1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie intro

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Cocomartinez, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Cocomartinez

Cocomartinez Active Member

Hi – newbie here looking for advice.

I’m 46 and started my quest to look hotter January 14th. I’m 5´6¨ and currently 178. I hit a plateau in April and May and didn’t lose anything until last week, after I changed to a 3 day lifting schedule with 1 day of cardio instead of 2 and 2. Unfortunately, I didn’t take measurements or pics at the beginning. I’ve lost 8 kilos (16 lbs) and maybe 2 pants sizes since January. My goal was to be 135 by the end of October – but that looks unlikely at this pace.

I joined a gym and spent about an hour and 20 minutes 4 days a week - 2 days of weightlifting with 20 minutes of cardio and 2 days of cardio – rowing, elliptical, treadmill, recumbent bike. I generally do 15 minutes of my version of HIIT (1 minute 8-9 and 2 minutes 5.5 with 6.0 incline on the treadmill) each session. The machine tells me my heart rate maxes at between 170 and 180. The rest of the cardio is somewhere around 155. I do barbell squats, lunges, dead lifts, lat pull downs, assisted pull-ups, horiz. rows, dumbbell chest presses, shoulder presses, dips, all 3 sets of 8 as heavy as I can. Mondays I have a Bodypump class which is more reps at lighter weights.

I calculated my BMI at 2350. I’ve been recording my food intake at Fitday – averaging 1500-1600 calories a day, aiming for a 40P 30C 30F split, but frankly it varies day to day. It’s hard to cook real food and keep the fats below 30. Saturday is a free day.

Daily food intake:
    Bfst (8:00) fruit with lowfat yogurt and nuts or 1 slice ww bread with 2 tbps. Peanut butter, 6-8 oz coffee, 1 multivitamin
    Snack (11:30-12:00) Lowfat yogurt
    Snack (1:00) 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
    2:10 to 3:30 Workout
    Lunch (4:00) Green salad with added approx 6 oz. lean protein (chicken, tuna or poached salmon), tomatoes, vinegar and olive oil or BK chicken wrap with diet coke (390 calories, 7 g fat, 35 carb, 25 protein) and 2 Flax oil capsules.
    Dinner (9:00) 6 oz protein, 1-2 cup green veggie, 1 cup starchy veggie

The schedule looks odd because I’m living in Spain –lunch is around 2 and dinner around 9-10:00 PM. I’m used to it now.

Fortunately I don’t crave sweets or salty snacks. I’ve pretty much given up bread and cheese (except for the ww bread in the mornings if I don’t have any fruit or yogurt). My big weakness is drinking– wine is not only really good here, it’s also really cheap. I’ve cut back to a glass with dinner 2 days a week and Saturdays (but I can drink a lot on a given Saturday.) I suspect this has been slowing the loss.

I can see changes, and people at work, family etc., all tell me I look like I’ve lost weight. I’ve put on muscle in my arms and chest and lost inches in my hips and thighs. But after finally buying a measuring tape – I’m still really big. And really frustrated by that.:mad:

Any advice on adjustments to speed up the fat loss would be great.

Thanks, and I’m glad I found this great resource.

2. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to JSF! The female forum doesn't get a whole lot of traffic, so you might want to try posting your questions in the beginners forum.

I take it to mean you calculated your BMR at 2350. I think that's too high. Your BMR according to this calculator is 1523 (keep in mind, this is just an estimate). Your total daily expenditure, using an activity multiplier of 1.55 is 2360, which is probably how you came up with that number.

Personally, I think you should try eating more. Sometimes our bodies won't let go of the fat if we eat too little for our current activity levels. This also happens if we've been in a caloric deficit for a long time, as it seems you have been. That's why many people don't recommend being in a deficit for more than 16 weeks at a time. I think you should try eating at maintenance (2360 kcal/day) for three or four weeks before dropping back down to 1800. Not only will this give your body a break from cutting but your mind as well. Even if you seem to have gotten over your plateau, I think this would be a good idea. 1-2 lbs loss per week is ideal, by the way. Any faster and you risk losing muscle.

Finally, don't be afraid of fat. Your body needs fat. I don't go below 40 g of fat per day.

EDIT: If you haven't done so already, check out this sticky:

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=41991

#2 J_W, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  3. Cocomartinez

Thanks! Any thoughts on what more to eat and when?

I lost another kilo last week - yay me!:tucool:

Cheers,

Coco

4. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say "hola" and welcome!
    Spain is really close to my heart because I lived there for a while and my family lives there. Beautiful place!

Just a quick glance (I really have to run right now- heading out to work) and I would change your few first meals. Add some protein there.
    Then reduce the protein the last couple of meals. Spread it out more evenly (I have usually 6 x 3-4 oz of protein).

How do your Saturdays look?
    I know that 1 day can ruin the whole week so when I have "free meals" it's 1 meal a week.

It's easy to cook low fat meals, depends how you cook.
    I dont recommend dropping below 40 grams of fat a day

I will write more later...

Hasta luego!

5. Cocomartinez

Maya - ¡hola guapa! Encantada conocerte.

Saturdays are for aperitivos, and tapeando. I don´t eat badly, although green veggies are hard to come by in restaurants here, but the cañas, tinto de veranos and cubatas add up.

I´m thinking I should move the cottage cheese to breakfast and eat the a ham or turkey on ww before the workout.

We use olive oil for cooking - but a 6 oz filete de ternera is still 391 calories and 16 g fat, and they´re pretty lean. My salad at lunch goes from 150 cal to 380 with the oil and vinegar added. I guess I shouldn´t worry as long as people are suggesting I eat more. How often do you hear that? :D

BTW - I want to look just like you. . .estás para parar un tren, tía.