1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

No more excuses. A MANIFESTO.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ZaphodHatesRunning, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ZaphodHatesRunning

Hi. I’m 42 years old. I’m 6’0 tall and weigh 260 lbs. This is my fault. There are no more excuses. I know what I’m doing wrong. I know what’s right and I just don’t do it. I’m a lazy, undisciplined, instant gratification seeking fatso. I wallow in embarrassment at pictures off myself while eating a bag of Cheetos and drinking gin and tonics until 2:00am vowing that this will be the last time. The last day I’ll eat and drink 5000+ calories and get 4 hours of sleep and zero minutes of exercise. But then tomorrow comes and I make excuses. I’m tired so I’ll have the grande caramel frappucino. I’m in a hurry so I’ll grab a cheeseburger. I’m exhausted from work so I can’t go to the gym. I’m stressed and had a hard day so I need to have a drink or four.

NO MORE EXCUSES.

I’m starting my new life right now. I tried before. I copied John’s meal logs and exercise logs and tried to live his life. When I didn’t get the same results he did I felt defeated. I gave up. Not this time. This time I have my own plan. This time I have my own goals.

THIS WILL BE MY PLAN. I WILL OWN IT AND IT WILL CHANGE MY LIFE. I WILL NOT USE THE SUCCESS OF OTHERS TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL LIKE A FAILURE. I WILL ACHIEVE MY OWN GOALS.

I overindulge in alcohol, usually late at night, and follow that up with eating unhealthy foods. That has to stop. I need to get rid of the empty calories. I need to stop eating all the bad food on top of those empty calories. I need to get my sleep.

I WILL NOT OVERINDULGE. I WILL NOT BINGE EAT. I WILL GET A FULL NIGHTS SLEEP.

I often let work dictate my habits. When or what I can eat, when I can exercise. No more.

I WILL NOT USE WORK AS AN EXCUSE TO SKIP WORKOUTS OR MEALS. WORK WILL NOT DETER ME FROM ACHIEVING MY GOALS.

I absolutely hate going to the gym. I don’t like using the cardio machines or lifting weights. It’s a real mental struggle for me to get there let alone push myself through a grueling workout. No more. I’m going to learn to love it.

I WILL STICK TO MY EXERCISE PLAN RELIGIOUSLY AND JEALOUSLY GUARD AGAINST ANYTHING INTERFERING WITH IT.

I’ve built a 4 week plan. I will use these 4 weeks to change my bad habits, reinforce new behaviors, and learn to live this way naturally. I’m bound to have struggles. I understand this. Sometimes shit happens. Life isn’t perfect. But I will not give up when I miss a meal or have to make up a workout. Mistakes are no excuse anymore. They are something to learn from.

I WILL NOT ALLOW MISTAKES TO DEFEAT ME OR PREVENT ME FROM ACHIEVING MY GOALS.

I will be using this post to journal my progress. The only way this post will help is if I’m open and honest about my successes and my mistakes. In my past journal on this site I tried to make myself feel better by lying to myself and others. Not this time.

I WILL HOLD MYSELF PUBLICLY AND HONESTLY ACCOUNTABLE FOR ACHIEVING MY GOALS.

Another way I’ve defeated myself in the past is expecting instant results. I would use the bathroom scale as my only measuring stick. If the pounds weren’t dropping fast enough I adopted a defeatist attitude. ”What’s the point?” I would ask myself. “All that work, all the clean eating, and I’ve only lost 0.1 pounds? @$%* it! In-and-Out, here I come!” Not this time. I’m going to be changing my life, not trying to achieve a short term unsustainable weight target.

I WILL BE PATIENT AND NOT GIVE UP IF MY PLAN ISN’T WORKING. I WILL ADJUST MY PLAN. I WILL WIN THIS TIME.

I’m excited. I’m committed to this change. I’m doing this because I want to do it. I want to be healthy. I want to live a full life and be there for my family for many years to come. The real me has been hiding behind depression and an 8” layer of fat. It’s time for me to stop hiding. I’m coming from a negative place to a positive one. Keep a spot open for me.

THIS IS MY MANIFESTO. NO MORE EXCUSES.

-Paul

P.S. For those who were crit'd for 9999 damage by Zaphod’s Wall of Text, I apologize. Just needed to get that out of the way. And for the TL;DR folks, I understand. I probably wouldn’t read it all either if I hadn’t written it. :tucool:

2. ZaphodHatesRunning

Log 8/18/13

Technically I started yesterday so I'm reserving this post for my stats and log. Left the numbers at home, lol. More to come!

EDIT: Ok. So I started yesterday but not in the morning. I slept in one more time (yay!). My goal is ~2500 calories per day in 5-6 meals with a 40/40/20 split. I'm doing the simple beginner routine by Allpro on bodybuilding.com (current thread here) Sun-Tue-Thu and The Ultimate 8-Week HIIT-For-Fat-Burning Program Mon-Wed-Fri with Saturdays off except maybe some golf.

I'm abstaining from alcohol for these 4 weeks which should be fun (I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...). I'm also not having any cheat meals. As part of my job I sometimes have to go to lunch with people so I'll have to make due with the best choices I can. Most restaurants around here have decent "healthy" choices but if I know I'm going somewhere with no reasonable choices then I'll beg off if possible or just eat ahead of time.

I didn't set any real targets yet. I do think I can at least get under 250 lbs by the end of four weeks but it was hard to estimate body fat gains which were realistically achievable. I estimate my body fat at 35.1% using the Army method. My belly is too big to pinch right now so I'm going to use the Army method until I get to around 25% or I think the calipers are manageable.

My long term goal is 180 lbs and < 10% bodyfat. I think that's achievable in a year but I'm really not entirely sure how fast one loses body fat. I know it will go quickly in the beginning and get harder as I get closer. Right now I want to drop 25 lbs before my next checkup with my dr. in 10 weeks. That's 2.5 lbs per week.

I plan to take measurements and pictures every Sunday and ONLY on Sundays. I have high blood pressure which I'm on medication for and I'll be tracking that as well. I'm hoping to see significant gains there with a cleaner diet and exercise.

I felt really good when I went to bed yesterday. Alcohol is a big temptation for me but eating more frequently and going to the gym in the afternoon then keeping busy in the evening really kept my mind off drinking. Tonight will probably be a little bit harder since it's sort of a routine on work days but I'm confident I can handle it. It was nice knowing that I ate clean all day, went to the gym as planned, and then didn't have any alcohol all day. Even got to bed on time which for me is pretty impressive. Day 1 in the books!

#2 ZaphodHatesRunning, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Very well written!

My one piece of advice is this: don't force yourself to do stuff you really dislike (such as cardio or lifting weights). Find some healthy activity that you do enjoy and do that instead, such as playing some kind of sport, swimming, etc.

Your diet is going to be responsible for the vast majority of your results, anyway. There is no point in killing yourself on a treadmill if you really, truly hate running (like me!). If you're not a fan of spending 30+ minutes with dumbbells and barbells at the gym, then do a quick 10 - 15 minute body weight routine at home every morning.

4. ZaphodHatesRunning

Thanks! I totally get what you mean about doing stuff you don't like at the gym. It's not sustainable long term and that's been my problem in the past. For cardio I used to try and do the 45-60 minute LISS elliptical or treadmill or bike thing at the gym. Talk about BORING. I'd be almost in tears by the time I was done. So damn boring. Now that I do HIIT it's much better. It's still BORING but it's also SHORT! Put on some kick ass music and push myself for 15 or 20 minutes 3 times a week? I can do that. :D

For weight training I tried body weight exercises in the past but found them boring as well. The routine I'm using now is fast paced and truthfully, the last couple of times I lifted weights I got pretty pumped up and felt really good. I think I might actually be starting to really enjoy it!

5. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

nice! I love scotch and hate running too, am 2 years behind you age wise, and really think manifesto's are cool!

that said, JS is a machine. Not sure many on the planet can do discipline like he does discipline. better than yesterday and close to good is my motto. lifestyle changes take time to set given all the things you have to give up.

will follow along and good luck to you!

P

ps, saving on caps to help balance our your post ;-)

6. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Good job man, your starting stats are basically what mine were (6' and around 255) and I had a lot of the same problems you did. Drank too much. Used work and other shit as an excuse. If I didn't have a good week on the scale after what I thought was a good week of diet and exercise I'd say fuck it In n Out time too.

But much like you now I'm dedicated. Now I'm angry. Now I'm pissed off, and god have mercy on your soul if you get in my way, because I won't. We're going to do this. The race to 199.x is on :tucool:

7. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

High intensity, different every day, load music, lots of weights is basically what crossfit is all about. It's not perfect nor for everyone, but I really like it and am making good progress. My journal basically captures the detail if you are looking for something that might keep your interest. I guarantee boredom will be the last thing on your mind ;-)

P

8. ZaphodHatesRunning

Exactly. I had to get mad at myself without hating myself. Time to sack up meat bag!

Day 2 went ok. Biggest issue was too much food. I never was a breakfast person, usually just a highly sweetened fast food coffee in the morning and then nothing until noon. Yesterday I was I supposed to have 2 cups of egg whites with some red potatoes. Ate about 1/3 before feeling like throwing up. Couldn't eat any more. Then it seemed like I was eating every 5 minutes. Started the day off feeling really bloated and felt that way all day long. Went to do my HIIT session and hit a wall after 6 rounds. Just couldn't push myself. Embarrassed that I gave up. On the drive home I tried to convince myself to turn around and go back and finish but I think if I did I'd have puked.

Good thing is that I had no problem with the alcohol craving. I really think I drank so much mostly out of boredom. I'm keeping myself busy (preparing food mostly it seems) but I'm also working on my own food log which I'll link in my signature when it's ready. I did have a strong urge right when I got home from work but since I had to get ready to go to the gym it didn't last long and was pretty easy to resist.

Today I decided to dial back the quantity per meal. I don't want that bloated feeling when I lift weights later. Halved my breakfast this morning and although I still didn't finish I probably ate about 80% before getting nauseous. Tomorrow I'll cut back a little more and then once my body is a better engine and really needing the fuel I'll adjust it again.

One thing I'm happy with (even though it's so early) is that in my last attempt something like not being able to stick to my diet 100% (in this case not able to eat it all) and not being able to finish a work out would have been game killers for me, especially if it happened the first week or so. This time I'm adjusting, tweaking, being rational rather than emotional and pragmatic rather than perfectionistic. I feel so much more sane this time. It's really keeping me excited and motivated.

Oh, and thanks for all the positive feedback!

9. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Just keep in my mind that getting in shape and living a healthy lifestyle are extremely long-term goals. Bad diet days and poor workouts here and there won't matter in the long run of months, years, and decades.

10. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

This is where seasoning comes in.

Example...my breakfast:

184g egg whites (4 egg whites)
    2 whole eggs
    3 slices turkey bacon
    2 tbsp fresh pico de gallo

The eggs are scrambled.
    Then, I break up the bacon into little pices and add the pico and stir it all together....get a little bit of all the flavors in every bite.....

And then, throw in your potatoes.......:drool:

Man, that would be good. :nod:

If that doesn't float your boat....try a nice thick slice of cheddar cheese melted on top....

11. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

Cilantro is a game changer for me too.. when i get sick of eggs. Either you love it or you hate it though ;-)

P

12. Whoracle

6 rounds of HIIT is pretty good. Don't beat yourself up, HIIT is some intense shit and takes awhile to get used to. I'm only doing 4 rounds right now until I get back in the swing of things. HIIT will kick your ass in a short amount of time, that's basically the whole point.

13. ZaphodHatesRunning

Wow, so much great advice!

@digitalnebula: Yesterday I did all egg whites and added in chopped bell pepper, red onion, green onion and some Emeril Essence (I make my own variation though). Tasted great, it was just too much. Plus, I didn't really dig the only egg white flavor. Today I did 3/4 cup egg whites with 1 whole raw egg. Same ingredients but dropped the Essence for simple salt & pepper with some Tabasco. Tasted great but again, just too much. Tomorrow I'm thinking 1/4 cup egg whites with 1 whole egg might just get me there.

@petvan: I've never been a huge fan of cilantro, even in things that are supposed to have it, but after seeing so many people putting it in eggs I'm going to have to give it a try.

14. ZaphodHatesRunning

Thanks, I feel a little less like a wuss now. I had been doing this 34 minute bike program for a few weeks, twice a week, and it was intense but there were shorter rounds separated by longer recovery periods. It would be like 3 rounds of 15:45, then 2 minutes at a moderate pace, then 3 rounds of 20:60, then 4 minutes recovery, etc., at varying levels of intensity. It took me 3 sessions before I could do the whole thing but I was able to do it consistently after that. I figured I'd have no problem with this new routine because it was shorter overall so I was really surprised how fast it zapped me. I wasn't mentally prepared because I thought it would be "easy". Next time I think I'll be better prepared mentally so hopefully I'll be able to push through to the end.

15. ZaphodHatesRunning

Day 3. Woot! I didn't do my work out though. I changed gyms instead! I'm a member at Planet Fitness. When I first joined almost a year ago I liked the laid back, casual atmosphere. At the time I wasn't really trying to do things right. I was cutting back on calories and only doing cardio. I did that for about two or three weeks and quit then started going back again about 3 months ago. Still just cutting calories and doing cardio. Then I decided to get serious and was reminded as I researched that weight training is the second most important thing in burning fat. I had forgotten that. Well, Planet Fitness isn't exactly big on weight training. My gym only has 4 Smith machines. No squat or power racks, no free weight barbell. Dumbells and curling bars only go up to 60 lbs. When I did my cardio on Monday I noticed that all 4 Smith machines were in use and there was literally a line of like 3 or 4 guys at each machine rotating in. No thanks! Not only that, but there is only one location near me and I had to arrange my whole meal and workout schedule around that fact and it made my schedule very tight with no room for slip ups or delays. I decided I needed to make a change.

Now I'm enrolled at 24 Hour Fitness. They have a location very near my house and my work and a location right on the way between the two so I can actually workout at noon or on my way home or after I get home. Not only that but they have traditional free weights and plenty of them. Also, my wife goes there AND they have a childcare facility in the gym so in a pinch I can bring my daughter with me. It takes a huge amount of pressure off me knowing that I can flex my schedule much more easily now. Since my wife was a member already they waived the enrollment fee which made it a no brainer for me.

Food yesterday was much better overall. Never really had that bloated feeling I had on Monday. Today I cut my breakfast down to 1/2 cup egg whites with 1 whole egg and ~5 oz red potatoes. Perfect amount! I also noticed that I'm already losing at least a few parts of an inch on my waist because my pants are a bit looser. Really looking forward to updating my measurements on Sunday.

Today I have to interview a new employee and we'll be going out for lunch. I chose a restaurant that has some very good shrimp lettuce wraps which are under 500 calories. My wife and I actually like them so much I've made them at home a few times.

Have a great day!

16. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Good call on switching gyms; it sounds like there were zero positives about staying at Planet Fitness. I've never been to one, but from what I've heard they represent everything wrong with the average's Joe's idea about what it means to be healthy; i.e tons of cardio without lifting heavy.

17. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I spent a frustrating year in a planet fitness....oh so horrible...

I routinely got in trouble for "dropping" weights......and grunting....:rolleyes:

And lets not even get into their grotesque lack of essential equipment.....

18. Whoracle

Didn't know planet fitness was so bad and just for "cardio bunnies". Guess your eyes got a good workout at least there.

I've been going to 24 hour fitness the last few years. Decent enough, they will always have the basics. Downside is they get insanely crowded, and the ones I've been to have the octagon plates instead of the circles which makes deadlifting a bitch. But hey it's convenient and has what you need so I live with it.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good idea to switch gyms if your former one wasn't convenient and wasn't meeting your needs.

20. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Love the Manifesto Zaphod. Keep it up, bro. You are gonna burn through the lb's super fast with some big lifts like squats and deads. I didn't see your lift plan exactly, but I'm sure you've got something sweet lined up. The difference between being a booze hound and eating right and pounding the weights is night and day. Your body won't know what hit it and the pounds FLY off.

Another thing I can tell you from experience is to replace the booze with lifting. Instead of a cocktail after work hit the weights, then have a "healthy" cocktail. Hit up a nice protein shake, really takes the edge off. Also duplicate the enjoyment of making a cocktail by laying out a bar with some club soda, cranberrry juice, fresh limes, etc, and go to town with a cocktail shaker, ice, and chilled martini glass. Pretty fun and worth a few carbs. Really takes the edge off.

Cheers!