1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Not seeing results?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by CamShaft, Feb 26, 2010.

1. CamShaft

CamShaft Active Member

Hi Everyone.

I've been trying to cut down since Jan 1st and not making much progress. Any help on which direction to go?

Heres my info:

5'9
    189.5 pounds
    15% BF

Workout Plan:

M - Cardio LISS - 45 Mins (stairstepper)

T - Lifting:
    Pull Ups 3xfailure
    BB row 3x8
    Lat Pull down 3x8
    Squat 5x5
    Leg extensions 3x10
    BB curls
    Down the Rack DB curls (start at 30.. go to 10 to failure) 2 times
    Abs (various exercies)

W- Cardio LISS - 45 Mins (stairstepper)

Thursday - Lifting:
    Chin Ups 3 x failure
    Bench press 5x5
    Incline press 5x5
    Cable Crossover 3x10
    Dips 3 x failure
    Shoulder Press 3x8
    Tricep Pulldown
    Overhead Tricep Pull
    Abs

Friday - LISS - 45 mins - Elliptical

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - HIT - 45 Mins - Elliptical

Food:

Typical Day:

Meal 1:
    1 Whole Egg
    4 Egg Whites
    1/4 cup Salsa
    1 Slice Pumpernickel Bread

Meal 2
    Protein Shake
    25 Almonds

Meal 3
    150g Chicken
    1 Cup Broccoli

Meal 4
    Cottage Cheese - 1 cup
    2 tbsp Peanut Butter

Meal 5 PWO: 1 cup milk - 1 scoop protein

Meal 6:
    Steak, Prok Chop, fish etc.. Broccoli and little rice, noodles or couscous.

Meal 7:
    1 cup milk
    1 cup oats, or cherries,

or

1 cup cottage cheese
    1 tbsp peanut butter

In all, my daily calories are around 2100 with macros around 225P, 70F, and about 125 carbs

So I have been doing this plan now since new years and have lost about 6 pounds but now I feel stagnate not only in my weight loss but also measurements have not moved.

Am I doing TO MUCH exercise? need to eat more? eat less?

I'm throwing my arms up in the air on this one...

I'm trying to cut down to 180 by April 1st and hopefully can tip the scale in the right direction soon.

2. needachange

needachange Active Member

I don't think at your height/weight you are 15% bf.

I'm 5'11 184 lbs and am probably around 18% - 20%

I don't think it's neccessary to eat 225g protein a day. That's my opinion. 1 - 1.5g of LBM is plenty.

Try reducing your cals a little for a couple weeks and see where you are. If you start losing 1lb a week you're on the right track.

3. CamShaft

CamShaft Active Member

I'm not sure how accurate the calipers are... or the body fat scale. One says 15 the other says 17 etc.. and it bounces all over place between the two.

Thanks for the advice.. I considering cutting back calories to around 1800 per day but I do not want to starve my lean mass I've worked hard to gain.

4. needachange

needachange Active Member

Well if you have a lot of lean mass it's possible for sure that you are 15%. Without pics it's hard to tell.

If you lose more than a lb a week just up your calories again until you balance it out. It gets a lot harder as you get leaner. Reducing cals by a couple hundred isn't gonna make your muscles fall off. Keep in mind also that you most likely won't hold onto ALL of your muscle when in a defecit. Keeping your protein intake up is going to help the most in preserving as much lean mass as possible.

5. CamShaft

CamShaft Active Member

Sounds good... On monday I'll reduce my intake a bit and see how it goes.

and btw.. thanks for taunting me with your avatar picture.. Ice cream is my favorite!!!

haha!

6. BJ

BJ Active Member

You can drop calories pretty low and not risk lean mass as long as you are continuing to weight lift. I've gone as low as 1200

7. boots

boots Well-Known Member

I completely disagree with this advice! Much more than 500 calories below maintenance and you are losing lean mass and slowing your metabolism, i.e., starvation mode. I've done a lot of reading on the topic and never have seen any professional recommend a 1000 calories per day deficit. I know I couldn't do it. I certainly wouldn't be able to lift with any intensity.

OP, I wouldn't recommend going lower than 1850 calories per day at your size and weight. I do suggest becoming a JSF supporter and logging your meals on Body Shop to see your total calories and macro breakdowns. You can also get a calculation of you maintenance and cutting needs in terms of total calories.

8. BJ

BJ Active Member

It's good to disagree... that's what keeps the forum interesting. However, don't say you can't do something if you've never tried it ;) You never know until you try

9. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of cardio and too many calories for your size/goals - just my opinion. I would be sure to take at least 2 days off of exercise and maybe a third, but would cut calories down to 1900 or so per day for a week or so to see what happens. There is a saying that abs are made in the kitchen, and I believe it to be true. If we look at the history of humankind, I don't think we were designed to slam the quantities of food that we do (in modern day America, on avg.). "Starvation mode" is probably realistic but not many of us would ever reach that level of malnutrition.

10. BJ

BJ Active Member

+1 - well put!

11. boots

boots Well-Known Member

There are a lot of things I know I can't do and wouldn't try. That's not the greatest logic, when you think it through.

For the OP, based upon size and actviity levels (from JSF BodyShop):

Maintenance: 2200 Calories
    Cutting fairly aggressively: 1700 Calories

I've worked with Swolecat and Mastover. I've read many books on the topic over the past six years. None of the trainers or authors go much beyond a 500 calorie a day deficit. Most advocate a deficit smaller than 500 calories. Even John Stone says that his first cut was not optimal, when he reduced calories to 1300 (if I remember correctly).

While 1200 calories a day may have worked for you, it's not healthy and potentially dangerous for someone the height and weight of the OP. Lasting body recomposition is a lifestyle change and not a crash diet.

We can agree to disagree, but I've seen you give this non-standard advice in a few threads and it makes me uncomfortable, as fat loss can be very confusing and intimidating to someone just starting out. Most of us will listen blindly at the beginning, when it comes to fat loss.

12. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I completely agree with boots. No male can be do any type of serious weight training on 1200 calories per day. It is no where near close to support retention in lean mass. There is simply no fuel to support both the training and any cardio one might be doing. It'll down regulate metabolism, burn muscle, increase cortisol response to training, and barely support your day to day activities. If you are lifting and doing cardio you will use lean mass as a fuel source because the body has no other recourse. 1200 calories per day is basically a diet for completely sedentary women.

I'm not trying to sound negative or criticize but after reading this, the obvious just struck a nerve with my ways of reasoning.

Carry on fellers... :)

13. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

IMHO...

Dude,

I'm several inches taller, and quite a few pounds heavier than you...also not quite as active (but that's on my list to improve :tu:). My point is you're consuming about the same amount of calories that I am in order to meet my minimum target of 2 pound loss/per week.

I would cut your calories by 200 and reduce your protein to 155-160g...for starters.

But hey, that's just me.:tucool:

14. BJ

BJ Active Member

I stand corrected and apologize... thanks for the correction as the last thing that I want to do is harm anyone else... I will not share that advice again

15. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Nothing to be sorry about. You disagree. There are many solutions to a problem. I suggest you maintain your present path and let the others go theirs, since I gave the advice. You are presently documenting your progress in your journal and showing details and photos. You are on a 8 week plan, about half way thru it. I don't think you body will swivel up and you will die. :tucool:

16. boots

boots Well-Known Member

No worries. We share the same goals and intentions!

17. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

You can drop 1000 calories below maintance if your heavier with lots to lose. It gets harder to go that higher the leaner you get

18. CamShaft

CamShaft Active Member

Thanks everyone for the advice! I enjoy this community because people can agree and disagree without being flamed! :mad: :tu:

I'll drop my calories down incrementally, one step at a time until I see a result and work it from there!

:bb: