1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Nutritional Frustration

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mpershing, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mpershing

mpershing Active Member

I am a 44 yo endomorph male. I tend to gain weight easily, and I think I am carb sensitive. I lift 3 days/week and interval cardio on an elliptical 3 days/week. About a month ago, I started a nutrition log on fitday.com. First, I was shocked to see how much I was actually eating in a day. But I have been following what I thought was a nutritionally good eating pattern, but haven't been losing any fat. I started at 266, went up to 270, and now I am at 265 - all at around 30% bf. According to the charts i have found, I should be eating 2700 calories/day. I cut my calories 20% to lose about 2 lbs/week. Here is a sample of my typical day:

CALS PROT CARB FAT
    4:30 AM Workout
    6:45 AM .5 C(Dry) Oats
    1 C Skim Milk
    Whey Protein
    Multivitamin
    Flaxseed 487 59 40 11

9:45 AM 1 C Kashi Go Lean
    .5 C Skim Milk
    .25 C Raisins 292 18 65 1

12:00 PM 2 C Spinach
    6 OZ Chicken Breast
    .5 C Tomatoes
    1 T Olive Oil 426 54 6 20

2:30 PM 1 C FF Cottage Cheese
    1 OZ Almonds 332 36 15 16

5:00 PM Kashi Bar
    1 Small Apple 203 6 36 5

7:00 PM 6 OZ Grilled Mahi
    .5 C Brown Rice
    1 C Steamed Broccoli 320 45 28 3

9:30 PM Whey Protein
    .5 C Skim Milk
    .5 Banana 293 50 23 2

TOTALS 2353 268 213 58
    45.56% 36.21% 22.18%

my nutrition journal is at

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=mpershing

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have been proud of the fact that I have been getting into the gym every morning and more so that I haven't been cheating myself food wise, so it has been disappointing to see a lack of progress on the scale.

Thanks

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

If maintance is 2700 you need to be 1000 calories below that to lose 2lbs a week. I think 2700 might be low for you but if it was right you don't drop by 20% but 500 calories per pound per week.

I wonder if it should be 2700 before activity multiplier :confused:

You lift on an empty stomach?

3. mpershing

mpershing Active Member

Robert,

I did some further research and found that my RMR is 2419. Multiply by activity factor, and my calories should be 3629. Subtract 1000 = 2629 calories/day to lose 2 lbs/week. Is this correct? Yes, I lift on an empty stomach; get up at 4:10 in the gym by 4:30. Any suggestions on this or my diet in general?

Thanks,

Mike

4. drewrockinmn

drewrockinmn Active Member

Mike,

If you need to lift that early in the morning, you NEED to get some nutrition in your body before you go about putting it under the stress of weight lifting. I was doing the same thing up to about a month ago. I started getting up a little earlier and having some oatmeal and egg whites before heading out. As of this week, I have rearranged my work schedule so that I can go in the evenings on my way home. Others can probably do better with the "why" on this one, but you aren't doing yourself any favors by lifting in a fasted state from sleeping!

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

My suggestion is that I would not train 20 minutes after waking up in the morning. You haven't given your spine sufficient time to decompress. You can severely injure yourself, mainly with the discs of your back. Training fasted in the AM is fine. I've done it for most of my career, but you should definitely take in a protein shake beforehand and/or sip on a workout cocktail of some bcaa's/glutamine/creatine. There are several good ones out there, or you can concoct your own. If you are truly endo, your particular bodytype does better with lower protein levels. You must also be wary of the foods you eat, as most should be of the "clean" variety, especially carbs as insulin sensitivity is amplified with endomorphs. Look into eliminating starchy carbs from your latter meals. Good luck and welcome to JSF! :)

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Don't know but sounds better :tu:

7. med267

med267 Well-Known Member

Checked you Fitday for August 07. 2007 BAD !!!!

I just checked your Fitday & since I see you are still stuck & we have the same stature (6'4") & you sound like you are where I was.... here is what I recommend to change your body compositions based on what I see at Fitday.

First disregard normal metabolic calories burned formulas.... they most likely dont apply to you. | Go lower by 250 calories each week until a tape measure around your waist shows a obvious loss. Dump scale & calipers. Once you see a good loss
    keep that diet until you stall again.

Don't reduce calories until you clean up your diet otherwise you are wasting time fighting insulin & packing away fat.

Here is what you ate on August 7th 07:

Premium Protein ( 1 serving ) 140 3 3 27
    Oatmeal, cooked, regular, fat not added in cooking ( 1 cup, cooked ) 145 2 25 6
    Milk, cow's, fluid, 2% fat ( 2 cup ) 242 9 23 16
    Raisins ( 0.25 cup ) 109 0 29 1
    Flaxseed oil ( 0.5 tablespoon ) 60 7 0 0
    Psyllium seed, husks ( 0.25 cup, husks ) 8 0 13 0
    Sugar, raw ( 2 teaspoon ) 31 0 8 0
    Cottage Cheese, Fat Free ( 1 cup ) 160 0 10 30
    Ground beef, regular, cooked ( 5 oz, cooked ) 401 29 0 33
    Rice, brown, medium-grain, cooked ( 1 cup ) 218 2 46 5
    Beans, string, green, raw ( 1 cup ) 34 0 8 2
    Carrots, baby, raw ( 12 medium )

Cut the raw sugar
    Cut brown rice
    Get rid of of Oatmeal,raisins & cows milk.
    Cut all kinds of cereals & cereal bars....they are poison for an endomorph.

A good breakfast for an endomorph is 16 oz of nonfat no sugar added yogurt with sunflower seeds (2T)
    Pumpkin Seeds (2T) & sesame seeds(2T). It is also fast to prepare.

This is filling & releases protein slowly into your system. Get away from breads & cereals for breakfast.

Switch & fill in with non starchy vegetables & add more fish or lean meat until you are still around 1500-1800 calories per day.

Look up EDT training on the net or Muscle Logic book on Amazon new for $4.99.

Focus on big compound movements & quit the long aerobics. That is destroying your metabolism.

You need to up your intensity, but cut your training time to like 15 minutes on 4 non consecutive days per week.

Just try it for 2 weeks following EDT. Don't push sets to failure almost ever unless you like no progress. It is explained well if you read all of Muscle Logic.

I am sure you think you are cursed as I thought for years, but you are actually blessed you just don't know it yet, because you have heard too much misinformation when it comes to training.

Contact me through forum if you need more info. Good luck !

#7 med267, Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2007