1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NO EXCUSES! - Docutech's Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by docutech, Dec 29, 2007.

1. docutech

docutech Active Member

I believe it. The weather around here has been crazy! It snowed 8 inches on Friday and yesterday it was 70 degrees. Saint Louis has broken their influenza record this year. It has been a LONG time since the last time I was sick so I my time has finally come.

2. docutech

docutech Active Member

**Weekly weigh in**

I am back into it after taking a break from training. Last weeks sickness has put me on the DL for the majority of the week. I got plenty of rest, got over my sickness and was back in the gym this morning at 5am. This morning I performed a cardio workout on the Arc Trainer. After about 10 minutes it started to feel like someone was squeezing the life out of my lungs! They burned! After 40 minutes of pretty intense exercise I did Captains Chair knee raises 3 sets of 16.

Good to be back in the gym. I thought the period of inactivity would put a pound or 2 on me but it didnt. :)

Here are this mornings totals:

Gym time: 51 minutes
    MAX HR: 175
    AVG HR: 163
    Calories burned: 806 (25% fat)

Happy Monday everyone! :claphigh:

3. docutech

docutech Active Member

After last weeks "shitty leg workout" I was a bit skeptical about my leg workout today. Nevertheless, I got in there and did my thing. Boy, what a change! Great form, plenty of energy and two solid sets on each of my leg exercises were in the record books.

This morning, Creatine was introduced to my pre workout shake. Presonally, I do not care for the taste of it. As I performed my 45degree leg presses I was glancing in the mirror in front of me and saw muscles bulge out of my legs that I didn't know I had :cool: My legs are definitely getting more and more muscular, not to mention pretty strong! I followed up my leg workout with 15 minutes of cardio. It wasn't HIIT but a rather slow pace at a resistance level of 15. It was quite tough but I got through it. I hope I don't get any chest pains tomorrow.

Here are todays totals:

Gym time: 48 minutes
    MAX HR: 180
    AVG HR: 151
    Calories burned: 656 (30% fat)

4. docutech

docutech Active Member

I had a great cardio workout this morning. I was well rested and had lots of energy. The Elliptical was set on resistance level 12 and 40 minutes went by waay to quick. I thank the various artists who povided the beats for this morning routine. They made it possible. As usual, Captains Chair knee raises followed my cardio session and a 5 minute cool-down on the treadmill wrapped things up.

Here are todays totals:

Gym time: 49 minutes
    MAX HR: 181
    AVG HR: 163
    Calories burned: 774 (25% fat)

No chest pains today :tucool:

Good day!

5. docutech

docutech Active Member

This morning's workout was great. All of my exercises were performed with good form. I missed last Thursday's workout to illness so this morning I was ready to do some damage. After my weight training I decided to do some strength training on my grip. This thread inspired me to do this as my grip is not very strong. Currently I use lifting hooks for my dead lifts and DB bent over rows which help me immensly by taking the extra stress off of my wrists. By doing these static holds I am hoping to not only increase my grip but strengthen my wrists and build more mass on my forearms. The static holds were challenging and I feel soreness in my forearms as I type. HIIT cardio wrapped up this mornings workout and I was out the door!

Here are todays numbers:

Gym Time: 55 minutes
    AVG HR:141
    Calories burned: 662 (40% fat)

Oh and today will be a Valentines day "cheat meal". In almost 5 months we've only had 2 of those so I am really, really looking forward to it! Mexican food is on the menu :drool:

#85 docutech, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  6. docutech

docutech Active Member

:evil: What a cheat meal!!:drool:

We had Mexican food at Chevy's Tex Mex restaurant.

After a shot of cuervo 1800 Gold and a margarita on the rocks, I indulged on combo fajitas with chicken, shrimp, beef. A order of rice, beans, lettuce, cheese and habanero pepper salsa accompanied the sizzling dish. The waitress came around to ask us if we would be interested in a free pineapple and coconut margarita that the bartender mistakenly prepared so we were like hell yea! Unfortunately my alcohol tolerance is very, very low so I nor my valentine could finish it. Then the waitress came to ask if we wanted a desert. KACHING! more calories! We ordered a oreo cookie ice cream sundae.

I am sleepy, my stomach hurts but the food was delicious and well worth it. I counted over 1,000 calories not including desert but I am not too worried about it as I will be back in the gym to take care of it all.

Good night all!

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Docutech,
    2 cheat days in 5 months (I wish I could say the same), you are very disciplined. What weight do you think you will have to get to in order to get to 9% body fat?

8. docutech

docutech Active Member

When food is concerned, my goal was to keep things simple. I figured that if I ate clean that would be a variable that could be ruled out of the equation if things were to go awry (such as the fat not coming off). I realize all of us are different but I have read many horror stories where people have been really applying themselves in the gym yet cheated on a regular basis for the sake of staing sane. I am disciplined, very disciplined. Since food is soo easy to control, I think I have a firm grip on things in the kitchen. Valentine's Day was a special occassion and we wanted to celebrate! This makes 3 official cheat meals :D

I will be approaching 170 lb mark by Monday's weigh in. Another 10 lbs maybe? I honestly dont want to drop more weight as there will be nothing left of me and I dont want to look like a bag of bones. I am making some good progress in the gym and some of my fat loss weight is being replaced by muscle so I hope that remains the case. I have some skin wrinkling just at the top of my belly button which tells me that I am still loosing fat. I noticed this a few days after my progress picture on Jan 27th. My weight loss has slowed immensly, however the scale does show a continued decline which is a good thing. Hopefully, I will start seeing definition in my abs SOON! :spaz:

9. docutech

docutech Active Member

This morning's cardio workout was scrapped due to a work emergency which I had to take care of. I arrived at the gym around 5 pm this evening. 40 minutes of cadrio went by pretty fast and I still had a lot of energy. I decided to do my static holds again. 225 lbs was the weight and I did 4 sets to grip failure. First set was a overhand grip, second set was a mixed grip (left hand underhand) third set was mixed grip (right hand underhand) and the last set was overhand grip again until failure. By the last set my grip was pretty much gone. I think I only held the bar for about 15 seconds. Captains chair knee raises finished up my workout and I was out of there.

Here are todays numbers:

Gym time: 55 minutes
    Max HR:185
    Avg HR: 171 :tu:
    Calories burned: 957:eek: (15% fat:cry:)

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Back and biceps tomorrow morning! :bb:

10. docutech

docutech Active Member

I had a great workout this morning! Lots of energy and good form made it a good morning. I threw in an extra set of deadlifts to my routine. I think it may be time to go up on the weight a bit. I finished things up with 15 minutes of HIIT and that was all she wrote.

Here are todays numbers:
    Gym time: 56 minutes
    MAX HR: 178
    AVG HR: 147
    Calories burned: 732 (50% fat)

It is sleepy time. Night all!

11. docutech

docutech Active Member

**Weekly weigh in**

170.4 lbs

I thoroughly enjoyed my day off. This gave me a chance to rest my old bones after Saturdays intense workout. I believe it was JSF where I read a post in regards to deadlifts making one sleepy... After a very filling breakfast and a hot shower Saturday morning, I decided to lay down for a second to stretch my body. I woke up at 1030am frantic about my 930am meal I was missing :doh: Those deadlifts took a lot out of me and now I know what to do if I can't sleep ;). In all seriousness, I really needed Sundays off day to give my body a rest. I feel great today.

The scale tells the tale. I continue to chip away at the fat slowly but surely. I have only lost 5 lbs in 6 weeks, which is a crawl compared to the 8 or 10 I lost in the same time frame a few months back. I have made some tweaks to my diet calorie wise and looking at my food log for the month of February, I think I am dead on where I want to be. I will continue with the 40/40/20 split and 2200-2400 calories per day. The past three weeks have proven a steady 1 pound per week loss in weight which is just slow enough for me to have a firm grip on my fat loss progress. I am very happy with my results thus far.

With all the excitement of reaching a milestone in the weight department, I jumped on the Elliptical this morning and forgot to start recording my workout on my F11:mad::bang: About 12 minutes into it, I realized that I forgot to hit start. I started it anyway just to get some figures down on paper. 40 minutes at 8mph and resistance of 11. This morning I decided to do my Captains Chair knee raises a little different. 3 sets to failure. I managed to squeeze out 26 on set 1, 19 on set 2 and 16 on set 3. That hurt! :o

Here are todays totals:
    50 minute gym time
    MAX HR: 177
    AVG HR: 166
    Calories burned: 600 (55% fat)

Have a great week everyone! :bb:

12. docutech

docutech Active Member

Squats, leg presses, calf raises and SLDL's kicked my ass this morning. Not to mention the HIIT afterwards. I am whipped and DOMS have begun to set in. I actually dozed off already but forced myself out of bed just to jot down a quick update. My quads, hams, glutes and calves are on fire. Back is very sore as well. As I laid in bed I could feel my entire lower body throbbing with each and every beat of my heart :eek:. I'm tired yo! I treated these 'ol bones good today by feeding my body well.:tu:

Time for a rest.

Here are todays numbers:

Gym time:55 minutes
    MAX HR: 185
    AVG HR: 148
    Calories burned: 729 (35% fat)

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Nighty Night kids...

13. docutech

docutech Active Member

Today was cardio. It was great. About an hour or so after my workout I addressed the food issue and ate a good breakfast. The remainder of the day I ate really well. Only a week until picture time. Can you believe March is just around the corner? Man how time flies!

Here are todays numbers:

Gym time: 46 minutes
    AVG HR: 162
    Calories burned: 712 (25% fat)

It's sleepy time...:sleep:

14. docutech

docutech Active Member

As usual, my alarm went off at 4:30am and I was up and at it. I prepared my pre-workout shake with ground oats, Nitrean and creatine, whipped up my intra-workout shake and we were out the door. Todays weather forecast called for sleet/snow mix throughout the day. Upon finishing our workouts we stepped outside only to find the weather has taken a huge turn for the worse. About 1/2 inch of ice has covered everything. The roads were terrible and visibility was worsening by the minute. Despite of having the defroster set on high and high heat, the wipers had a hard time keeping up with the ice and the windshield was freezing over quickly. We got home just in time as the traffic conditions after 6 am became treturous.

Today I performed Military Presses, Dips, Close Grip Bench Presses and Incline Bench Presses. I followed my workout with 15 minutes of HIIT. My arms were like noodles and my triceps were on fire. Reaching for the oatmeal in the cupboard was a chore. I feel great though.

6 days until pictures :D

Here are todays totals:

MAX HR: 183
    AVG HR: 146
    Calories burned: 600(35% fat)

15. docutech

docutech Active Member

The weather was pretty messy and most patrons that I see on a regular basis at my gym were not there this morning. A total of about 5 people were at the door at 5am. Cardio was on the menu today and 40 minutes were behind me rather quickly.

It is amazing how quickly 7 weeks of training have flown by. One more week and I will be on to my next phase of cutting and a new weight training routine. This is my current workout:

Monday:
    Cardio: 40 mins

Tuesday:
    Squats: 2x10
    45 degree Leg Press: 2x10
    Stiff Leg Deadlift: 2x10
    45 degree Calf Raise: 2x10
    15 min HIIT cardio

Wednesday:
    Cardio: 40 min

Thursday:
    Smith Incline Press: 2x10
    Assisted Dips: 2x10
    Standing BB Military Press: 2x10
    Smith Close Grip Bench Press: 2x10
    15 min HIIT cardio

Saturday:
    Deadlifts: 2x10
    Bent over DB Rows: 2x10
    Assisted Pullups: 2x10
    BB Curls: 2x10
    15 min HIIT cardio

Sunday:
    Off

The weight training routine was courtesy of Mastover. I am grateful for his help as it has really kick started my metabolism, increased my strength and produced some great results. I continue to shed the fat while noticing some very admirable muscle growth (especially in my legs)
    I am still contemplating a new set of exercises but I do know that I will be keeping the deadlifts and squats and I would like to ween away from the Smith machines. As my legs are getting quite a workout, I would like to give more focus to my upper body, chest and biceps in particular. If anyone has suggestions please fire away and share your thoughts but in the meantime I will be searching the forum for some good ideas.

Only 5 more days until picure time :D

Here are this mornings totals:

MAX HR:182
    AVG HR: 164
    Calories burned: 730 (20% fat)

Have a great weekend everyone!:claphigh:

16. docutech

docutech Active Member

:whistle:

How did I forget to post an update yesterday? :bang:

My bad. Yesterday morning was back and biceps. Deadlifts, assisted pullups, DB curls and bent over DB rows. I was impressed with my strength and form during my deadlifts. I followed woodans post discussing deadlift form and applied some of the great tips mentioned within. Since the station where I perform deadlifts is in the corner of the gym, I am partially surrounded by mirrors and that allows me to periodically glance at my form during the exercise :tucool: Yes, I am sore today :bb:

I think I have another workout planned out for my next 8 week block of training :flex:

Here are yesterdays numbers:

Gym time: 50 minutes
    MAX HR: 174
    AVG HR: 139
    Calories burned: 600(40% fat)

Now back to enjoying my day off :spaz:

17. docutech

docutech Active Member

**Weekly Weigh In**

169.3 lbs

Happy Monday everyone!

I thoroughly enjoyed my day off. My son and I went bowling and I am not ashamed to say that he whipped up on me in a couple of games :o Yesterday I experimented with a new recipe to make a personal pizza. It came out delicious! I will post pictures next time I make one. It was yuummy :drool:. My food intake was a bit relaxed yet I still managed to weigh in over one pound lighter than last week. :tucool:

Today, I started my morning with a 40 minute cardio workout on the elliptical. Afterwards I performed 3 sets of Captains Chair knee lifts.

Here are todays totals:

Gym time: 51 minutes
    MAX HR: 183
    AVG HR: 168
    Calories burned: 841 (20% fat)

18. docutech

docutech Active Member

Good evening JSF!

430 am.
    The rooster was right on time this morning. Well...not really a rooster, it was my alarm clock but you get the pitcher. :D I got myself out of bed, washed my face, got dressed and prepared my shakes.

Today was leg day. After a quick warm up on the treadmill I proceeded for the squat rack. I warmed up with a couple of sets with a bare barbell and then loaded up the weight. I reached a milestone today! :claphigh: I am officially squatting more than my weight! 175lbs :bb: I am pretty proud of that. Although it kicked my ass, It felt pretty damn good. Leg presses and calf presses followed. I finished up with SLDL's and I was pooped. I decided to add an extra set of reps to each one of my exercises today in preparation for my next 8 week block of training. HIIT training did not happen because of the extra sets and I will be dropping it as of Saturday. My weight training will be pretty damn demanding and I will just not have the time or the energy for it.

Here are todays totals:

Gym Time: 50 minutes
    MAX HR:176
    AVG HR:140
    Calories burned: 592 (40% fat)

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the new weight low and also on squatting more than you weigh. It's a good feeling to be able to do so.

I have a question for you. I know that you use a hear rate monitor that shows how many calories you've burned, but what does the fat percentage mean in your recap? TIA

20. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thanks for stopping by Paul!

The fat percentage is automaticaly calculated by the Polar F11. Since it is a number that is generated by the HM I jot it down. According to the heart monitor, I find that during my weight training days I tend to burn a bit more more fat with less calories per session versus cardio days where I can burn a lot more calories and the fat calorie percentage is lower. For some, there may not be much significance but for me it is simply another way to keep track of things.