1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Not... losing weight.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Unfit, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Unfit

Unfit Active Member

So I was obese and decided to finally get back in shape. 6 foot, 235 was my highest weight.

Anyways. About 9 months ago I started taking exercising seriously. I lost a bit but it was really slow and I stopped seeing weight progress for like several months. While I went from being able to jog for about 5 seconds to being able to jog a couple Ks my weight didn't really get hit much.
    This didn't get me much even though I was walking/jogging 5k probably every other day. I got down to about 220.

Anyways in January I started being more serious about my food intake (I had been eating healthier but still too much).
    So I'm counting calories, watching what I eat, eating healthy. My little calorie calculator says I can eat 2100 calories a day and still lose a pound a week. I make the aim for 1800 with the rule that I'm not allowed to be hungry. It goes well. I'm losing a bit over a pound a week. I'm exercising and walking/jogging about 14 miles a week, give or take a few miles mattering on how busy I am. Calculating my calories burned and my intake and I average around 1750ish a week. I have days in the red and days below my goals. I'm not too picky about that.

All is looking fine. But recently about a month ago it just stopped. I'm going about 14 miles still, at a higher pace now too. I'm eating the same healthy food. I'm sticking to 1800 goal. But after I got down to about 209 everything froze.

Supposedly I'm still at about 2100 calories to lose a pound a week. I'm obviously well under that (without ever being hungry, though cravings suck). I'm taking about 1750 calories a day in average. And my weight loss has completely stopped. I already walk like an hour on most days. I clearly eat less than 2100 calories (it's not an error or a miscalculation I'm careful).

So what the crap?

I don't know what I can do at this point. I'm eating my veggies. I'm burning like 360ish calories on most days. I'm not eating too much. I'm not going hungry.

2. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

I know that you posted this a while ago, but you might want to purchase a heart rate monitor and see what the numbers look like during your cardio workouts. You mention walking / jogging, and later you specify walking. You may want to consider HIIT or a similar workout that requires less time while pushing your heart rate. You may be stuck in a steady-state cardio rut.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't be "losing weight" at 1700 calories a day, but you say "about 1750." Are you guessing, and are you watching your macros?

3. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I envy your great progress. Nicely done!

You may have slowed down your metabolism to the point that you'd have to go even lower in calories to lose more weight. I've been watching some videos by a Layne Norton, a PhD nutrition scientist and coach who has diagnosed "metabolic damage" and has some ideas for how to reverse it. You might want to stop trying to lose weight now and focus on restoring your metabolism -- much better for the long term. Once your metabolism is back up then you could go back to slow weight loss, followed by a very slow return to steady weight maintenance.

4. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I'm listening to the video again. It may be that your running has crashed your metabolism! You could quit the low-intensity cardio (no matter how fast your running) and swap that out for high-intensity cardio, just as abuseguy suggested.

5. Barbell

Barbell Active Member
    Silver Member

great video, thanks for posting. layne's knowledge and intensity in the gym is always an insperation.