1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Not Enough Calories....

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by rage60, Mar 8, 2004.

1. rage60

rage60 Well-Known Member

Let me just start out with a little intro about myself, I started reading the boards referenced by fark in middle Jan. I am a male 24 years of age and have always been fairly active. I ran Cross Country and Track in both High School and College. Needless to say I was never considered overweight by the BMR charting, but I've never been cut either. I always found a way to eat enough to keep some meat on my bones, even though sometimes we ran 15+ miles a day and generally also did weights 3 times a week. This allowed me to get strong, but like I said I was never cut. So when I stumbled upon John's page and saw his impresive gains I decided I would give it a shot.
    I plugged in my values usuing the 40:40:20 methodolgy and bam got my info. Things went real well for around a month, I got weights started lifting doing my HITT, but after awhile I started getting super tired, and I couldn't concentrate quite as well as I had used to be able to. I finally broke down and spoke with my mother last night who happens to be an RD,LD and told her what I was doing as far as the 40:40:20 and my intake levels. She did some figuring for me and told me that my intake was unfortuantly way to low for cutting. I was taking in almost 600 cal's less than I was supposed to be. Apparently I had forgotten to add in my activity when figuruing total cal's among other things. Anyway she also stressed to me that the 40:40:20 was too high in protine. Even with the activity weight lifting etc. she recommeneded a 50 carb 20prot 30fat Well obviously I wasn't going to do that, so I ended up doing a bit of a comprimise with her at 52carb 28prot and 20 fat. :spaz:
    So now I've got this new cutting thing going and I deffinitly had much more energy, I could concentrate better, and I should still be losing a pound a week. Before I was losing ~2.5 pounds per week. I'll give it a few weeks to kick in, the weight loss, but I definitly feel better about myself and life in general. When I walk around the supermarket with my healthy food items and I see all the uninformed people snatching up all kinds of 'crap' I feel sorry for them, but what can you do? Anyway thanks for letting me rant and I hope if anyone else is feeling like I was they consider refiguring there calorie intake. I know for me just in one day its made a world of difference. I'll have my body the rest of my life, I might as well be as good as I can to it with the right foods in the right proportions.
    Peace,

:tu:

2. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Why raise your carb % and lower your fat %?

If you're really trying to lose fat, increasing carb will only slow down your progress, carb is the body's preferred source of fuel, so feeding it excess will only keep your body from burning the fat stores for energy.

Don't fall into the "low fat" camp and think if you decrease all of your fat, you'll lose fat, your body doesn't work that way, it's adaptive and knows what you're doing.

So by lowering your healthy fats intake, your body will compensate by storing the extra carbs as fat, thus resulting in a vicious circle.

I half agree with your mother's assessment in that you need 30% of your daily from fat, however 50% carb is too high for fat loss and cutting even if those carbs are coming from good sources.

40/30/30 (P/C/F) is generally considered optimal for fat loss and lean muscle retention, however as we all know, everyone is different, so you may or may not have to tweak those ratios for your optimal performance, however it's been well proven that low fat/high carb diets do not work for people trying to retain muscle and lose fat.

3. rage60

rage60 Well-Known Member

I did a little more research and decided I would take the average of the three, because hey you can't beat averages:
    carb prot fat
    30 40 30 Yours
    50 20 30 Moms
    40 40 20 John's

40 34 26 = My New Ratio's

:whistle:

4. d_samuylin

d_samuylin Well-Known Member

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

d_samuylin, where exactly in Brooklyn are you, just curious because I live in Whitestone.

6. fitfreak12

fitfreak12 Well-Known Member

high carb is good!

i feel that same way dude, i dont think im getting enough calories, last night, i couldnt finsih my workout cuz i was too tired and weak.. for the past 2 days( i know, not long) ive been eating 1700cals a day, and im about 150... i think my metabolism is too fast to eat so little, even the days i didnt work out at 1700cals, i felt weak, tired, and hungry... so i think im going to bump up my cals to 2000... my boyfriend is eating 2700-3300 cals a day cuz he is trying to gain muscle mass, so since im trying to tone up some,and muscle needs a lot of cals. for energy, im going to bump up my cals... also, carbs do not cause fat to be stored... true, like anytihng, too much will cause fat gain, but if u workout, ur body needs the carbs to help the protein repair muscle so that the muscle isnt eaten by your body..If that makes any since hehe=)but im trying to say, eat complex carbs and cut simple carbs, ull be fine!ive only been eating like 157carbs a day, and i feel weak, tired and i just dont have energy to do anything... so i think ill follow what my boyfriend is doing(not as much cals though hehe) sorry this was soooo long! if anybody can help me, please share! :cool:

7. d_samuylin

Midwood Chris. Nice to here from someone in my area.

8. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Well-Known Member

If you know anything about the Atkins induction phase this is a VERY common side effect of removing carbs from your diet but should stabilize once you get through induction and slowly increase your carb intake, still to a very low level.

It's funny how bodies react differently to changes in diet.
    I find that if I drastically limit my carb intake when trying to lose
    weight I find that I have more energy than I need to get my daily workouts done and whatnot. At times I find I have too much energy, such as last night, and feel like going out for a run to get rid of it at quarter to midnight. I'm not bragging or anything, this could just be a case of bodies reacting differently to change.

9. d_samuylin

People are different also. If I limit carbs dramatically, I feel very weak. I usually eat more carbs when I do HIIT (about 180g a day) and less carbs during regular cardio and weight lifting days (about 150g a day).

10. rage60

rage60 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I had already looked at that thread. It is very informative, however I still like the way I've got it figured now. :o
    I'm going to give it a few weeks and see what happens. After all this is for life, not for a few months like a fad or something. :p

11. Primetime

Primetime Well-Known Member

I'm going to be doing 40/40/20 at 1800 cal. that leaves me with 40g of fat needed and 180g each of protien and carbs. I'm a 26 year old male that is 6'1 and 200lbs looking to loose fat. This would make my BMR 2065. If I do MIIT and Max-OT on the same day, I will most likely burn about 500cal, leaving me with a deficit of -765 cal to my body at the end of the day. If I don't do MIIT and Max-OT on the same day, or do just a cardio for 40 min that day, or just Max-OT,the cal deficit to my body will be higher or lower depending on what was done. It's all about experimenting because everyone's body is different. I may find that 1800 cal is too little and have to bump up to 2000 cal. Also, the 40/40/20 ratio might not have enough carbs and I too may feel tired the first 2 weeks, and have to adjust it. The only solution that I can come up with is taking initial measurements of your waist, hips, forearms, wrist, arms, thigh, caf and chest. Then you will have to compare them every week and see what progress is being made. Also it is important to do the exersizes correctly or else one may think that the lack of higher gains is due to their diet, when it is due to their workout routine. Other issues like sleep, time of the day that the last carbs are taken in, time of eating whether its before or after a workout, ect all play a role. I'm looking forward to seeing my 1 week results. I'll wait untill 2-3 weeks into the program before making adjustments. This is going to be fun!

12. d_samuylin

You mentioned that your BMR is 2065. But you forgot to factor in the activity level. I think for a person of 200 lbs 1800 cals is too little. YOur body will most likely go into starvation mode and you will lose muscle more then fat. I would aim for 2000 cals at a minimum or even 2100. That is my personal opinion. Your maintenance calories value is around 2600 - 2800 cals a day. Depriving yourself of more then 1000 cals a day is not healthy and will put your body into starvation mode. And you don't want this to happen.

13. honu*girl

honu*girl Well-Known Member

Link to BMR Calculator

Don't know if anyone has posted this guy's site before - but I found it highly beneficial. It has a guided script to enter data in and a pop-up box giving your BMR info. According to him - if you always have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight (might be muscle, but it will result in lbs lost) He doesn't believe in the "Too Few Calories" theory.

The rest of the site is also very intersting - he follows Body For Life theories, but he is also a research scientist and backs up his findings (for the most part.)

Link to the main site:

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/

14. Primetime

Primetime Well-Known Member

Where did you get the maintenance calories value? You are correct in saying that 1800 cal is too little. I just researched this. And yes, I should be around 2000 cal if not more because if I were to include the activity ratio of 1.2 into the BMR equation, my net BMR would be around 2400. Note that they claim to use the 1.2 for daily activity such as walking around, or lifting a pencil. What I will do is start with 2000 calories a day and burn off 1000 a day through working out and excersize. If I find that I am loosing 2lbs per week, then I will go with the BMR value at my given weight. If I find that I am loosing 3lbs per week, then I will take in whatever calories that my BMR *1.2 equates to. Would this be a good route to take? I figure its better to start with higher calories and test than a lower amount.

15. soltrain

soltrain Well-Known Member

honu*girl - you are right on!

16. honu*girl

honu*girl Well-Known Member

why thanks - :o Not sure why, but appreciated nonetheless! I was expecting disaggreements (sure they are still out there!)

I still am wondering about the "Too Few Calories" but there is always "water weight" so that accounts for some weight gain when it seems that you are eating correctly.

17. U2rocks

U2rocks Well-Known Member

hey i'm also like u , i'm a female i weigh about 148 right now (i'm 5'9), just had my BMR tested and it was 1550. for a long time, i've been only eating around 1500 cals a day. meanwhile, i run 6 days a week. so i was eating waaay too low. i have decided to up it around 2000 and see if i start to lose fat again and get my energy back.

18. angel_b

angel_b Well-Known Member

That BMR tells me "Workout program rule of thumb: Target a ballpark of 1080-1480 honest calories per day".

Huh? I'm 5'7" and I weigh 158 pounds. I exercise 6 x per week - 3 x weight and 3 x cardio. At 1080 calories a day, I'd be fainting!

19. Bawl

Bawl Well-Known Member

In the message, it states that it does not account for your activity level. BMR is just the base caloric need. You will have to add calories burned through activity for your overall total.

20. angel_b

angel_b Well-Known Member

Yup, you're right. Sorry, was having a blonde moment.
    :D