1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NO EXCUSES! - Docutech's Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by docutech, Dec 29, 2007.

1. docutech

docutech Active Member

Yes they are! God knows I can't run for squat!

2. docutech

docutech Active Member

Ok, folks I got some interesting info this morning.

Earlier this week I decided to cut out any and all extra sodium from my diet just to see what would happen. Guess what? I weighed in today at a slim and trim 173.4lbs :D. Usually I indulge in seasonings for my fish, chicken and steaks, and not to mention the egg beaters and veggies. All week I watched my extra sodium intake and it really paid off. Since I am preparing for tomorrows "picture time" this will be a good thing. I got this idea from reading some posts in the SXG thread where SwoleCat suggested this simple tip and it proved to be very beneficial. There are still many foods that I consume which have sodium in them so I didn't stop my sodium intake all together. Learn something new every day, eh? :confused:

I have been reading a lot about stretching pre and post workouts. Due to my tight morning schedule throughout the week, I simply don't have enough time for proper warm up and cool down stretching sessions. So clearly time is my excuse and frankly there will be no excuses in this book so I will have to get creative and work something out. :bang: I feel I am missing a lot by not allowing my body to prepare properly prior to my workouts as well as providing a good cool down with effective post workout stretches. This will change.

Anyway,

This morning's workout was awesome! Deadlifts, bent over DB rows, pullups and DB curls were on the agenda. Today I decided to mix up the order in which I performed them in and it paid off. Normally I would do my curls last but this morning I did them first. I was able to curl more weight with good form. DB Bent over rows followed dead lifts and pull ups wrapped things up. Very, very efficient and effective workout for sure! I concluded my session with a 15 minute block of HIIT on the Elliptical, which once again, kicked my ASS :mad:

Here are the totals:

Workout time: 56 minutes
    MAX HR: 185
    AVG HR: 155
    Calories burned: 889 (30% fat)

Have a good weekend everyone!

Tomorrow is my day off :D

3. docutech

docutech Active Member

***Weekly Weigh In***

So much for being stuck in the weight department. My small salt experiment worked wonders (for now). I am back to seasoning my foods again (sparingly) I was a bit shocked by the scale this morning :eek:. Nevertheless, I am hoping to shed about 5-8 more pounds to give me some more definition in my abdominal area as well as reduce the size of my man boobs. This is my plan at least. I will incorporate a lot more abdominal work for that killer 1-2 punch.

Here is my progress pictures so far. On the left 5'11" @ 206lbs and on the right, 4 months later, 5'11" @ 172.7lbs

[​IMG]

Yesterdays pictures were a huge eye opener. I admit that I've worked very hard in the gym as well as in the kitchen. Each and every meal I consume is systematically thought out and predetermined. It is paying off. I feel very good physically and mentally. My desire to get into the gym is as strong today as it was the very first day I went. The summer season is going to be great one for me. If you can imagine, I wore the blue Speedo's in Cancun year before last! :eek: at 200+ lbs ...yea not a pretty sight... But, hey, I don't know anyone there so :neener:

Todays workout consisted of cardio performed on the Elliptical, once again. 40 minutes, 8.0mph pace and resistance of 9. The numbers below tell the tale. I was whipped!

Total Gym Time: 45 minutes
    MAX HR: 183
    AVG HR: 167
    Calories burned: 828 (20% fat)

Enjoy your week everyone!

I am attaching a copy of my food log again for anyone interested in looking at it and maybe giving me some feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Wow Doc! Way to go!
    Your continued progress is awesome, keep it going!

5. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thanks, man! I appreciate the kind words of encouragement :tucool:

This morning I left the house in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt as the weather was mild, around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. As I type this it is snowing and well below freezing. Crazy, crazy weather :doh:

My favorite workout day began with a 5 minute warm up on the treadmill. Squat warm ups followed and I am happy to announce that I am officially squatting 135lbs :D. This is a pretty big accomplishment for me so :nono: no hatin'! ;) 2 sets of 10 was enough to get my HR waay up there. Form was good and they felt great! Leg press and SLDL's followed. I finished up with 2 sets of calf presses on the leg press. What a great workout!:bb: HIIT was next and finally the Captains Chair knee raises. I still feel it in my legs after this morning.

For the record, I absolutely love chicken wings. BBQ, Mild, Hot...whatever flavor they are! LOVE 'EM! It has been over 4 months since I had even one and low and behold at lunchtime today, I was surrounded by my co-workers who ordered wings from a newly opened restaurant near my work. There were 5 people chowing down on wings that looked and smelled incredibly good:drool: I kept my cool and fought the urge to pick up just one to have a taste. I continued to eat my steak and brown rice knowing how much better that meal was for me. I declined the repeated offers and let them gorge in their saturated fats. :cool:

Here are todays numbers:

Gym time: 53 minutes
    MAX HR: 185
    AVG HR: 153
    Calories Burned: 822 (30% fat)

Peace!

6. docutech

docutech Active Member

Sore throat, body aches and a runny nose woke me up around 2 am this morning. Unfortunately, I was not able to go to the gym this morning. I have been downing water like there is no tomorrow throughout the day and I am hoping to shake this bug as soon as I can.

...to be continued.

7. docutech

docutech Active Member

My primary concern last night was to get better and get back to my routine. I drank TONS of water yesterday and right before I retirded for the night I took a couple Tylenol Sinus Night Time tablets. I really dont like taking pills. I forced them down as I needed to ensure a good nights rest without waking up stuffy or achy. My alarm went off at 430am and I felt surprisingly good. A slight scratch in my throat was still there but not like yesterday. I proceeded to get dressed and got my butt in the gym. I took it easy this morning. Chest, triceps and shoulders were on the agenda. Once I finished my workout I did 15 minutes of Elliptical Trainer at a medium pace. No HIIT today. I may have got rid of the bug as I feel much better today.

Here are todays totals:

Gym time: 48 minutes
    MAX HR: 165
    AVG HR:139
    Calories Burned: 618 (40% fat)

Later...

8. DeliaJohnson

DeliaJohnson Active Member

:eek: what man boobs?! i see pecs!!! :tu:

9. docutech

docutech Active Member

Yea but they are still a bit bouncy :jumping: lol

10. docutech

docutech Active Member

This morning was a mess...but the day got better

Weather has been the topic here in Saint Louis for the past few days and everyone has braced themselves for a snowy Friday. Sure enough, 8 inches fell overnight (Maya, don't laugh :nono:) and had things pretty buried. I woke up earlier than normal to get the snow off my car and get things warmed up. I got my windows cleared and got the car moving, but there was a small problem. The hill plus the snow were a grueling combo for the POS Kia that I drive and it took me about 20 tries before I actually made it to the main road where I could at least move at a reasonable speed. What really pissed me off was not the weather or the fact that I had a heck of a time getting to the gym but the fact that no one ever showed up at my fitness facility to unlock the doors. :mad: I sat in front of the gym for at least 30 minutes and by then it was getting too late. I decided to leave and once again battle the unplowed roads and highways back home.

So I decided to go to the gym later in the day while keeping my fingers crossed that it wouldn't be packed. I got there about noon and there were plenty of machines (ellipticals) for me to choose from to get my cardio in for the day. Surprisingly, I had a TON of energy. I set the elliptical for 40 minutes at a level 10 resistance and kept an 8mph pace the whole time! My Polar F11 was displaying some serious calorie numbers! I was very, very surprised. If this was a morning workout my energy levels wouldn't be as high. Crazy stuff. After talking to the girl who normally opens the gym at 5am I found out that she got stuck in the snow :( hence the reason for her tardiness.

I am glad the weekend has begun!:claphigh:

Here are todays totals:

Gym time:51 minutes
    MAX HR: 185 :nod:
    AVG HR: 169:tu:
    Calories burned 926 :D (20% fat)

Have a great weekend everyone!

11. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

:lol:

just kidding ;)

12. docutech

docutech Active Member

13. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

over a foot :blank:

14. docutech

docutech Active Member

15. docutech

docutech Active Member

Good workout this morning. I was especially impressed with my deadlifts. 2 sets at 135lbs and I was able to squeeze in another set of 10 just for GP. This must mean that I am getting stronger. I feel like I am getting stronger for sure. Since I missed my Wednesdays cardio session, I will be in the gym tomorrow.

Here are todays totals:

gym time:55 minutes
    MAX HR: 174
    AVG HR: 149
    Calories Burned:790 (35% fat)

16. docutech

docutech Active Member

**Weekly weigh in**

No gym yesterday. Sundays are my days off and I decided to keep it that way. Also, by not working out yesterday I was able to take my VO2Max test on my Polar F11. It is recommended that the test be taken on an off day once a month. Last months score was 42. Last nights score was 48 :) This is good news to me because here is evidence that my Cardio sessions are paying off. :nod: Watch out Zen, Im'a gainin' on ya! ;)

Only 4 months and 17 days until the official start of summer. June 21st will be a deadline for me. Deadline for what, you may ask?... Well it will be a deadline to reach my goal. What is my goal? Simple:

1. Shed more fat
    2. Develop a more definded muscular physique
    3. Defined Abdominals

Thats it!. Sounds simple on paper but I know I have a long road ahead of me. I will need to work as hard as if not harder than I have the past 4 months. I am focused, determined and most of all I feel as I am being honest with myself by setting these realistic goals. For example: I read an article on T-Nation regarding body fat % and abs. It was mentioned that abs become defined at around 9% BF. Naturally we are all different and what may be 9% for some may be higher or even lower for others. So 9% is a number that I will be striving for. Each month I measure my BF% in my gym using the grip thingy tester (I dont know the name of it) In November, when I joined the gym I was at 19.8% BF. December-17.4%, January-15% and this past Saturday the machine said 13.3%. Yes, I know that those things aren't accurate but a steady decline in the numbers and photos as referrence is pretty much all I need right now. So, 9% is a realistic goal. My diet is to this day my number one priority. I am anal when it comes to the macro breakdowns and follow my food plan to the T. So we can "check" that one off too. Those are my goals :tucool: and now you know.

Today was cardio and here are the numbers:

Gym time: 54 minutes
    MAX HR: 184
    AVG HR: 169
    Calories burned 898 (40% fat)

Enjoy your week everyone! :claphigh:

#76 docutech, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  17. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Someone get me an effing bulletin board. Game on.

By the way if you want to jack up your VO2max remember to keep enough carbs in the diet to keep your high intensity periods really high intensity.

#77 zenpharaohs, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  18. docutech

docutech Active Member

:tu: Thanks for the advice Zen, will do!

19. docutech

docutech Active Member

I was certain that I was over my sickness but I was wrong.

Last night I didn't sleep well, had a horrible runny nose, tight chest and a sinus headache. Despite all that, I went to the gym anyway:bang: :nono: I should have listened to my body and took a break. My leg workout was horrible, I had no strength and my last two reps of my squats were absolutely horrible. I am surprised I didn't hurt myself. I was so drained after my weight training that I couldn't even do HIIT. I walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes to try to get some cardio in. Things just weren't clicking :nope: Thankfully my appetite hasn't left me yet so I am still eating pretty good.

I must take a few days off to let my body recover. I have to shake this bug fully in order to be back in the gym 100%. Stay tuned ya'll...

Here are my numbers for today:

Gym time: 45 minutes
    MAX HR: 175
    AVG HR: 142
    Calories burned: 553(35% fat)

20. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah my wife has had that lingering on for almost a month. She finally went to the doctor today.