1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NO EXCUSES! - Docutech's Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by docutech, Dec 29, 2007.

1. docutech

docutech Active Member

DOMS form yesterdays leg day derailed me a bit this morning. I was hurting pretty bad and made an executive decision to move my cardio workout to later in the day.

I was in the gym at 5pm. The place was PACKED! I had to stand and wait for an elliptical to become available. What a crock!:doh: I am so glad I utilize this facility early in the morning. I hopped on the Elliptical and proceeded to burn some calories. Resistance of 10, 9-10mph speed and 40 minutes came to just 5 tenths shy of 6 miles! I rocked today. The transmitter for my Polar F11 often tends to display my heart rate on machines to my immediate left and right, so the patrons next to me were wondering why in the world their heart rate is hovering around 180 bpm :p I worked up a good sweat and I was out of there!

Here are todays numbers:

Gym time: 46 minutes
    MAX HR:182
    AVG HR:172
    Calories burned:789(15% fat)

I took pictures today :eek::spaz::jumping::bb::whistle::claphigh:

:nod: yep, it's like that yo!

Will post them tomorrow as I am off to bed!

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah I always enjoyed that one.

3. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I notice that you are posting the estimated %fat Calories burned from the F11. I think that is an estimate based on Calories burned during exercise. After workout (EPOC) Calories are largely from fat, so after the workout ends, it's like your body starts burning fat Calories to drive the process of getting your body back to "homeostasis". So if you consider the whole process of exercise and recovery, then you burn more Calories than are burned in the workout, and a bigger fraction of them comes from fat than in the workout.

Workouts like HIIT or lifting that get the heart rate up very high for intervals, tend to have the biggest EPOC. LISS has almost none.

So the Polar monitor is giving you useful information about your workout, but the less it looks like LISS the more EPOC Calories from fat you are burning that are not reported. It depends on how big and intense your workouts are whether this is a big deal.

Plus the better your cardiovascular fitness is, the more you burn from fat beyond what the Polar estimate says.

4. docutech

docutech Active Member

Oh yea, those are estimated numbers for sure. I am not too worried about them from a fitness stand point, unlike my calories and weight loss per say.

5. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I hate, no dispise, going to the gym after work...
    It's like a one-two punch to the gut for me...
    I'm usually a little lethargic by that time in the day anyway and the place is a zoo to boot....hate it...:nope:

6. docutech

docutech Active Member

This mornings workout concluded Mastovers proposed weight training routine. I have been at it for 8 weeks and I cannot stress how exciting it has been for me. I have been squatting, deadlifting, rowing, dipping, pull-up'ing and sweatin my ass of in the gym daily. My diet has been spot on for the past 8 weeks and only one cheat meal devoured on Valentines Day.

Here is a picture from 8 weeks ago (top right, bottom right):

[​IMG]

Here is a picture from yesterday (bottom left, bottom right):

[​IMG]

Quite a difference, don't you think?

Thanks Mastover! You are Da man!
    Beginning Saturday I will be weight training using a slightly modified Matrix System. I found it to have a good mix of exercises and I think I will benefit even further by using it. My goal is to put on some more muscle on my upper body in order to balance things out. Squats and deadlifts will be a permanent staple of my routine and you can be sure that I will be performing those on a weekly basis :nod:

Now, lets go over todays numbers:

Gym time:48 minutes
    MAX HR: 178
    AVG HR 137
    Calories burned: 550(40%fat)

7. docutech

docutech Active Member

Here are a couple of full body pics:

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    All I can say is, “Wow!” That is one great transformation and it's hard to believe that it only took eight weeks.

I know what you mean about the gym. I normally don't go as early as you, but I do chose times when I know that it's going to be relatively empty. I unfortunately had the misfortune to go last Saturday morning and it was a real zoo. I won't be doing that again any time soon if I can help it. :nope:

9. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thanks!

Yessir, it has only been 8 weeks. It is true that deadlifts and squats will get things going!

Thanks for stopping by!

10. docutech

docutech Active Member

Here is a copy of my workout log as well as my food log:

[​IMG]

Food log:

Attached Files:

11. docutech

docutech Active Member

Today was cardio. Although I walked in the gym not really "feeling it", I hopped on the elliptical and made it happen. 40 minutes at 8mph and resistance of 10.

Gym time: 45 minutes
    MAX HR: 172
    AVG HR: 158
    Calories burned: 668 (25% fat)

Have a great weekend evryone! :wave:

12. docutech

docutech Active Member

I took yesterday off in order to accomplish a couple of things.

1. Mentaly prepare for the upcoming 8 week of training by taking a short break.
    2. Go into the gym today and set up a baseline for my workouts.

Since I have been lifting for 8 weeks now, I was curious about my 1 rep max. People often asked me what my 1 rep max is and until today I had no clue.
    I prepared a good pre workout shake with oats, Nitrean, creatine and 2 tbs of heavy cream and about 30 minutes later I was off to the gym. The first thing I did is weigh: 169.4 :) Next, I grabbed the Ormoron handheld BF tester and it spit out a figure of 12.1%. This is 1 % lower from last month! :claphigh: I was very excited indeed. I jumped on the treadmil for a brisk 5 minute jog to warm up. I set up the squat rack and threw some plates on the bar.

At 225lbs I grossly underestimated the weight. I wasn't ready mentaly nor physicaly and as soon as I descended gravity got the best of me (thank god for safety stops). Next try was 205lbs. I knew for sure I could do this. I got psyched and by now I could see a dozen pair of eyes looking at me. I mounted the bar on my back, and squated with no problem. Being a stubborn SOB that I am, I reracked the weight back to 225lb and was determined to complete one rep. I descended slowly, thighs paralell, and pushed back up without a hitch. I recorded 225lbs.:bb:

Next was the deadlift. 225lbs was my starting point. I felt confident that I would be able to snatch it up with no problem. Sure enough, it went up smoothly. I added 20 more pounds to the bar and tried again. It took me about 5 seconds to get it all the way up, back straight and knees locked, but I did it. 245lbs was recorded.:tu:

Next were unassisted chin ups (palms facing). I dawned my golves and managed to knock out 7 good reps. I was very happy with that since I could only do about 3 about 8 weeks ago.

These amounts are not impressive by any means, however, I am happy with them and now I know what I have to do to get more weight moving.

So with that said, tomorrow is the first day of my endevor. My goal is to up my 1 rep max by 50 lbs in 8 weeks. Wish me luck!

Here are todays totals:

Gym time: 51 minutes
    MAX HR:176
    AVG HR: 138
    Calories burned: 600(45% fat)

Oh, I forgot to add that I jumped on the Elliptical for 15 minutes :p

13. Edster

Edster Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say congratulations on your progress! You've done fantastically. :tucool:

I've just read your entire journal in one sitting, and enjoyed it an awful lot -- you have quite an entertaining style of writing. Thanks, and keep it up! :nod:

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    To the contrary, they are impressive. Look how far you've come in two months, which should be your basis of comparison.

Good luck! :gl:

15. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thanks guys for the kind words of encouragement! :tu: After this mornings workout, looks like I will need lots of it :nod:

I woke up about 10 minutes earlier today in order to get my body moving a bit. Prepared my pre workout shake and got dressed. I tossed and turned all night playing out this mornings workout in my head as well as tried to bare the sudden heat wave Saint Louis experienced yesterday. We slept with the windows open and even though there was a breeze I felt incredibly stuffy. I didnt get as much rest as I wanted.

After a quick warmup on the treadmill I immediately called dibs on the squat rack. I had my gear scattered all around to let it be know that I was occupying the area :D I started with a weight of 1/2 my 1 rep max for my working set weight for all of the exercises. It wasn't too bad. I squeezed out 23 squats with the last 3 a bit shaky. My legs were trembling and I was breathing rather hard but all in all it felt good afterwards. 20 reps of straight arm pullovers followed. Boy I needed those. My HR was well over 180 after those squats and they gave me a chance to catch my breath. Bench press was next, followed by bent over rows and SLDLS :doh: By the final rep of set two of my SLDLS I felt like I was going to barf. I had to sit down and take a breather. This is when I realized that things would only get harder. But I must do this and as John mentioned this morning:

I finished up with a brisk walk on the treadmill to cool down. As I type this I can feel some soreness in my back and hips. The DOMS in my legs will kick in tonight, like clockwork. I left my HR monitor at home this morning so I will have to add my numbers later this evening.

Happy Monday everyone!:wave:

16. docutech

docutech Active Member

Todays numbers:

Gym time: 40 minutes
    MAX HR:184
    AVG HR:132
    Calories burned: 409 (45% fat)

Todays calories: 2946 (40/40/20)
    305G Protein
    298G Carbs
    67G Fats

Yesterdays calories: 2692 (40/40/20)
    272g Protein
    272g Carbs
    59.5g Fats

Umm yea, I am feeling fat :scared: and DOMS have arrived in my legs :blank:

:sleepy: Nighty night

17. docutech

docutech Active Member

Surprisingly, the DOMS in my legs aren't as bad as I thought they would be. My lats however, are quite sore. I am not sure if it is from Sundays pull ups or yesterdays bent over rows.:confused: ouch!

*Edit*
    I just looked up on EXRX.net and found it is the Teres Major that is hurting. I think it is from the dumb bell pullover's I did yesterday.

I've been on a high calorie strictly clean diet for 4 days now days now and feel a bit chubby. Looking in the mirror I don't see much difference but my mind is telling me otherwise.

I did 40 minutes of LISS on the Elliptical this morning, here are the numbers:

MAX HR: 179
    AVG HR: 160
    Calories burned: 708 (25% fat)

Todays calories (40/40/20):
    270g protein
    273.5g carb
    58g fat

#117 docutech, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  18. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

19. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thank you! Sometimes, if I don't exert enough, I feel that I am not doing enough cardio wise. For sessions that average around 160 on the Heart monitor I consider them LISS :cool:

BAH! I am running late today! One of my PC's decided it wanted to quit! After further inspection and a peek inside the case, I find that the fan cooling the CPU has died :mad: Lucky for me the software on my motherboard shut the system down :doh: New parts are on order from Newegg.

OKAY, lets wrap up by going over this mornings workout. Although challenging, it was very well executed (so I thought at least) No more assisted exercises! Dips, close grip chin ups were all done with body weight. I was proud of myself for knocking out 14 unassisted dips. 8 weeks ago I couldn't do 5. Chin ups were also a bit easier and I managed a total of 14 in 2 sets. Mastover if you are reading this: Is it ok to do the chin ups first and then the barbell curls? Thanks in advance! I wore myself out doing the barbell curls thus not having enough energy to knock out the chin ups. I worked my abs and calves as well. At the moment the upper part of my abs is sore. I gots to get my ass in bed otherwise I will be one cranky mofo come 430am!

Here are todays numbers:

Gym time: 50 minutes
    MAX HR: 162
    AVG HR: 136
    Calories burned:497 (50% fat)

Caloric intake 2739

#119 docutech, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  20. docutech

docutech Active Member

I walked in the gym this morning looking for something different I could do. Since it was cardio day, I hopped on the Ellipitical and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro :cool::

[​IMG]

The scenery was beautiful, weather was great and getting to the top was quite a workout. :D

Here are todays numbers:

MAX HR:176
    AVG HR: 157
    Calories burned: 672 (30% fat)

Caloric intake: 2664

#120 docutech, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008