1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NRL Rugby Weight training?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by SOULFLY, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SOULFLY

SOULFLY Well-Known Member

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone round here new anything about Professional Rugby players and there diet and weight training programs
    eventually this is what i want to look like (below)
    Sonny Bill is 105kg, 191cm
    i believe attaining a look like this is very achievable? yes or no?

Considering im 5 months older and 20kg lighter it makes me wonder what there diet look like and the weights they press. if anyone knows could they please let me know

Attached Files:

2. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

Sonny Bill Williams is like a super human, but I know what you're saying.

I had a quick look, and found this on the AIS website but it doesn't say a lot about the types of programs they might do, just confirms what I was thinking, was that there'd be a lot of aerobic conditioning (speed and agility training) as well as weights to increase muscle mass.

3. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Pro rugby players are in very good cardiovascular condition and they also lift pretty heavy.

Here are the All Blacks in the weight room:

the highlight is the 3x484# box squat. So it's not super heavy, but they are not fooling around.

Here is some more including the sprinting type stuff you would expect:

They get tested on the sprinting and running with sandbags:

And of course they shove heavy things around:

4. kateykate

Yeah, their cv fitness is astounding. I watched one of the Roosters players run the length of the field to score a try, while fending off a couple of Tigers players. Speed, agility, and endurance. Also *lots* of running backwards, which is something we tend not to do normally.

Soulfly, touch football might be a good way to get similar aerobic training, without the impact of league. IIRC Benji Marshall was a touch footy player (which in part accounts for his great step).

5. SOULFLY

Yeah i saw that tri this morning on the news it was pretty crazy!!

zenpharaohs thank you ill check those out after i hit weights today i never thought of looking on youtube :tu:

kateykate thanks also i read the ais page thanks, im a AFL fan bombers:cry: , I dont really even follow rugby but its my aim to eventually look look him/rugby players build.
    Im not wanting to really train aerobically like rugby players, just more so learn about there diets and weights ;) i may email the bulldogs or even the players and see if i can get an insight that way! they prob wont help but

6. kateykate

lol... I don't follow AFL at all, the rules don't make sense to me. :lol:
    I just reckon that the aerobic fitness is a really big component of it. I mean, these guys train to sprint, but they've got to have endurance as well.
    But, email the players or the club and see how you go. Post the answer on here if you get one! :)

7. SOULFLY

Lol i could say the same for rugby but after watching it a few times I seemed to have picked it up.
    yeah i will do that and if i do get any answer i will post here!