes...linear bearing guides are superior, but this type of system will also cost more, and I believe that it is worth the extra money if you can afford to go this route.
    As far as bushing type rod guides go...the weight is traveling straight up and down. There is very minimal lateral force being exerted against the bushings themselves, so the wear factor there is pretty close to nill. The worst thing that would ever happen, would be that you completely disassemble the unit sometime in the distant future to install new bushings. In regards to stickiness...the coefficient of friction between nylon and chrome steel, when you've got more than 100lbs wanting to be back on the ground because of gravity...is equal to about "0".

5. C Man

C Man Well-Known Member

6. G_Man

G_Man Well-Known Member

7. Dont_quit

Dont_quit Well-Known Member

i'd say it is as good as a gym machine. 5/5. and the shroud is really a great feature.

8. goofnut

goofnut Well-Known Member

my home made lat pull

I made my own lat pulldown unit on a squat cage. It is absolutely 100% perfect,... as smooth as the best gym quality machines. I found 4 metal quality pulleys and fastened 2 to the front top of the cage and 2 to the rear top of the cage. I bought some aircraft cable, and 2 solid metal poles, or guide rods, or whatever you call them....you know, the things that the weight stack rides up and down on. I bought 2 linear bushings which move up and down the guide rods, and bolted a 4x4 (wood) onto the linear bushings, and fastened a barbell on top of the 4x4 wood and fastened the cable onto the 4x4 so it pulls the barbell up and down, along the guide rods. To change the weight I would add or remove plates from the barbell. Now later, when I got some more money, I replaced the barbell by buying a weight stack so I can quickly change the weights. Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it, in case you decide you might like to price various pieces. To fasten the pulleys to the top of the squat cage, I got someone to weld me a few pieces, after I thought of how I'd like it done. I put my squat cage on top of some 2x8 wood, and drilled holes in the 2x8 wood, to place the guide rods in to keep them from moving around.

9. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

goof, can you take pictures of it? That sounds pretty cool.

10. goofnut

goofnut Well-Known Member

ok

It will take a while for me to get the pictures as i don't have a camera. A month ago, I thought I'd have a camera by this time but now I think it will be another month before I get a camera. When I get a camera I will look for this thread to post pics or I'll just put some pics on my webpage and post a link to that page.

11. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're already sold on a lat pull down machine but I just want to point out that pullups are free.