1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NO EXCUSES! - Docutech's Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by docutech, Dec 29, 2007.

1. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

i like the workout spreadsheet. where'd you get it ?

2. docutech

docutech Active Member

The spreadsheet came from exrx.net I modified it to work for me. Here are the links to their various spreadsheets.

3. docutech

docutech Active Member

Yesterdays workout has blessed me with DOMS once again. The worst of it is in my biceps. During my DB curls yesterday I kept dilligent form and breathing throughout the entire exercise block. My movements were controlled, smooth and each rep was given 100% of my attention. I have done preacher curls for the past 8 weeks and have not had the same feeling afterwards until today. I think isolating my biceps with the DB curls has really shifted the focus to just that, biceps. Surpisingly there is no discomfort from DOMS in my legs today. The deadlifts yesterday were pretty tough but despite that, I am good to go today. I am getting a hang of this. :bb:

Today is my day off. I wanted to put my thoughts into words as I have been thinking a LOT about my transformation, training, diet and so on.

Being very new to the world of fitness and weight training, I try to educate myself by reading as much as I can in order to better understand things and effectively apply them in my daily life. The things I thought I knew regarding the subject were skewed and not at all up to par with todays ways of doing things. Let me give you an example: It was always my belief that in order to grow muscle and develop a bodybuilding physique, it was necessary to basicaly live in a gym. Not so at all. Training various muscles on different days gives them a chance to heal and repair themselves during sleep. I was also deceptively mislead by the fact that "the body will tell you when it has had enough". Funny, because it is totaly opposite of that. Following a simle routine will yield better results than pounding away at the weights day in and day out. Hence the "Less is more" mindset.

A coworker friend of mine approached me one day complementing me on my progress and aksed if I could give her some tips on getting ito shape and shedding some much needed weight. I sat down with her and briefly explained what I do and why I do it covering topics such as nutrition, exercise, rest etc. She calculated her BMR and had a clear idea of how much food to consume per day. My jaw dropped when she said she only eats 2 meals a day! :eek: Lunch and dinner :doh: I advised her that she needs to eat 5-6 small meals a day and explained why. Instantly she became negative about the whole thing. "I would get sick to my stomach if I ate anything in the morning". I tried to explain to her that this was her body telling her what to do, and once she made it a routine the sick feelings would pass. Needless to say she was looking for a 2 meal per day alternative for which, unfortunately I had no answer for. My point here is that we (each one of us individualy) are in charge of our bodies. Weather it is diet, exercise or just daily life in general, we are the only ones that CAN make a difference. I learned this first hand.

The farther I travel down the fitness road, the more I think about supplements. Protein shakes, fish oil and a multivitamin are pretty much my only ditetery supplements at the moment. I've done quite a bit of reading on creatine, glutamine, waxy maize and BCAA's. Is all this stuff worth it? Is it safe? Is it effective and most of all will it help me achieve my goals? :confused:

Lunch #1 is waiting. Blackened salmon salad with baby spinach, mushrooms, celery and a splash of FF House Italian :drool:

4. docutech

docutech Active Member

**Weekly Weigh in**

175.4 lbs

I've seem to hit a wall with my weight loss. I am not sure why this is. The only thing that has changed is my weight training routine. Honestly, I am not too worried about it as I am still seeing changes in my overall body appearance. If anyone is interested, I can post my daily food intake from the past 3 months.

Today was cardio. I hit the Arc Trainer at 04:55am. TI provided the tunes necessary to keep me in rythm and 40 minutes flew by. I worked out a good sweat, it felt great!:tu:

45 min. workout time
    Max HR 188
    Avg HR 170
    857 Calories burned (20% fat)

Marvelous Monday everyone! The holidays are officially over!

GET TO WORK!:spank:

5. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

one quick question... are you still eating at the same calorie level as when you started in September and were 206 lbs? if so, it may be time to re-adjust your calories to reflect your lower weight

we all hit plateaus now and then, it just means that your body has adjusted to the changes you have made... so you need to make new changes to confuse it (your body) again... reasses your calories, your macro nutrients and your workout routine... sometimes all you need to do is change your lifting routine and add 10 minutes onto your cardio to start seeing change again... and it might be as simple as refining your diet a bit by either droping your overall calories by a few hundred or chaning your macronutrients... can you post up a sample day (diet), what you eat, when and what amounts? plateaus are a pain, but they can be overcome :tucool:

6. docutech

docutech Active Member

Sure, I will post it when I get home from work today.

When I started all this, I was at around 1200 calories per day for about 6 weeks. After those 6 weeks I joined the gym and upped my caloric intake to about 1800 per day. Since starting my new weight training workout, I have upped that to around 2000 calories per day.

7. docutech

docutech Active Member

Ok, guys and gals. Here is my food log. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Attached Files:

8. docutech

docutech Active Member

** LEG DAY**

I looked forward all week to this morning. For some reason, doing deadlifts and squats gives me a great high. Once again, I focused on my body posture and breathing throughout every set of exercises. By the end of the workout I've worked up quite a sweat. I mounted the elliptical and did 15 minutes of HIIT. 1 minute drills with 2 minute cool-downs. Wore my a$$ out. My legs were quite sore and I had trouble climbing the stairs to my appartment once again. All in all, great workout.

Total time: 50 minutes
    Max HR: 190
    AVG HR: 154
    Calories Burned 789 (30% fat)

I've posted my food log above so if anyone cares to critique it of give me some input, please feel free to do so!

Terriffic Tuesday everyone!

9. docutech

docutech Active Member

Good Morning all!

Wonderful Wednesday-Hump day :claphigh:

Today was cardio training and I decided to push myself a bit harder by upping time, resistance and incline on the ArcTrainer. The figures below speak for themselves. I was pretty dawg'on tired by the time it was over. I have some moderate DOMS from yesterdays squats and deadlifts but nothing like last week. These should pass in a couple of days.

Todays todals:

Workout time: 50 minutes
    Max HR: 181
    Avg HR:170
    Calories Burned 947 (20% fat)

Woot! :jumping:

10. docutech

docutech Active Member

Another great morning is behind me. Todays weight training went very well. Chest/ Shoulders. I slept really good and had plenty of rest and it showed. My energy levels were high, I squeezed out each and every rep with good form. The assisted dips were MUCH better today. As Maya suggested, I placed my hands at the end of the bars(close grip), leaned forward a bit and it was smooth sailing! Felt awesome. No pains or discomfort whatsoever!:tu:

I finished off with 15 minutes of HIIT once again and wasnt as tired this morning as I was the previous couple of times. I may bump my HIIT to 18 minutes next time, we'll see.

I still have some mild DOMS in my legs from Tuesdays leg workout. Those pains just looove to linger! :doh:

Todays Totals:
    46 min workout time
    MAX HR:182
    AVG HR:148
    Calories Burned: 688 (35% fat)

Good morning everyone! I hope you all have a great day! :claphigh:

#30 docutech, Jan 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  11. docutech

docutech Active Member

:claphigh: It's Friday!:claphigh:

Good morning everyone!

This morning's cardio workout was great! Michael Jackson provided the entertainment during the 40 minute Arc Trainer exercise. Worked up a good sweat and felt really refreshed afterwards.

I have decided to start taking Creatine. I will use it in my pre and post workout meals and shakes. I feel it will give me an extra boost during my weight training workouts.

Here are today's totals:

Total exercise time: 45 minutes
    MAX HR: 179
    AVG HR: 163
    Calories Burned: 800 (25% fat)

:bb:

12. docutech

docutech Active Member

What it do?

Back and Bicep day.

Things went smoothly. The gym was empty this morning! Had the entire free weights and squat box area to myself. It was nice. I am progressing right along with Mastovers suggested routine and week 2 is done and over with. I am beginning to see some changes in my body composition, especially my legs. They are becoming more and more muscular and definition is slowly beginning to show. This is very exciting for me since I have never seen changes such as this in my overall body appearance. Another thing I noticed today, while doing my curls was a vein popping out on my biceps! That is definitely something I have never seen before. :tucool:

I have read a lot of reviews on the APT products and yesterday placed an order for a set of lifting hooks:

[​IMG]

I have noticed that as my weights increase, it is harder and harder to keep a good grip on the bar and maintain the proper form. I am eager to get these in my hands as I feel they will help me out tremendously.

Here are todays totals:

Workout time: 59 minutes
    Max HR: 181
    AVG HR: 150
    Calories burned: 881 (35% fat)

13. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

I hope you don't neglect wrist exercises when you get that strap! You're really dedicated, quite impressive ;) Are you cutting or bulking? How many calories are you taking in?

14. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thanks,

I am cutting right now. Ever since I posted my food log everyone advised me that I should be eating more! Instead of the Weight Method for figuring out the macros on my spreadsheet I started using the BMR method which greatly increased my caloric goal. I am taking in around 2500 calories at the moment.

15. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

We have another "vein" addict ;). Welcome to the club! :tu:

16. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thanks!

Today is my day off.

Nothing to see here. :nope:

17. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

You deserve it :nod: :tu:

18. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

oh god another one of us?

#38 Merk, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  19. docutech

docutech Active Member

:scared:

20. docutech

docutech Active Member

**Weekly Weigh In**

I am down about a pound from last week which isnt all that impressive, however, I have noticed many subtle changes in my body's appearance indicating that some muscle growth has occurred. For the past week I have been eating like a pig and there has been a few times that I had to close my eyes to swallow the last few bites off my plate. Despite that, things are going well.

I had a busy weekend. I spent most of the day Saturday combing the Mall for some new clothes. This was a frustrating experience to say the least. Would you believe that Macy's department store does not carry ANY pants in size 30 waist 32 leg? :bang: WTF is that all about? I searched for about an hour and came up with nothing. After tracking down one of the suave associates, he made an inquiry in the computer system to tell me that Macy's doesn't even stock that pant size. There were plenty of jeans but no business casual pants in my size. He said if I wanted that size I would have to go to the suit section where the pants were well over the 100 dollar mark per pair. No thanks. :tu: I picked up business shirts, shoes and a new pair of jeans.
    So yesterday morning I was once again off to do some more shopping. Thankfully I found some new pants in my size at Kohls. Here I purchased some new work pants, polos, a couple of sweaters, belts, and some new ties (which the cashier threw in for free :rolleyes:
    Pickled tink, I rushed back home to "clean out my closet" (Eminem?:confused:) Anyway, I weeded through all of my "fat boy" clothes and threw them in a pile to be boxed up. In their place is my new warderobe of new garments! :tucool: In 4 months I've gone from a size 36 waist to a slim and trim size 30.:D So much for my day off yesterday, I worked my tail off trying to get everything sorted and hung. I was beat.

**Cardio day**
    This morning's alarm was on the dot at 4:30am. I got up and was full of energy after a good nights rest. We hit the gym at 5am and the rest is history.

Here are todays totals:

Workout time: 45 Minutes
    MAX HR:183
    AVG HR :172
    Calories burned: 827( 20% fat)

Happy Monday everyone!

#40 docutech, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008