1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie needs a plan please!

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by hoganfe, Oct 30, 2007.

1. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

It was suggested in the fitness over 42 thread to post my current program so I can get some input.

here goes: F/age 55/173 lbs/5'9" - desired weight 140-150 lbs
    BMI=25.5 (yikes!)

My exercise program for the last 17 years has been consistent and included aerobics with light weights 3-5 times a week.

For about a year I did do the Joyce Vedral Fat Burning Workout and did see results! After my second baby tho I went back to aerobics with light weights and yoga/pilates.

So starting last week I got back with the Vedral program and eating low calories but increasing my protein and fiber . After reading other suggested diets here I see I need more protein and veggies. I don't eat beef but I do eat buffalo and moose, chicken -eggs & protein powder.

I do take vitamins daily.

We live in outback Alaska so gyms are out of the question. I do love dvds to workout with - can I get success with free weights?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

mary

2. banderbe

banderbe Active Member

You can get a great workout with no weights at all.

Check out the book "The Naked Warrior".

Another good resource is http://www.turbulencetraining.com

You can also look on YouTube for Craig Ballantyne (creator of Turbulence Training) to find videos of his body weight full body circuit workouts.

3. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

4. leandom

leandom Active Member

Free weights are the best thing to start out with and if you really would like a great programe check out the body for life site all free weights and really easy to follow or even check out johns training he uses a lot of free weights and look where he is.

Any way heres the site I recommend www.bodyforlife.com

Hope it helps

5. virtualadrian

virtualadrian Active Member

BMI is crap anyway, mine is 25.x too and I'm "overweight" yet my BF % is 14 or so. BMI has no way to consider people with a higher amount of muscle mass. But anyway, do you have dumbells? What sort of weights are you using. The other thing is that if you want to lose weight, and I'm sure you know this, it's all about the diet.

6. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

Yes it is mainly diet when it comes to weight gain...I have started writing down everything I eat - it has already helped some.

My free weights are 3,5,8,& l0 and after using these all week even tho they are wimpy I am feeling the gain!!

I got the fit for life book (wish he had a dvd of the workout) and will be starting it tomorrow :)

7. virtualadrian

Try www.fitday.com

8. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

thanks for that link!

9. Gubernatrix

Gubernatrix Well-Known Member

You say you exercise with light weights. The key to weight training is to use progressively heavier weights. This will not make you big and bulky, it will make you look leaner.

If you are not challenging your muscles they won't grow and your progress will grind to a halt. It doesn't matter what your starting point is, but if you can do more than 12 reps with the weight you are lifting, it is time to increase that weight.

I think 12 reps is the maximum you should be doing in a set, but I would actually recommend 6 to 8. Also, if you slow your reps right down you will get a much better quality workout than if you lift quickly for more reps.

Good luck with your training!

10. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I'm 27 or something, lol. Jay Cutler? 39. What a fatty.

In response to your question though, I would implement intervals into my workout if I didn't have access to weights. Sprints, they burn the fat off your body like nothing else.

11. hoganfe

hoganfe Active Member

Gubernatrix - thanks for than info I did not know that about the reps...this is my 2nd week doing BFL and I pushed it a bit trying to up what I did last week and almost hit myself in the face...:blank: so I will stop trying to rush and work on taking time during the set.

B_D - thanks for your info ... I am doing intervals in my aerobic portion of BFL I speed walk for 3 mins and run for 3 mins. for 20 mins. it is a killer but I can do it even longer than the 20 mins.

12. virtualadrian

It's funny that you say that about Jay, my wife saw a pic of him in Flex with his clothes on and said he just looked fat :lol:.