1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

No lunch? What do you do?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by CA$ON, Jul 12, 2011.

1. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Just a common problem I seem to hear from others and I run into from time to time.

What do you do when you are at work and you didn't bring a lunch? What are some creative ways or simple things you have done to keep a healthy diet going when you forgot or don't have lunch?

I'm actually in this issue as I type. No lunch today...what will I choose. :read:

Here is what I have close by within 1 mile or less:

Winndixie (Grocery store)
    KFC
    Checkers
    McDonalds
    Subway (closed right now)
    Chinese
    Thia
    Sushi
    Italian place
    Bar with burgers and such
    Gas stations

What would YOU do?

2. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Does Winndixie have a salad bar with grilled chicken? That would be my first choice. Of the others, you could do Subway or Sushi, just make sure to up your water intake for the sodium no matter which choice you make. McDonalds salads with grilled chicken are actually pretty good too.

3. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

I would for sure go to the grocery store. I would look for the rotisserie chickens that are hot (usually found near the deli). I would also grab some fresh fruit or veggies that I could eat raw. I love fresh cherries or would look for the pre-cut veggies in the bags, like broccoli or sugar snap peas.

4. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I've been dealing with this most of the last week. My elderly mother is in the hospital and of course the point I tend to go for lunch all the local places are closed for lunch.

I went to the largest open grocery store bought a panini (bread) and some cheese. I know the combination more or less hits my calorie and macro needs. Other day I went for procuitto instead of cheese. Other day I just went for pizza . Low in protein but I'll live.

5. BJ

BJ Active Member

go to the grocery and buy about 10 large tuna packets - the 6 oz ones (don't get the cans, spend a little extra $ for the convenience) and maybe a box of crackers. Now you have lunch any time that you forget/don't have time to pack one

6. LAGymRat

LAGymRat Active Member

Most restaurants can usually accommodate you if you just ask for a plain grilled chicken breast (no oil or salt) and steamed or grilled veggies. As long as you make sure they don't butter it up you've got yourself a good meal.

7. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Well-Known Member

Sashimi is always my first choice when I eat out. To eat enough protein, I'd consume far too much rice if eating nigiri or maki sushi. Usually, I go for a sashimi plate and a small maki roll of some sort. Sodium is through the roof on these days, even if you watch your soy sauce and use the low-sodium stuff.

8. jsalazar

jsalazar Active Member

depends largely on the plan you are on, right now i drink a big as protein/milk shake in the morning, fruit and bread some days,

then i work 10 straight hours.

then i have a big ass dinner composed of 1 pound of meat + veggies and sometimes other goods..

those two meals should cover me for 12 hours each and keep me at maintenance..

i have some small snacks when really hungry during the day and there's my caloric surplus.

9. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Has this worked for you in terms of adding mass?

10. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

If Winndixie is a regular supermarket, you should be able to put together something reasonably healthy with stuff from the produce aisle. Or maybe get a carton of milk and yogurt and a banana.

If it's more like a convenience store with a bunch of junk food, I personally just would skip lunch.

11. RyanTheOne11

RyanTheOne11 Member

When I know there might be a possibility that I won't have lunch that day I will always bring along a nice sized protein shake in a container that won't spill. It seems to get me through the day pretty nicely when I don't have food to go with it.