1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

No Particular Place to Go

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Nowhereman, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Hey my name is Eric and this is my second journal. I think I needed a new one now. My goal is to get big. Gain muscle and I'm not going to concern myself too much with counting.

I'm going to do what I'm doing now but just eat more. Also my lunches will probably change. Right now I cook two meals one for my wife and one for me. Mine is to hit my macros and hers is just another meal, that is healthy, but doesn't match my macros. Well it's a pain in the ass. I'm going to eat what I cook for her but just more of it. I will keep the rest of my meals the same but with more food. I'll eat whenever I have a chance. Also If my wife wants to go out and eat, then we will.

Don't misinterpret me. I'm not going to go on daily McDonald's binges. I still will cook most of my food but just eat more of it. If we're out and about then we'll eat someplace nice, still taking care not to overload on crappy food.

I'm going to start off with Waterbury's ABBH program. So I'm going to start on Monday.

I'm not sure about the cardio. I don't know if I should do 45 minutes of Liss or go do this prescribed by Thibaudeau
    1a-- Jog-- 30 seconds
    1b-- Sprint 20 seconds
    2a-- Jog-- 60 seconds
    2b-- Sprint 30 seconds
    3a-- Jog --90 seconds
    3b-- Sprint 40 seconds
    4a-- Jog --120 seconds
    4b-- Sprint 50 seconds
    5a-- Jog --150 seconds
    5c-- Sprint 60 seconds
    6a-- Jog --180 seconds
    6b-- Sprint -70 seconds
    Total 15 minutes

I'll do it on days off. Heck I might just alternate or do whichever one feels right that morning. But I do like the fact that I can read while doing LISS.

I'll also do pull ups and pistols or other bodyweight type exercise on days off.

Anyway that is my project. I won't be taking body fat measurements, but I will measure my body using the Myotape. I'll also take monthly pics. Here are my starting stats for this December.

December
    WEIGHT: 162
    ARMS: 13.5
    CALVES: 14
    CHEST: 37.5
    FOREARMS: 11.25
    HIPS: 36
    THIGHS: 22
    WAIST: 32.25

2. Nowhereman

I started Waterbury's ABBH

ABBH
    Day 1
    80% of 1RM

BB Bench Press- 10x3 125lbs
    BB Bentover Row 10x3 125lbs

It's supposed to be 80 percent of my 1 rep max but I kind of estimated. I haven't done the BB bench in a while but last time I checked, in October, it was about 120. So I went up to 125lbs.

I had done rows but they were with a wide grip. I estimated my 80 percent at 120, with the wide grip, and added 5lbs.

Not sure how the workout is supposed to feel. Right after the ABBH I will redo my RM to find input into the workout.

This week I'm doing the front squats, I've never done them before. I'm going to get my 60% of 1RM from my regular squat and do those.
    Does anyone have any comments on that.

3. Nowhereman

ABBH
    Day3
    60% of 1RM

Squats- 5x10 185lbs
    Cable Crunch- 5x10
    Standing Calf raises- 5x10 200lbs

I checked the T-Nation website and it said that the second workout was thighs, abs, and calves. I decided to keep do the regular squat instead of the front one. I'm curious about the workout as it seems a bit easy.

4. Nowhereman

ABBH
    Day 5 60% of 1RM

Dips 5x10 with 30lbs of assistance
    Chinups with ???? of assistance

I got my maxes the other day for the dips and chip ups. I'm not sure if the 60% works for those exercises or if the dips directly tire my arms out and it affects the chin ups.

I started off alright and did the dips, just barely. I was supposed to do the Chinups with 40lbs of assistance, just 10 more lbs. But it felt way to heavy. I barely squeezed out 10 reps. I then had to keep adding assistance and I could not even manage to do 10. Not sure how to go about this. Any advice would be helpful.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

What's your maximum for both?

6. goonie

goonie Active Member

A workout with 5x10 squats should not be easy. How many reps could you have completed on the last set?

Not a big deal, because you want to build up speed into a new program, and not overestimate the resistance to the point where you're coming up short on the prescribed rep range your first time out.

Set a benchmark, aim for a little more next time.

7. Nowhereman

I weigh 162 and I can do the chin ups 7x and I can do dips 10x at this weight. I input it into the 1RM calculator, I think you reccomended it a while back, and it had me at 120lbs and 130lbs for the exercises. The dips were pretty tough and the chin ups were VERY tough, like I said I had to keep adding assistance

Well it is supposed to be 60% of my 1RM and that is about 185lbs. I have done 5 sets of 20 reps with weight at a little lower than this a couple of months back. Maybe that is why this was a bit easier. I had a good sweat going and the last set was pretty decent. It was the first sets that were easy.

I'm supposed to add 5% to my squat day exercises and dips/chin ups day. But I'm not sure if 5% is too little for squats and I have no idea what the heck to do with the dips/chin ups day.

Also, I wanted to go into the gym today to get my 1RM max for my bench but I'm actually pretty sore from yesterday's workout and I'm not sure if this will affect the outcome. I wanted to see if what I did on Monday was actually 80% of 1RM. I supposed to do 1 more rep per set this Tuesday, for a total of 10 more reps. Maybe this will be tougher.

Thanks for the replies.

Today was actually this first day this week that I did cardio. I had finals this week and decided that after long nights studying, sleep was more important. I did eat like a pig this week too.

I have also been on the roof putting up Christmas lights. First time doing it, I'm a bit of a Grinch. It wasn't too bad but I badly underestimated the length of the extension cords. I now have to go to Target to see if they will exchange three chords without a reciept for 3 extension cords 3x the size. I suck at estimation...as you can tell by my workouts.:madpimp:

8. Nowhereman

Day 7
    ABBH 80% of 1RM

Deadlifts-----------10x3- 250
    Seated Calf Raises- 10x3- 125
    Ab Wheel-----------10x3- BW

The intensity for the Deadlifts was more than when I did the bench. I tested my 1RM for the bench before working out and the wide grip bench is 155, what I thought was my regular bench 1RM. So on Tuesday I'm going to keep the weight the same but switch the grip.
    The calf raises also felt a little easy. I'll have to see what to do for next week. Well I'm off to see the Raider game. Go Raiders!

9. goonie

goonie Active Member

Don't lose sight of what you're really after with all the percentage of 1RM recommendations. They are after all just general guidelines that are necessary when publishing a program for the masses.

Set a benchmark with the target set X rep parameters, and aim to exceed this the next time you complete the session. If the program says 80% of your 1RM, but you need to use 75% or whatever to get through it the first time, use the lower load. If you know you've completed sets within the same volume range with a heavier load before, feel free to bump it up a little, but don't max yourself out early on to the point where progress in subsequent weeks becomes unlikely. It's got to be about shooting for a little more the next time out, with good reason to believe you'll get there.

When in doubt, go low, complete the total volume, and adjust accordingly for the next time out. There's no great harm done here. The worst that happens is it takes you an extra week or so running the program before you hit your peak and need to switch things around a bit.

The last thing you want is to be bouncing all over the place a few weeks in, and make assessing your progression more difficult than it should be.

10. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Are you following a program? I was haphazardly lifting for months before getting on an actual program (starting strength), and I'm seeing rapid gains. And to tell you the truth, I have no idea what my 1RM's are.

11. Nowhereman

Yeah. I'm doing the Aniti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy program. Last week I did 3 reps at 80 percent of my 1RM on deads and bench and this week it will be 4 reps. I KNOW that soreness is not a good indicator of a good workout but after yesterday, my calves, abs, and back are way beyond sore. I had never done the Ab wheel before and lifting semi heavy a bunch of time really kicked my butt today. I can' laugh or walk right.

12. Nowhereman

ABBH
    Day 1
    80% of 1RM

BB Bench Press- 10x4 130bs
    BB Bentover Row 10x4 130lbs

I started off with a wide grip at 125 for my bench. Then I decided to switch to regular grip and added 10lbs. Too much. I dropped 5lbs and finished off the last five sets with 130lbs. I'm pretty sure that is the weight to work at. I also did my rows at this weight and it felt a lot better.

Overall better workout than last week.

13. Nowhereman

Did some Liss cardio for 45 minute today. I finally finished my book, And Then There Were None. I read it about 13 years ago and I felt like reading it again. I'm wondering if that is where they got their inspiration for the Saw movies. Anyway my cardio session flew right by.

14. Nowhereman

ABBH
    Day 11 65% of 1RM

Squats- 5x10 200lbs
    Cable Crunch- 5x10
    Standing Calf raises- 5x10 220lbs

Squats felt a lot better today. I had a good sweat going. The cable crunches still felt a little light even the calf raises felt light. I'll probablly go up more than I'm supposed to the next time.

I'm still a little lost as to how to proceed with my next dip chin ups day, which is on Saturday. I'll really give it some thought and see how I did last week. The reps for my dips felt a little heavy last week, even though I squeezed them out, I'll add some weight there. I got no clue as to how to go about my chin ups though.

15. Nowhereman

Got up and did some cardio this morning. Got a lot of reading done. I totally enjoy doing LISS in the morning perfect way for me to start off my day.

Right now I'm off to get my wife's present. Not sure what to get her. I'm scanning through Amazon's gift guides for ideas. Going to head out to the mall after dinner.

Tomorrow I have my dips and chin ups workout still wondering about the chin ups.

16. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Can't go wrong with chocolate ;)

Why wonder about the chinups? I love em...

17. Nowhereman

I'm going to go with that for the stocking stuffers.

As far as the chinups, I grossly underestimated what I could do last week and I'm trying to figure a good resistance for them.

18. goonie

goonie Active Member

If you're going to miss, be conservative so you hit your rep range, and know what kind of progression to aim for next time. If you undercut the resistance by a bit, just throw in a few extra reps at the end and you won't feel like you cheated yourself any.

19. Nowhereman

:tu: Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm freaking starving. I got to read up on eating late at night I've been getting really hungry on non-workout nights.

20. Nowhereman

ABBH
    Day 13 60% of 1RM

Dips 5x10 with 50lbs of assistance
    Chinups with 90lbs of assistance

I went to a different gym and the dip/chin up machine looked different. The smallest increment of assistance it had was 50lbs. Added some weight to the area where you rest your knees but it pushed the pad all the way down. So even though it said 50lbs I don't think it was that. Anyway there is my workout.