1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

No sweets for a month

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Mitek, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

Everyone has something he finds hardest to give up upon while starting a transformation. Ever since I started my fitness program my biggest problem was the sweets. At the initial stage, when the neophyte's eagerness still worked, I found it possible to avoid the sweets for a week, but these days are long gone, and I find the cakes and the chocolates a major impeding factor on my way to success. So, what should I do? If you can't beat them - declare a challenge on them - and then beat them! I therefore declare a challenge on the sweet stuff! Everyone who is as addicted to sugar as I am is welcome to join. There will be no points or exceptions, this is an all or nothing challenge: one piece of chocolate - and you're out! No exceptions for coworker's birthdays, family occasions, mother in law being offended by your ignoring of her cooking skills - nothing!

I will be making up for the lack of sugars with fruit - I don't think I will have problems cutting down on fruit later on, so whoever joins me is welcome to do the same. I will be also drinking lots of water and eating lots of vegetables - it seems to work somewhat to curb that chocolate craving.

The duration of this challenge is one month - that is, it starts immediately, and ends on May 7th.

Who's with me?

2. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I'm so in! :spaz:

Sweets are my weakness, and for this cut, I've decided to forgo having any. Signing up for this challenge, plus having to post my meals in my journal, will be a great way to keep me motivated. :tu:

Thanks for starting this up, Mitek! :)

3. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

You're most welcome, bballer143! :)

4. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

There's no way I could survive this challenge, but I wish y'all luck. :tu:

5. user786

user786 Active Member

Im in...im also a sugar addict (1 biscuit leads to a packet of biscuits ...1 bar of choclate leads to 6 bars of choclate:o)..and it has been impeding my progress over the last few months...as i tend to binge on the suagr.

ill update every few days with a pass or fail for each day.

6. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

Day 3, hanging in there. How are you guys doing?

7. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

Ill join this too. My main sugary intake was not candy, but soda/energy drinks. Would love to go without one of them as it has seemed to slow my progress way down.

8. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

The wife of a friend of mine lost 15 lbs in a semester by giving up regular soda. She got back into the habit, but was able to kick it again by simply decreasing the number of cans she drank per day, then per week, until it was nil. If you're having trouble going cold fish, I'd suggest that approach. :gl:

9. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

My main problem is my cheat meals. I go out and order a meal that comes with a drink so I just give in and get a soda. If I drink my tea I'm usually fine. This week I am making whole wheat crust pizzas for the wife and I for the cheat meal. No soda in sight!!

10. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

Hello to all,

You know what, I'm in.
    Though I'm notoriously bad at keeping any of the food-related challenges.
    So much good stuff.
    Chocolate should not be that difficult. Right? Is only pieces of nirvana that fills your mouth with exquisite taste.

Cheers and best of luck to all.

11. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

Please, don't! It's hard enough as it is - without such verbal and visual (see your avatar) reminders of what we're trying to give up upon :).

(and from experience, giving up on the sweets entirely is much easier than trying to limit its consumption).

12. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

I just ask for mineral water with a slice of lemon. After a while, you just can't drink soda anymore: it's gross.

13. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

good luck to ya, but you might want to change your Avatar....

[​IMG]

:lol:

14. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

No problem. Hope you like the new one better.
    I always strive to please.

15. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

It was a joke...

16. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member

Monday-Pass
    Tuesday-Pass
    Wednesday-Pass
    Thursday-Pass
    Friday- Pass (it's still morning here, but I am not having any sweets today :nono:)

I'll edit in this post what the weekend results were on Sunday. :)

Hope everyone is still going strong! :tu:

17. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

I do - so far! :whistle:

18. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

Still going. ;)
    Did my shopping today. No cheat foods. However I still have some frozen pizza in the fridge.... Hmm

19. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

OK, I have a confession to make. I've cheated yesterday :cry:. It was just a single Passover cookie (one made of peanuts), not much calories in it or something, still, I'm the one who said 'no exceptions'. So, technically, I'm off the race, but I will go on as if it never happened - if in the end of the month it will have been the only sweet thing I've eaten - it's an unprecedented achievement for me.

20. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

AHA!!! I've knew it.

That's OK, we forgive you.

I always thought that totally interdicting something will raise the attractiveness of that thing to previously unheard-of values. So, instead of "absolutely no sweets", maybe we should count the cheat sweets and brag on the low number we get at the end of the month.

Cheers