1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NO EXCUSES! - Docutech's Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by docutech, Dec 29, 2007.

1. docutech

docutech Active Member

Hello everyone!

I would like to formally introduce myself. My name is Piotr. I have been a lurker here in the forums before I decided to sign up. I stumbled upon JSF one day while browsing a different forum and read some of the responses regarding John’s progress. Everyone on that forum ridiculed John for being just a bit “anal” in tracking his progress down to taking progress pictures each day. When I looked at John’s first pictures and read his bio, I realized that I was essentially in the same boat he was. My diet was crap, I didn’t exercise, my sleeping patterns were poor and it showed. I love to cook as much if not more as I love to eat. I had no problem cleaning up a medium pizza loaded with toppings and an order of hot wings with tons and tons of ranch dressing and a 2 liter of Coca-Cola! There were many days that I would exceed 5000 calories per day and that is just from food, crappy food. Alcohol was also my downfall. After a long day at work, I enjoyed coming home to a few “cold ones” and on the weekends the scenario would double and sometimes triple. In February 2007 I hit another milestone. My waist ballooned to an all time high of 36 inches. A trip to the mall set me back a few $ to look halfway decent in the office. People, including my mother, started to comment about my protruding belly. It was quite amusing at first but after a while it got really annoying. I spent 14 years in the US Army and considered myself in decent shape for years. The last few years of service I hovered at 5’11” and 180 lbs. This was borderline overweight for the Army standard. I’ve always managed to pass the redundant “push-up, sit-up, 2 mile run” routine so I never thought about taking my fitness to the next level. No exercise, no gym memberships, no good eating habits…I was just cruising along.

In September of 2007 I visited my doctor for a routine yearly checkup. He was not at all happy with my weight. He also cautioned me regarding my increasing waist circumference and mentioned that I was a prime suspect for diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. I didn’t take his words seriously until I got a call from the office a week later requesting me to come in and discuss my blood test results. My cholesterol levels exceeded 230 mg/dl and I was stunned. The doc handed me a prescription and advised me to fill it immediately. Since high blood pressure and cholesterol run high in my family I was very concerned. The last thing that I needed was a daily pill regiment to worry about. Seeing how many pills my parents take daily, this was another wake up call. Knowing absolutely nothing about health or fitness, I found JSF once again and on 27th September 2007 I decided that enough was enough. I made up my mind that very day and haven’t looked back!
    Here is my first picture on this life changing day. 206 lbs with fat percentage that I believe exceeded 25%.

[​IMG]

I began reading the stickies in the Beginners Forum and made the entrance into the world in which I live today. Literally, overnight I became consciously aware of every piece of food that I put in my mouth. I found a simple calorie and weight tracking spreadsheet and began to use it. I tracked every calorie. I purchased a digital scale. Each portion was weighed precisely according to the Nutritional Label. My girlfriend thought I’ve gone MAD! She was not at all happy with the changes in the house. We were both used to my good cooking and have always looked forward to dinner and the weekends, as these were our times to enjoy great meals. I kid you not when I say that this happened overnight! The next day I filled a cooler with ice packs, loaded up with 2 full meals and 2 snacks and the rest as they say, is history. After a few weeks, she began to see that I was serious about my quest. She asked me a few questions regarding food and diet and she jumped on my bandwagon as well. To date, she has lost over 20 lbs and is with me in the gym each and every morning.

Here is a picture of my 4 week progress:

[​IMG]
    Huge difference! I am sure most of the weight lost was water weight but nonetheless…

The more I read JSF forums, the more I realized that just eating healthier wasn’t going to cut it. True, I’ve lost some weight and maybe an inch or so around my waist, the need for cardio and weight training became a must. I marched my a$$ into a Club Fitness facility, got a brief walk through with an instructor and took advantage of the “try us for 7 days” promotion. After going two mornings of cardio I decided to join. Every effort was made by the trainer to get me signed up for 40 training sessions which exceeded $2,000.00 dollars!! I respectfully declined, logged onto JSF and educated myself some more. I decided to alternate cardio and weight training with one day off for rest. www.exrx.net was a great resource for someone like me, who’s never, EVER stepped foot in a gym. I chose exercises that I felt comfortable performing and put together an 8 week full body workout consisting of 11 simple exercises that utilize most of the major muscle groups.

Things were a bit sketchy the first week as I was getting a feel for the machines as well as my abilities. Here is a progress picture after 4 formal weeks’ cardio and weight training:

[​IMG]

Nearing completion of yet another 4 week training period, I present you with another progress picture:

[​IMG]

The green shorts I have worn for most of my pictures don’t fit anymore. They literally fall down do my ankles. My current weight is 175 and slowly (but steadily) declining. My waist is a comfortable size 32 and it shows. People comment on my appearance and it feels good!

I rise each weekday at 4:30 am and am in the gym by 5am. 530am on Saturdays and in the gym by 6am. Sundays are my days off. I know his is very early but because of my work schedule it has to be this way. There have been many mornings that I would feel sluggish to get out of bed, yet my inner self swiftly kicked me in the a$$ and reminded me what it is I am doing and why. I was bummed Christmas day as the gym was closed and I was missing my cardio workout. Nevertheless, I didn’t let that hold me back. I was back on track the next day. Today, I can honestly say that I feel great! Not only do I feel great physically but mentally as well. I look forward to continuous support from the JSF forums and am eager to make good progress in my training as well as my appearance. Thanks to all of you for your knowledge and support. It would be pretty hard to do this alone.

For those of you, who are reading this, while sitting on the fence and deciding weather to commit or not commit, I have two words for ya…DO IT! It will be the biggest and best decision you ever make.

I will try to update my journal on a regular basis and keep all of you up to speed on my progress. I welcome any and ALL suggestions, comments, questions etc.

Thanks GANG! :tu:

[​IMG]

2. steeletkd

steeletkd Well-Known Member

Holy smokes!!! Great work!!! Keeping an eye on this journal :bb:

3. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Wow great work, keep it up :tucool:

4. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thanks guys!

I wanted to elaborate a bit more on my progress to date. Here is my November weight training schedule. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are my weight training days and the other 3 days are 40 minute cardio workouts.

I wanted to post these because I wanted to get some input from anyone willing to give it. Also, I hope that anyone that is just starting out can get an idea of a solid starting routine. Just to clarify, the bench press is a seated bench press on a machine (not BB bench)

[​IMG]

Here is my November cardio schedule:

[​IMG]

The month of December was very similar with the exception of weight and reps and my cardio has changed from the Elliptical to the Arc Trainer. Here is the December weight training spreadsheet:

[​IMG]

and the December cardio spreadsheet:

[​IMG]

For anyone curious as to why my calories burned are so much higher on 12/29/07: I purchased a Polar F11 Heart monitor watch. This was the first time I used it during my cardio workout. The Arc Trainer said 630 calories yet my watch said 880 calories. After getting some input from other JSF members who use the same HR monitor, I have a feeling that the figures from the watch are more accurate. A final attempt at setting it up will be performed tomorrow morning. By then I should be good to go in tracking my progress with the HR monitor.

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Hey man, that's great freakin progress! :tucool:

What I would do now is switch your training around to where you are using mainly free weight, compound movements. It's time to recalibrate your metabolic setpoint to one of muscle building and increased fat loss. You'll also be able to do with less cardio.

A three day per week routine for the next six weeks, something like this:

MONDAY:
    Squats: 2x10-15
    Leg Press: 2x10-15
    Stiff Leg Deadlift: 2x10-15
    Standing Calf Raise: 2x10-15

WEDNESDAY:
    Bench Press or Incline Press: 2x6-10
    Dips: 2xmax reps
    Military Press w/BB or DB: 2x6-10
    Close Grip Bench Press: 2x6-10

FRIDAY:
    Deadlifts: 2x6-10
    BB or DB Rows: 2x6-10
    Wide Grip Cable Pulldowns or Pullups: 2x6-10
    Close Grip Chinups or BB Curls: 2x6-10

Make sure to include 1-2 warmup sets and you're all set.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon, and keep things rolling!!

6. docutech

docutech Active Member

The 4:30 am alarm went off and I think I hit snooze twice! :doh:

Whipped up my Nitrean shake, splashed some water on my face, got dressed and was on my way to the gym. Only 5 minutes late today :p
    Once again, I had a very good workout. HR was on target and all of my exercises were performed with good form. The "normal" 5am crowd wasnt as big as usual, holidays I guess. This really made it easy to stay focused and stay in rythm while I perfomed the last day of my circuit weight training routine.

Unfortunately for me, I have to work today. I packed my trusty orange cooler with all the food needed to get me through untill I get home. Tilapia, pinto beans, barley, green beans, edamame beans, baby spinach, cottage cheese, fruit, and oatmeal are on todays menu Yummy! :drool: :eat:

As of Wednesday January 1st, 2008 I will be following Mastovers proposed weight training routine:

MONDAY:
    Squats: 2x10-15
    Leg Press: 2x10-15
    Stiff Leg Deadlift: 2x10-15
    Standing Calf Raise: 2x10-15

WEDNESDAY:
    Incline bench press smith machine: 2x6-10
    Assisted Dips: 2x-max reps
    Military Press DB: 2x6-10
    Close Grip Bench Press smith machine: 2x6-10

FRIDAY:
    Deadlifts: 2x6-10
    DB bent over rows: 2x6-10
    Assisted Pullups: 2x6-10
    BB Curls: 2x6-10

I am very eager to get started on these. :bb:

Mastover, thanks again for your help! :tu:

7. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Szczesliwego Nowego Roku!!

8. docutech

docutech Active Member

**Shaking things up**

Leg day

As per Mastovers suggestion, this morning was my first free weights workout. This sure was a change from my previous 8 week routine. Instead of the Mon-Wed-Fri routine, I switched things up to Tue-Thu-Sat. I felt that switching the days around would not only help me physically but mentally as well. Plus, since today is the 1st day of 2008 why not enter the new year with a bang! :bb:

It took me about 40 minutes to complete the routine. This also included warm-up sets. My legs are still shaking. I thought I died and woke up after my lest exercise. Since I had some time left (i try to keep my workouts to just under an hour) I jumped on the Elliptical for 15 minutes of moderate Cardio.

The F11 HR monitor tracked my progress:

54 min total workout time
    836 calories burned (30%fat)
    Average HR 153

The workout felt great!:tu: I am expecting some DOMS later tonight and tomorrow but as they say in every movie: "No pain, No gain!" :bb:

9. Justin_G

Justin_G Active Member

I am impressed! Amazing progress - keep up the great work and keep it coming! : )

You can see the progress in just a few short months with your abdominals.

Congrats my friend! :tucool:

10. docutech

docutech Active Member

DOMS have set in. Glutes, hams, and quads are tender. I think in a couple of days I will be good to go.

Cardio day

This morning was a little strange. I must not have been fully awake because I put my shorts on backwards :doh: then, my ipod was frozen (temps were in single digits this a.m.) so no music to keep my rythm. To top it off, I forgot my sweatband so naturaly I kept reaching for my towel to wipe the sweat off my face :whistle:

Other than that, the 40 minute cardio on the Arc Trainer went rather smooth. Average HR was 170, 845 calories burned (20% fat). :bb:

Good morning everyone! Enjoy your day!

11. docutech

docutech Active Member

Doms, dom, dom, dom!

The soreness in my legs continutes. I trust it will go away by Saturday.

Today's workout consisted of:

Incline Bench Press (Smith)
    Assisted Dips
    BB Military Press
    Close grip Bench Press(Smith)

My only gripe is the "warm-up" sets. Seems like they take quite a bit out of me before the start of my recorded sets. The 45 pound barbell itself feels pretty havy to me and it took all that I had to do 2 warm-up sets and 2 sets of 10(no extra weight) on the Military Press. Yes I am a weakling :p Gotta start somewhere, i guess.

A quick 15 minute cardio session followed the above routine. Got a good sweat going, felt great! :tu:

54 minutes gym time
    Max HR: 173
    Avg HR: 145
    769 Calories burned (35% Fat)

Terriffic Thursday everyone! :claphigh:

12. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

After switching leg routine I had serious DOMS for almost a week :eek:
    Now I do squats twice a week and i don't feel a thing.

I would suggest using dumbells sometimes too. How do your shoulders feel when doing Shoulder Press with Smith Machine?
    I do better with free weights. Not like I can go heavier, but it just feels better.

Have a great day too!!

13. docutech

docutech Active Member

Luckily my shoulders dont bother me too much. The scar on my left shoulder is from a Desert Storm wound that I sustained in 1990. "Knock on wood" I haven't had any issues. I haven't tried the dumbells but feel that the bar gives me a lot more stability when pressing overhead. I dunno, I may try dumbells one day and see what's what. :bb:

I did notice some discomfort in my shoulders when doing the assisted dips. The pain is gone as of right now but during my workout I could definately feel "something". This new routine has my body wondering whats going on and I am sure some of the aches are simply superficial.

14. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Be careful with your shoulders! Shoulders take a long time to heal. Once you injure shoulder, it can nag you for a long time.
    Take it easy with the dips. I had the same problem when I was doing dips. Somehow I guess I got stronger and the problem fixed itself.
    Make sure that your shoulders are warmed up well and then descend slowly. Think about what you are doing. Find the right position. When you feel anything pulling, do not continue.
    For now ice your shoulder, few times a day. Trust me.

15. docutech

docutech Active Member

Thanks for the good advice Maya. :tu: I will take it easy on the shoulders.

16. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

I agree :nod: be careful with your shoulders and STOP if you feel any pain and wait until your next shoulder workout to try again, but do it slowly and carefully :tu:

and CONGRATS on your progress so far... you're getting AMAZING results!! :claphigh::claphigh:

17. docutech

docutech Active Member

IT'S FRIDAY! :claphigh:

Where's the party at? I got a case of something chilled I can bring. Maybe some ...ummm Aquafina? :lol:

The DOMS in my legs and buttocks have subsided dramaticaly. I still feel it tho. Now the soreness has moved to my chest and shoulders! :bang: Yesterdays workout was pretty intense. I pounded my upper body and luckily the little "little something" I felt in my shoulder during my assisted dips didnt transpire to anything major. Last night after my last meal, I decided to drag out the ball and my 25 lb hex dumbells. I performed more chest and shoulder exercises. Standing DB shoulder press, DB bench press and close grip DB bench press. 3 sets of 10 on each exercise. My pecs and shoulders are moderately tender but nothing too extreme. Feels good :tu:

This morning I had the pleasure of doing cardio while Justing Timberlake and Timberland kept my pace and rythm. I was pumped and full of energy and it felt good! 40 minutes flew by and I still had a ton of energy so I mozied on over to the squat rack and did some hanging knee to chest lifts. 3 sets of 10 lit a nice fire in my abdominals. I was done.​

Totals:
    45 cardio
    Max HR 188
    Avg HR 172
    Calories burned 858 (15% fat)​

Fabulous Friday everyone! Have a great weekend!:tucool:

P.S. Did I mention that I'm "bringing sexy" back? :p:lol:

18. docutech

docutech Active Member

The rooster was right on time. 530am rolled around and I hit the gym.

This mornings workout consisted of:

Deadlifts
    DB bent over rows
    Assisted pullups
    DB curls

I was very consious of my form and breathing. The deadlifts were challenging. The last few reps sent my HR into the 180's. With only 50 lbs on the bar they were tough. I think that I may decrease the weight for the next go round simply go insure that my form is correct. Again, this morning, the warm-up sets for my assisted pullups and db curls took more out of me than I wanted to but despite that, I still managed to get 10 reps in on both sets of each exercise.

For post workout cardio session I tried something new this morning. HIT :eek:
    All I have to say is, hats off to all of you who do 20 or even 30 minute blocks of HIT :bow:. This is a LOT harder than it looks. By 12 minutes my HR was over 185 bpm and I began to feel a burn in my chest. 3 minutes HIT and 3 minute cool down was my routine. Sweat was literaly dripping off my chin. Nevertheless, it felt GREAT! :spaz:

Todays totals:

51 minutes
    Max HR 186
    Avg HR 154
    Calories burned - 800 (30% fat)

Good day!

19. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

5:30 AM? :eek: :bow:

20. docutech

docutech Active Member

Oh yea, I got 8+ hours of rest last night. Any more than that and I will get lazy! :nono: Anyway, I can sleep when I die :p