1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Not sure what direction....

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Kebas, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Kebas

Kebas Well-Known Member

Sorry about the long winded post, just giving as much detail as possible. My name is Chris, 19 years old, medium build, 5'10, not sure what body type (endomorphic, etc?). I'm new to the forums. I actually got motivated into weight loss in a strange way...I took pills for my ADHD and it appeared to speed up my metabolism, and I started to loose weight. I took this medicine for two months, then eventually withdrew from it. This was my motivation to start loosing weight. Now, Ive been cutting down massively and I'm eating healthy (Well compared to what I was eating before!). Before I started taking the medicine, I was at 235 lbs and I am 5'10. Within 3 months, I was down to 195. I was not starving myself, nor hugely changing my eating habits....this was mostly the medicine doing this to me (to my knowledge). I began to cut pretty much all sweets and candy out of my snacks, and I feel EXTREMELY guilty now eating these kinds of things (Once in a while I give in, and eat say...10 potato chips, rarely). Right now, I hover around the 185 range. I got a gym membership and started right out when I hit about 190.
    Anyway, I had a few questions, and could not extract too much direct information from the forums. These are my current habits. I eat 3 meals a day (Reading these forums I discovered I should be having about 5, which is hard for me most days considering school and work). Three meals usually consist of after 12 PM (Im a night person, I usually stay up all night and dont wake up until about 12 PM...I get the nightly amount of sleep though. I plan to reform this and be up much earlier). I eat tuna fish, sandwiches w/ low fat mayo on wheat bread and 1 slice cheese, canned soups that are low in fat and sodium, chicken when avalible and small portions of whatever my parents make for supper (Sometimes fatty stuff which I stay away from). I endulge in fruits, having sometimes 5 apples a day. Also, I eat low fat yogurts and low calorie/sugar Ice thingies.
    Gymwise, I have been doing 45 minutes on the bike. Says my heart rate is around 130-140 while im pedaling, NO clue if thats low intensity, high intensity, but i dont have any breathing problems doing it, and im finding it harder to get my heart rate that high doing the same resistance now. Also, I dont begin to sweat until about 20 minutes into the workout, my legs just feel sore while im pedaling after a while. I usually do my workout weights (Not extremely strenuous though) after my cardio. I do this about 3 times a week. I have only been doing upper body exersizes (Chest, abs, arms, back, etc) and completely not doing lower body (besides doing 50 squats every night, thats about it.) Nightly, I do 30 pushups (For some reason, I still find it very tiring to do pushups....even after 3 months of doing it every night), 235 crunches, and the 50 squats.
    Today I tried the treadmill. I set it to 4.7 speed and a 2.0 incline - this being brisk walking for me and not having too much trouble. I did this for 45 minutes...and about 5 minutes of it (on and off of course) could be considered high intensity (I set the machine to 6.5 and 7.0 speed, slower running). The machine stated I burned about 410 calories in that workout as opposed to the 220 I usually get on the bike. It said my heart rate was hanging around 140-150 most of the time and when I sped up it said 180 (I am inclined to think this was wrong as my heart wasnt beating and I felt perfectly fine besides a LITTLE out of breath) In addition to this, I felt like I had a MUCH more fulfilling workout and felt better about myself.
    Thus far, the approach seems to be working, I have kept loosing weight, and have kept it off. I in no way starve myself, and when I am hungry, I eat. I basically "listen to my body" and try to fill it with the healthiest things I can find (Well, I show SOME restraint, but you know what I mean). I have hit a plateau now at 185 lbs, and I have been staying and maintaining that weight for a few weeks now. I have seen noticable gains in muscle mass in my arms, and (under the smaller man boobs) some chest muscle. I still have fat in my stomach, lovehandle, chest, and very upper leg area.
    Now after all this I have a few questions....From reading this site, I have discovered that doing weightlifting after cardio is a bad thing. The negative, is the gym is about 25 minutes from my house, and I cant afford the gas to keep going back and forth, so I have a problem there. Any advice how to mitigate cardio and weightlifting, yet make less trips to the gym, or some way I can do them close together, or is this alltogether impossible (unless I wanted to do something unhealthy). Is it unhealthy because I might be too tired to do weights, or is this somehow impeding my progress. I also know that another weakness in this routine is that I do not work my lower body - I plan on changing that this week and shifting do doing upper twice a week and lower once a week. Another question I have - is there any benefits to running as opposed to the bike? As I said, I burned almost double the calories in the same time period, and I didnt feel like I was gunna die or anything (only felt tiredish when I pumped up the speed for minute and a half intervals) Is this too much cardio doing it 3 times a week or am I following the right road. My main questions are
    1) My 185 plateau...my body APPEARS to still be thining down...is it possible that I am gaining some weight in muscle and loosing fat tissue (I had NO WORKOUT EXPERIENCE prior to the start of this, Hell I could barely lift the 45 bar straight when I went in the first time).
    2) I seem to have "bitch tits" or gynomasticia or however it's spelled. Is it possible that this is excess fat? They have shrunk GREATLY in appearence and I am praying that it is just fat that is going to go away. RIght now, they are fairly small, not visible through a shirt, but they are still annoying as hell. As said, I still have a stomach (fairly decent sized even though I can suck it in completely now) so it MIGHT just be fat.

Again, sorry about the long winded post. Any comments/answer to a question would be greatly appreciated! Also, if I am reasking something in a previous post I apologize, but I searched and found no incredibly helpful answer to my questions here. Thanks!

P.S. I have NO clue what my body fat % is...an easy way to find out would be good too. I don't have a machine as of now -)

2. BD231

BD231 Well-Known Member

Haha, those ADD meds really do kill the appetite. I shed some pounds when I was taking that stuff in my younger days, though I remember feeling drugged out which was not cool.

3. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

(1) Yes, you could be gaining muscle and losing fat. After reading through your routine, I'm sure that many members will have suggestions for refinements (or all out changes).

(2) The "bitch tits", like the belly, are probably just fat and will eventually go away. I wouldn't worry about them.

Is there a way for you to do your cardio away from the gym? Say a jog in the morning and then a trip to the gym in the evening for weight training?

4. Stecman

Stecman Well-Known Member

There is a new medication that's not quite as bad as the stimulants. If you still need something maybe ask your doc about Strattera?

Try mybodycomp.com for a way to measure body fat. Not too bad of an estimate from what I heard.

5. Kebas

Kebas Well-Known Member

Strattera is what I took. That is the medication that caused me to drop weight. Only side effects I got were.....slight slight ache urinating (sometimes), and well...the other one...you know what Im referring to.

6. RM. Andersson

RM. Andersson Well-Known Member

Why do you have to do your cardio in the gym? You could do some other type of cardio(like running, walking outdoors) so that you dont need to go to the gym to do it.

And you could perhaps put some healthy snacks in a bag and eat them at school/work so that you get more than 3 meals/day.

Regards!

7. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

I would suggest doing your weight training when you first get to the gym, then drink a post workout shake/meal (PWM) [there are several threads that talk about these and explain what's good for them], then do your cardio, I prefer doing about 3.0 (spead) at a 10% incline on the treatmill for about half an hour. I also do cardio in the morning for about 45 minutes, but since you don't want to make two trips you might just up the 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. But make sure you drink that PWM before you do your cardio so that your fueling your muscles while your walking, that way your body won't try to canibalize the muscle and will go straight to your fat... hope that helps ;-)

8. Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If you are having a carb PWO before your cardio you most definatly wont use fat. It will use the sugar you just ingested !

9. Kebas

Kebas Well-Known Member

Update...OMG....I think they are going away....by they....the infamous man boobs. They have gotten so small now that if I stand in a certain posture they ARENT VISIBLE. YEEEES. Anyways, I didnt think that radical of a change would be apparent in FOUR days.
    Btw...my weight still hovering around 185 (Read 186 even). I MUST be doing something right if my body is undergoing this transformation. Today I had 3 meals, but the meals were Small bowl of Coco Puffs in the AM, two whole wheat bread sandwiches (no cheese) used low fat italian dressing as the mayo substitute, some pepper, salad and pickles on it. For supper I had low fat chicken noodle soup. I throw in a low fat yogert some nights and apples/pears/peaches for snacks. I hope I am going in the right direction with foods now (besides not being the 5 a day at the moment). I dont measure the calories but it seems to be working...

10. Chameleon

now as it was explained to me (and I don't have conclusive evidence, just what I was told) is that the sugar in the PWM helps to move the protien to your muscles more quickly and that because your muscles need the protien it is shutled to them (the muscles) rather quickly so that if you do your cardio 15 minutes or so after the PWM the sugar would be fueling your muscles and not being used for your cardio effort...now this may not be true if your using HIT but if you do slow cardio it 'should' work... but I could be wrong... this is just what I've heard ;-)

11. supirman

supirman Well-Known Member

That's all you're eating? That's not so healthy!

And where the hell's your protein intake? [​IMG]

12. StoneGRMI

StoneGRMI Well-Known Member

Eat more, and not more coco puffs.

13. Kebas

Kebas Well-Known Member

Ok, well the diet part always confuses me. I never know if I am eating enough or too little, many fresh food products don't have nutrition labels so how can I could calories, carbs, and fat on those...My parents dont give me much choice with options in the foods they buy (Which usually consist of canned raviolis', high fat meats, etc). Doesnt leave me much choice to eat alot of healthier things (especially vegetables). If I were to buy something tomorrow at the store (And hide and mark my stuff so noone else eats it =P)...and if anyones bored...what should I buy to satisfy this kind of diet? What are good things to buy for snacks? The supplement part always confused me too; I will have to read more into those, and see where to buy them and what each one does.

Here is my info, Did all those calculations on the diet thread and read it all the way through. I did most of the calculations for 2 lbs per week.

Height - 175.26 Cms
    Weight - 85.28 Kg

1234.336 + 876.3 - 129.2

BMR = 1981.436 Cal

3071.226 Cal

To loose 1 lb per week: 2571.226 Cal
    To loose 2 lb per week: 2071.226 Cal

752 cal protein daily. 36% protein daily.
    414 cal fat daily. 20% fat daily. 46g fat daily.
    911 cal carbs daily. 44% carbs daily. 228g carbs daily.

Macronutrient Percentages.

Carbohydrates : Protein : Fat
    44 : 36 : 20

14. Chameleon

okay.. well.. I'm not the one to tell you how much of what to eat, when... BUT.. I can give you some suggestions for what types of food to buy... fruit is always good (apples, oranges, banana's), eggs, chicken breasts, fish, any veggies (dark green ones are very good for you)... low fat/fat free yogurt, low fat cottage cheese... you can't go wrong with the above foods... hopefully someone else can expand this list for you ;-)~

15. StoneGRMI

StoneGRMI Well-Known Member

oatmeal, nuts, olive oil...Chameleon did a good job on giving you a staple of a good foods to start puting together a eating plan that fits YOU. "fruit is always good (apples, oranges, banana's), eggs, chicken breasts, fish, any veggies (dark green ones are very good for you)... low fat/fat free yogurt, low fat cottage cheese"

I snack on veggies, almonds...stuff like that. Don't make it hard on yourself, make a good guacamole dip for your veggies. Always make sure your not suffering through the change because you won't stay with it if thats the case.

16. Kebas

Kebas Well-Known Member

Today....

Breakfast..Kellogs Corn Flakes 1 bowl.

Lunch...2 sandwiches (wheat bread, low sodium Turkey breast, low fat dressing, no cheese). Apple and a banana.

Supper...1 large chicken leg (I removed the skin), 2 stems broccolli, VERY little stuffing (literally a spoonful just go get a taste). Another apple.

3X servings of whey over the day(I think 20g protein per serving, one serving filled about 1/3 a large glass).

Tonight I will probably have a tuna fish sandwich or something else I find.

I know it's still not enough food, I'm working on that...But in the direction of the TYPE of food I am eating, is this going in a better direction?

PS. DAMN that whey is expensive. 10$ and it only lasts 12 servings?!?! I already used 3!