1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

No cigarette thread

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by vanDutton, Mar 12, 2008.

1. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

Hey guys

I'm trying to quit smoking and wanted to see who else wants to join me in the task. Just sign up by making a post. No limit on when to join (NOW NOW NOW!!!!). Post up at least once a week to keep us honest.

2. maxxym

maxxym Active Member

Good lukc man.
    I quit on January 1st.....so far so good

Time passed: 10 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours, 53 minutes, 40 seconds
    Cigarettes not smoked: 1430
    Money saved: $353.93

You can do it.

3. dso

dso Well-Known Member

How's that working out for you? I would LOVE to quit too. In my opinion it is mind over matter. If you want to quit bad enough you will. Here is my problem with it. It is more of a habit for me that anything else. My boss at work smokes, making me want a smoke. When I'm sitting around watching a movie or TV...smoke. Even when I get back from the gym, believe it or not I light one up. It is a waste of money and extremely dangerous. If this is still going on let me know, I think I might be in.

4. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

Yes. It's definitely on. For me, it's also just a habit. I've tried the patch and the gum... but it's just the 'something to do' part that kills me. It's not the nicotine. With the patch, I was still smoking a pack a day... with a really nice buzz going on. Man, I felt weird as hell with that. I'm hoping this tread won't quit, because people will always need to quit smoking.

5. dso

dso Well-Known Member

Have you made any progress with this? Driving in the car too...thats terrible for smoking.

6. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

VanDutton and dso.... You can do it! I smoked for 20 years, at one point going through 2-3 packs of Camel Filters a day. I quit. It got to the point where they were just nasty to me. Fitness was becoming more of a priority and smokes were seriously inhibiting that, so I had to make a decision on which was more important. Plus, as my life evolved, it became more difficult to smoke. We bought a house... didn't want to smoke in the house. We had kids... didn't want to smoke in front of the kids. Our oldest became old enough to throw a fit when she us with a cigarette or smelled it on us. Our gig was up, so to speak. You can do it. Just make yourself HATE them. Hate them with an unholy passion. You can do it.

7. dso

dso Well-Known Member

I had 5 smokes today :nono: Compared to the pack and a half I usually have a day, I guess thats progress?

8. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

Smoked half a pack today - had been two packs a day (I was a healthy one!!!) It's really hard because everyone I work with smokes, and they aren't making my life any easier by asking me to go on smoke breaks with them all the time.

9. hammerman1975

hammerman1975 Well-Known Member

Quit Dec 6th, best thing i have ever done..Not one Cigarette since!!!

Will never go back, life is too precious to be a prisoner to the nicotine.

Good Luck

10. dso

dso Well-Known Member

Thanks alot. I had 6 smokes again today from my boss. He is supposedly quitting also. I need to stop completely, but I have cut back from 30-40 smokes a day to 6. I literally already feel better.

11. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

I smoked for many years. I tried to quit many times. I used every excuse in the book to fail.

I see a few of them posted here. I had many more over the years.

1) I enjoy smoking.

2) My job is too stressful.

3) All my friends smoke.

4) Insert your favorite excuse here: ________________.

As a friend of mine told me one time "Any excuse will do!"

He is currently dying from lung disease brought on by smoking. He was not a heavy smoker but smoked for years.

Which pack of cigarettes or which cigarette will be the one that puts you in the situation where it doesn't matter if you quit or not?

You can stop smoking if you want to. I quit cold turkey 6 months ago. Not 1 puff since. If I can, you can!!

12. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

The 'I enjoy smoking' is not an excuse so much as it is the truth for a lot of people. Some peopl smoke due to addiction, some habit, but others truly enjoy the taste of a cigarette.I'm one of them, which is what is making it so hard to quit. Some I know HATE the taste, but still smoke. I've never understood that, but to each his own.

13. dso

dso Well-Known Member

I DID enjoy smoking, now it is more of a habit. I'll tell you one thing, when you don't smoke for about a day, then light one up it doesn't taste half as good as it did before. I'm still working on this smoking thing. I have cut back alot the past few days, but haven't completely quit. I think it's mind over matter and I need to get into the right mindset. It does make it 100 times harder when people around you smoke.

14. AzDesertRhino

Didn't mean that "I like smoking" was an excuse for all but it certainly was for me.

15. haleygirl82

haleygirl82 Active Member

16. dso

dso Well-Known Member

This week got off to a good start, smoking maybe 5 squares a day....the I started bumming them from my boss, next thing you know I'm at the 711, "Marlboro Lights in a box, please". Nobody to blame but myself. I will say this, I bought about 3-4 packs this week, when I usually buy 7-9. Thats progress, anyhow.:confused:

haleygirl, keep us posted

17. Spongy

Spongy Active Member

count me IN! I've smoked for a bit now, and quit temporarily, then got blindsided by a personal issue and started again. No better time than now to quit though!

18. AzDesertRhino

Still staying clear of the smokes here!!:tucool:

Hope everyone is having the strength to abstain from smokes.

19. haleygirl82

haleygirl82 Active Member

darnit i smoked over the weekend :(

20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Active Member

Oh man, I love cigarettes. I quit cold turkey on Feb 18th and haven't looked back since then. I was smoking a pack and a half a day. I miss cigarettes a lot, but I feel good knowing that the road to my death isn't being mapped out for me any more.

For me, the hardest part about quitting wasn't the nicotine itself. The cravings went away after about 3 weeks. The one thing I struggled most with, and still somewhat struggle with is the gigantic void it leaves in your life. For example, at break time at work, I don't know what the hell to do anymore. I get up, walk around aimlessly, then go sit back at my desk. Breaks are meaningless these days. Also, sitting at my computer at home. I used to chain smoke at my computer nonstop. I still find myself looking around for my ash tray once in a while when I sit at the computer.

It's tough but it sure as hell isn't impossible. I wish everyone the best of luck.