1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

No cigarette thread

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by vanDutton, Mar 12, 2008.

1. dso

dso Well-Known Member

Well I have had a pack of smokes in the past week....down from a pack and a half a day. Now I'm done, haven't smoked since yesterday threw away a half a pack this morning. Has anyone had trouble sleeping? I mean I can't sleep a wink, its after 2 am. I'm usually out by now. I feel like I'm in a different state of mind. Is this in my head, or is this usual?

2. dso

dso Well-Known Member

So how has everyone been doing?

It took me awhile, but I have not smoked for 4 days and 6 hours. Even went through afew days of work with the boss smoking and didn't have a single one. I already feel better, workouts are so much easier. Saved about $25.50 so far, and never want to smoke again.:tu:

3. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

I'm in - no smokes since Friday... I watched Constantine with Keanu Reeves yesterday where he lights up every 20 seconds - killing me. I almost went out and got a pack, but I was just too comfortable on the couch.

M@ smokes if I recall correctly, lets get him in here...

4. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

Still clear of the cigarettes here.:tucool:

Coming up on 7 months with no smokes.

Funny, as I was typing this I have the news on. Report is that the cost of cigarettes is going up again.

5. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

I'm in. I have wanted to quit for so long, I feel like I am at the right place to do it now. I did not so smoke yesterday, so... 1 day. woo hoo.

6. haleygirl82

haleygirl82 Active Member

ok ive slipped up a couple times but its been 6 consecutive days so far

7. dso

dso Well-Known Member

I slipped up a number of times, but i already feel better and can smell better. Good luck to everyone. My favorite movie is Goodfellas and someone is always smoking in that movie too, haha. Makes it tougher.

8. NCNBilly

Day 4 - no desire this morning. This is how it worked last time.. I just decided one day that I was done and that was it. Ermm, until a few years later.

I feel pretty good about it. I resisted last night when I was around other people smoking... Next hurdle will be May 16th when I know I'll be around smoking.

9. NCNBilly

Still holding strong! Anyone else?

10. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

This is a GREAT thread! Possibly one of the most healthy lifestyle supporting threads on JSF! Keep up the good work folks! Sounds like a lot of you are really ready to kick the habit. :tucool:

11. AzDesertRhino

Over 8 months with no cigarettes!!:tucool:

12. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Wonderful!

I am truely pulling for every one of you who signed up for this challenge! I quit smoking a few years ago and having someone to talk to about it really helps, especially during those cravings. This is a great idea!

Everyone in my family smoked, until about 5 years ago. My mom was born with mild asthma, then smoked for nearly 35 years. She was diagnosed with emphezyma at 45 and yet continued to smoke. She eventually developed COPD and had many bouts of pnumonia. 3 years ago she received a lung transplant. Without it, she would have died. She was only months away from suffocating to death when we got the call. I watched my mom go from a (seemingly) healthy energetic and fiesty woman, to a frail old lady who just literally withered away to nothing. The doctor said she had the lungs of a 90 year old. Knowing now that it could have been prevented, it's hard to watch people you care about still light up every day. Quitting could keep your friends and families from going through the same thing we did.

So agian, great job on deciding to quit! I'm proud of each of you! Being fit is more than just eating and exercising. I'll be watching this thread closely :D

**Your last cigarette was 284wks 5days 20hrs 8mins 12secs ago. You would have smoked 59815 cigarettes (299.1 cartons) and spent $11963.00USD**

13. NCNBilly

No backsliding, I got it kicked this time. Having a baby is GREAT reinforcement... I want to be there when she grows up. :D

14. Durchii

Durchii Active Member

I'm with all of you guys. I quit cold turkey three weeks ago, gradually coming down from a three pack a day habit, one of those packs being unfiltered and I feel absolutely terrific. It took a couple of days to think straight without the nicotine in my system, but I feared that if I didn't let it go, I would be leaving this planet in my mid-twenties with tubes going in and out of my body, and I wasn't looking forward to that.

Strangely enough, I haven't had a single craving since I tossed my last pack, and I've even had rolling papers and pipe tobacco lying around the house since then, so I'm well on my way! I really do feel tempted after or during a party that we might throw at the house (Alcohol has a tendency of doing that to an ex-smoker, methinks.) but my will power has been cast iron thus far.

:tucool:

15. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

Nice, I'm glad this thread is still active. I had my last smoke at about 5:00pm on sept the 12th, so today is day 12. I was smoking about a pack a day for a few years, give or take, some days less, but I made up for it on the weekends. Before that I smoked cigarellos quite a bit. I haven't really had any cravings so for. I'm glad I'm done with smoking, I always thought of myself as a nonsmoker, but continued to smoke. what an idiot. good job guys, lets keep up the good work.

16. Durchii

Durchii Active Member

I've come to the realization today that my cardio skills are definitely improving with the lack of smoke going into my lungs. Even being exposed to second hand on a daily basis, I ran a mile at a quick jogging pace today with no problems at all, completing it in about eight minutes, and am rapidly building up my endurance levels to what they used to be before I started smoking.

It may not seem like a lot, but when I was smoking, I used to have trouble jogging a quarter mile without wheezing and gagging my lungs out, and coming out of a three pack habit, I'm pretty proud of my progress thus far.

:D

17. 48 year old

48 year old Well-Known Member

Ok just read through this thread, I am now 52 years old and have smoked since I was 14. I just threw away my pack of smokes. I have cut back in the last 3 months or so to around 10 to 15 cigs a day, may not sound that good but that is from 2 - 3 packs a day.

Funny it has been 7,255 days since I have had alcohol or controlled substance in my body. Started a transformation in Jan of 05 with some pretty good results. Have said since the day I started training that I would quit soon!! but had a excuse every time for not following through. How crazy is it to do cardio for 50 min a day every morning and do a 5 day training split and have a cig as soon as I catch my breath..

SOOOOOOOOO! as of today nicotine shall not control my life again.

Thanks for starting this thread.
    just an old fart!!!:lol:

#37 48 year old, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  18. AzDesertRhino

Well, coming up on 15 months since I've smoked. :tu:

I figure that's probably around 6000 to 7000 cigarettes I haven't put in to my body. (Used to smoke around 1/2 to 3/4 pack a day. Smoked a lot more years prior to that.)

Probably saved myself a couple of thousand dollars.

I'm sure my health is better but I haven't done so well with the weight loss and exercise routine but getting back on track with that now.:bb:

John Stone likes this.