1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Nutridiary.com offline?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by leftyx, Feb 27, 2008.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Does anyone have any information about Nutridiary.com? I went to the site this morning and it seems to be offline.

2. Archistrategos

Archistrategos Active Member

Worked for me just now. Sites can temporarily go down or become otherwise inaccessible for numerous reasons. Best bet is to check back later.

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

It was back up by afternoon EST.

I only asked since the site isn't supported anymore by anyone and seems to be surviving on ad revenue only. Who knows how long it will last.

Having hundreds of foods and meals invested in the site as well as 2 years of my life makes me very nervous about it's future.

4. Archistrategos

Wow, interesting, I hadn't heard (I used NutriDiary briefly a couple of years ago). I don't suppose the site allows you to export your food logs to a spreadsheet (Excel, CSV, etc.)?

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

No, you used to be able to do that. But the owner stopped supporting the upgrade that allowed that functionality.

Can I ask what you are using now? I may be in the market for a new site. I tried Fitday, but I don't feel comfortable with it. Anything else?

6. Archistrategos

How concerned are you about trying to preserve your meal history? Or are you just looking for an alternative site to start anew?

Actually I've just been using a notepad to record everything (ditto with workouts). :) Ended up being easier for me. I used NutriDiary primarily to plan out my nutrition plan...made things like figuring out macros pretty easy.

7. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I have my head in the sand on that one. My meal history is something that I would miss, but it's not impossible to live without. I have a lot of my meals in my head by now.

Like you said I used Nutridiary to figure macros. What I liked was having those prepared meals I created. If anything happens to Nutridiary then those will be gone. But the information on nutrients is available elsewhere onthe Net. Guess I would have to start over.

How's taht Notepad system working for oyu? It's not a web-based system meaning you couldn't update unless you're home or carry a laptop with you. Or an iPhone? Hmmm wonder how that would work?

8. Archistrategos

Argh, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Best bet is to start recording the meals you have entered -- I would recommend storing them locally in Excel, or online via Google Documents, rather than just copying them to another site like FitDay just in the off chance that that site goes down too.

That doesn't save your meal history, but at least you won't have to recreate your meals from scratch if NutriDiary were to bite the dust sooner than expected. As far as saving the history... you'd have to resort to writing an app that would do screen-scrapping to pull the data out. Ugh. Unfortunately a lot of these sites seem to use data import/export as an incentive to upgrade, so this is probably all par for the course.

Like you, I didn't particularly care for FitDay, but I haven't looked at it in a couple of years, so maybe it has improved. You can always figure your plan out with it and then record things however you see fit.

Old skool notepad! Pen and paper, just like with a workout log. :) I don't travel often and I workout at home so its perfect for me. I should note that I don't record every bit of food that passes my lips, it would be too tedious for me, online or offline, and I'm more interested in trends at any rate. What I do is design a plan, and have alternatives for each meal so that I can swap things in and out without having to figure out on the fly how a change impacts my overall daily total. So things may get a bit off if I'm swapping here or there but in general I'm sticking to my overall goals. It really helps when I decide that I'm just not feeling the oatmeal today (or whatever). I'm the kind of person to obsess over things like weighing the portions out, etc., so to keep my sanity I figure that all out at the beginning and then hopefully relax after that. :D

Let me know what you end up using!

(BTW, RE: iPhone... I'm tempted to pick one up this summer now that it supports Exchange and assuming they announce a 3G model, at which point it would be temping to find or write some workout apps as having everything in a mobile form would be ideal... I'm SOL right now if I decide to do a workout away from the home gym)

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Hi again. Nice post. Looks like the Nutridiary.com problem was a hiccup. Apparently the site must be providing enough income for someone to keep it going.

Getting a copy of my meals would be difficult. They're stored in so many layers: foods, meals, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks. I have close to 300 meals listed and hundreds of individual foods that I've added to te database.

A mobile app would be perfect. But for now, I'm sticking my head in the sand and going with Nutridiary. There is no guarantee for any online site to stay, at least this one is free. I looked up MyFoodDiary.com but they want 9 bucks a month, with no guarantee they will be there in the future.

This isn't rocket science right? I can always start over, it's just a pain to have to count things twice. Oh well, that's life. :eat:

10. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Found a neat little site for tracking workouts, cardio, nutrition; and the site has a iPhone app. As of now the site is free. It's called Gyminee.com and you can check it out now.

Also it has an iPhone app that you can use now. I'd like to check it out at the Apple store and see how it works on an iPhone.

It seems to serve as a good substitute for Nutridiary.com. I'm using the two in parallel to see how good they are. I'll post my findings after I use the two for a week or so. I'm excited that this may be the perfect app for keeping track of all the items needed.

11. Archistrategos

Thanks for the link, Jordan!

I like how the food system records more vitamins/minerals than NutriDiary (which only tracks Vitamin A & C, Calcium, and Iron), and I like how fat is broken down into Saturated, Trans, Polyunsaturated, and Monounsaturated (NutriDiary only asks for Saturated). On the other hand, I wish the vitamins & minerals could be entered in mg rather than %DV (NutriDiary let you choose), especially since Calcium and Potassium must be entered in mg. You have to be careful when entering the info so you don't accidentally put mg where %DV should go, or vice versa.

It seems useful to add all the foods you enter manually as Favorites so you can find them easily...such "custom" foods aren't shown in a special list, like in NutriDiary, so you have to search for them like everything else (I like to have everything in a list so I can find it quickly and easily).

The other thing is that because the site functions like a social networking site, every custom food you enter is global -- everyone can see it, and use it in their own meals. An interesting idea, but you end up with a lot of duplicates and "meals" that are masquerading as individual foods. For example, searching for "kashi crunch" brings up 3 pages of results with duplicates of the base food, plus meals: Kashi with nonfat milk, serving size 1 bowl (which is how large exactly?); Kashi with reduced fat milk, serving size 2 cups (2 cups of kashi with how much milk? Or...?), etc.

It's an interesting idea but I almost feel like I should enter each of my foods myself to ensure they are correct, which of course contributes to the clutter.

The iPhone app is really just a barebones mobile site, so you can use it with any internet-capable device (presumably it's "iPhone" branded to hook in to Apple's marketing :cool:). I just tried it with my Windows Mobile and Opera Mini and it worked fine (http://www.gyminee.com/iphone).

So overall Gyminee looks like a decent replacement for NutriDiary. Still no data export :blank: but as above that's probably to be expected.

12. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Thanks for the breakdown. You're definitely more "picky" :D than I am. I gushed about the site, but you're really more analytical than I am. Been using it about 2 weeks now and seems to be a good replacement. I've dropped Nutridiary.

You're right about most things. The iPhone app isn't really an app like you said. And the iPhone app is missing some important functions that the .com site has. There was some talk on the site (in the iPhone group,) about creating an app with the SDK that would be more useful. I don't know how that will turn out.

What's your userid on Gyminee? I'll add you as a gymbuddy. :nod:

13. Archistrategos

"Archistrategos" :)

Rumors abound of a 3G iPhone at WWDC in June! :dreamy: