1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Non-leg cardio?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by daveo, Feb 13, 2004.

1. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

Anybody aware of some type of cardio that doesn't involve your legs? All the kinds I can think of (stairs, running, bike) do. I had my first leg day on Wednesday and my calves are KILLING me: they almost completely cramped up on the bike yesterday.

I've been stretching like crazy, but that doesn't seem to matter. Should I just bike on through the discomfort, or look for a non-leg cardio to do until my legs decide to forgive me?

If this has happened to you in the past (or right now!), what are you doing about it?

2. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I exerience a similar thing after leg workouts where I want to do some cardio but cant because its been 3 days and my legs are still sore.

A great way to do cardio without using your legs is Boxing. It completley tires me out, my muscles burn and I puff like crazy. Just go nuts on the heavy bag and the speadball.

You could also jump on the ergonomic rowing machine. Your legs are involved but you can choose to use mainly your upper body to do the work. I've found the I can do HIIT on the rower too.

You could also go swimming and if your legs still hurt with kicking just dont use them and let your upper body do the work. I'm not used to swimming so I puff like I'm about to pass out.

Thats all I can think of for now, hope it helps.

Marcus :tucool:

3. dstaver

dstaver Well-Known Member

You could do that with a Total Gym. Just do a variety of the upper body excercises on one of the lower settings at a fast pace. You don't have to use your lower body at all.

4. laao

laao Well-Known Member

you can also use a row machine

5. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

No bags :(

I'll take a look at the rower :)

If my gym had a pool I wouldn't be so tubby! At one point I was swimming ~ 2hrs/day * 7 days a week. That was awesome :)
    They're looking at building one, but it won't be available until 2005! Ugh...

Rower, here I come!

Thanks for the advice!