1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NO Xplode

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mastover, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

At the Powerhouse gym here in the Bronx, NY... someone had a heart attack while training. Unfortunately, he was under the notion that "more is better". Although I wasn't there at the time, sources told me that he consumed 4 scoops of the powder. He is doing OK. The scary part is that he is only 27 years old, Now, to be honest, I do not know if he had any pre-existing conditions, or if he was on other exogenous "supplements", but here's why I do not advocate these type of supps. When I was powerlifting and getting prepared to win my first pro card as a natural bodybuilder, I used to stuff ammonia and Noze Tork capsules into both nostrils. This stuff made me absolutely crazy and would make my heart do a drum roll in my chest. I would lay on my couch afterwards and wait for my nausea and heartbeat to get back to normal. Yes, I admit, I went over the top be a champion. But i was lucky, trust me. Be careful and use caution with these type supplements. I am hoping this kid makes a full recovery. Twenty seven is just much too young...

2. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

I never understood people looking for shortcuts. I get the temptation to try supplements. They are designed by (allegedly) educated folks who use science to create what they feel will help people meet their fitness goals. I have bought into the hype myself a few short years ago. But why on earth would you trust someone to be smart enough to design something for your body, but completely disregard the recommended dose? If you've ever taken these, some of them have the effect you spoke of - heart racing, feeling unstoppable, nausea, etc... With the recommended dose. Those are danger signs. Why would you do more of what is causing those warning signs? Exceeding the dose of anything, let alone quadrupling it, is just dumb.

I hope this guy is ok and has a full recovery, but also that he has learned a lesson.

3. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Well, from what I understand, 4 scoops delivers about 400mg of caffeine (or 2 Nodoz). That is a hefty dose, but shouldn't cause problems for most people unless they have a low tolerance for caffeine or high blood pressure problems. If the guy already had high blood pressure, then the caffeine in combination with heavy exercise could have been a factor in his heart attack.

Generally, I agree with Mastover that it is good to avoid these supplements in general. If you use them enough, you'll get dependent on them and feel sluggish in the gym without them. That is the big reason I stopped using them. Also, when I'd down a bunch of that crap prior to a workout, I'd feel half-nauseous by the time I got to the gym.

4. Simonic

Simonic Active Member

Interesting.

The issue here isn't necessarily about the product N.O. Xplode, but merely about taking 4 scoops of the stuff. That was simply idiotic, and almost cost the 27 year old his life.

As per BSN's own site, and instructions for N.O. Xplode:
    This is akin to someone taking more than the recommended dose of any prescription drug given to them by a doctor. More does rarely equals better/quicker results.

Supplements have their place, but the user also has the responsibility to research the product before ingesting it -- like any/all medications.

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the Powers-That-Be take notice of this, and the supplement industry (already on shaky ground with them) will suffer as a whole. Imagine having fish oil and a multi-vitamin banned, unless you obtain a prescription? This also holds true for protein powders and creatine. We are a "more is better society". More sets, more workouts, more pizza, larger Happy Meals at Mickey D's. We are also a microwave society. We want everything done quickly and immediately, including results from training and dieting. I get many clients who outright quit after a few weeks because they are not experiencing almost impossible results.

I agree with you, Joe. One can become very dependent on these type products and in the long run only end up hurting themselves. From recent feedback from some guys, this 27 year old was actually taking NO Xplode every day, even on non training days for over a year. Bad deal right there...

6. Simonic

Simonic Active Member

I agree that the powers-that-be are turning their eye in the direction of supplements. I hate to think of the day where prescriptions are necessary for fish oil/multis. Though, a lot of multi-vitamin companies are merely in it for gaining the most profit off the cheap synthetic versions, and pawning it off on a generally ignorant customer.

Lack of immediate results is definitely an issue. People seem to think that they gained those 10,20,30,40, etc pounds over night, and expect it to fall off over night as well. As for muscle -- it's an experiment in human physiology. I equate muscle building to that of a healing cut/scrape. You create "damage" to the muscle, and it must heal. A healing cut/scrape must first scab over, and seems to take weeks until it is fully healed. Much like a muscle will take weeks until it has been healed, damaged, re-healed numerous times before "results" are finally shown.

7. nullpointer

nullpointer Member

The fact is a lot of supplements aren't "supplements", they're drugs.

Its much harder to sell a supplement as a "drug". Selling a drug as a "supplement" is a much easier process.

This is why Jack3d (contains an unscheduled stimulant) is sold as supplement when in fact it should be thought of as a drug.