1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie who needs help to reduce body fat!

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Kelloggs, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Kelloggs

Kelloggs Active Member

Hi I am a 36 year old female who weighs 9st 5lb and I stand at 5' 2" tall.

I used to be 8st 9lb until I stopped going to the gym but I have returned with a vengence but can't shift the fat.

I do bodypump (weight training to music which does every area eg squats with weights, lunges with weights, bicep curls, triceps, shoulders, back and abs) about 3 times per week and I have increased my weights recently. I also do 2 sessons of legs, bums and tums classes.

I also do lots of cardio excercise - body attack, body combat at 5 - 7 times per week.

All of these classes are of 1 hour duration so I do about 7 - 14 classes per week.

My diet is good, but clearly not effective and so I think this is where I need to make changes and need help.

I have not shifted a single bit of fat since exercising regularly as above for the past 6 weeks (when I returned to the gym). Whilst I would not have expected to lose it all yet I did expect to start losing fat. My clothes are not getting looser and my weight remains constant.:(

I eat regularly - breakfast either a bowl of whole-grain cereal with semi-skimmed milk and splenda to sweeten or porridge with semi-skimmed milk or granary toast with a poached egg with a bit of sunflower marge.

Lunch varies depending on what I am doing - either a salad with Italian meat and an egg with olive oil on (not loads though!!), or a panini with mozzerella and tomato (when I am out), or a pasta salad.

For dinner (which is my biggest downfall I think) I eat quite late as my classes tend to be mostly in the evening and I can't eat before I go as it will be too early and I haven't time to deal with this with the children to look after. I have either chicken with brown rice and vegetables, or a home-made chicken curry with low fat yoghurt and brown rice, or trout with new potatoes or brown rice and veg. I eat fruit between meals with a bit of low fat yoghurt (strawberries and blueberries are my current favourites). I don't eat crisps any more!!

My lifestyle apart from exercise is quite sedentary apart from the housework and childcare. I don't work at the moment as I am a student.

I want to achieve a slimmer stomach area as this is where the fat goes - I have defined arms and legs and I can feel the muscle underneath the fat on my stomach. My hips have also gained fat recently when they were always 34" - they are now 36". My waist is about 30". I also have a few rolls of fat in my back area.

I know I can't spot reduce - I don't want this, I just want to reduce my total body fat. what am I doing wrong and how can I get on the right track?

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

When someone begins a diet and training routine with a lot of cardio from the onset, it's going to take even more and more cardio later on to keep progressing if fat loss with lean muscle retention is your goal. Your metabolism will more than likely, crash at some point. I always recommend beginning with the least amount of cardio and to allow the diet to burn the fat. Yes, your diet is a little suspect. Try and gravitate to a structured eating plan, having 5 meals a day, lowering simple sugars, (sugar is the enemy), and having protein at every meal. Water should be your only beverage and 3-5 liters a day would be great. Here is something which may work for you:

M1: 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 grapefruit.
    M2: 4 oz chicken breast, 1 cup green fibrous veggie, 1/2 cup cooked brown rice.
    M3: 4 oz fish, large salad (cucumbers, onion, romaine, mushrooms, pepper, tomato) 1 tbls olive oil and vinegar.
    M4: 4 oz chicken breast, small sweet potato (4-5 oz), 1 cup spinach or broccoli.
    M5: 5 egg whites, 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple, 1 tbls. natural almond butter.

I would also take a good women's multi amd 6-8 gr of fish oil per day.

And WATER WATER WATER :)

Welcome to JSF! :)

3. Kelloggs

Kelloggs Active Member

Thanks for that - how do you prepare the egg white? I have only ever eaten whole eggs before (apart from meringues!!!) :lol:

4. pminn

pminn Well-Known Member

Just throw the egg white in with the rest of the egg mixture (assuming you're using at least one whole egg), then scramble it up. Or if you're not using a whole egg, just scramble the egg white. You can add the usual veggies if you like to make an omelette.