1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

No access to Power rack, how to do stronglifts 5X5 routine?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by jtimar, Oct 4, 2008.

1. jtimar

jtimar Active Member

I have decided to start doing the stronglifts 5X5 routine. My only issue with it is that he is very emphatic about not substituting Squats with a hacksquat machine or smith.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure my gym does not have a powerack (there is a chance I could be wrong, there is a suspicious knob on the smith machine, and I have heard that some allowed the bar to be "uncoupled?").

So really my only option is doing the hack squats or using the smith, his steinberg lift alterntive is bloody scary to me, and a home gym is out of the question.

What's my best alternative here?

2. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Double check the gym for a power rack, squat rack, whatever. If in doubt, ask. If it does not, I would join a gym that does. :nod:

3. jtimar

jtimar Active Member

thanks foley, but changing gyms right now is a bad option, what with all of the contracts and dues, so should I just go ahead and try this routine modified with sled hack squats? Isn't that better than nothing?

4. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

Give your gym a call and ask what equipment they have for squatting. There's no point in exploring alternatives until you find out about this first.

5. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

Two related points. When you do, go to the top and talk to the owner, if they don't have it, they may decide to get it. Also don't mistake a smith for a 3d machine which is a non-path-restrictive version of a smith. Might be called a "Jones" machine. Ask about that too.

6. jtimar

jtimar Active Member

well I work out a a chain gym, so I don't know how effective talking to the owner would be, but I suppose it's always worth a shot. It is a HUGE gym, and they have pretty much everything else, and multiples of many things, so we'll see I guess when I go in tomorrow.

7. Azure

Azure Active Member

Hard to believe that they wouldn't have a power rack.

8. xclutch

xclutch Active Member

My gym doesn't havea rack either

9. jtimar

jtimar Active Member

Hey just wanted to let everyone know that I discovered that although my gym does not have a power rack, they do have another kind of squat rack, which does the trick. So I am good to go. I hope the (much smaller) downtown location has one too once I move into Vancouver.

10. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

My old gym didnt have a rack but the squat rack sufficed :(