1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Fat Loss: 50/30/20 vs timed carb vs ?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by nomadsails, May 13, 2011.

1. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Hello all, I'm trying to figure out where to start.

Currently I've made a basic plan of 6 meals per day, somewhere between a 50/30/20 and 40/40/20 that is basically oatmeal and protein for breakfast, turkey sandwich with celery or salad for lunch and a turkey salad for dinner with MRP shakes between meals. I'm shooting for 1800 cal/day. I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 3 days per week and just had a suggestion to add some cardio on lifting days after workouts and maybe some LISS or HIIT on non lifting days so I'll try to incorporate that as well.

I'm 5'7.5", 200-202 first thing in the morning and about 25% BF.

I think this is a decent place to start (would love critiques) but I've also seen some chatter about the superiority of timed carb dieting. TBH I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'd love to hear suggestions on anything that would work better.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I should be doing now to start taking off the BF without dropping too much LBM?

2. jsalazar

jsalazar Active Member

i wouldnt invest much time on meal timing ( be it carbs, or any other macro)

you should focus on enjoying your meals, so you can stick with your caloric deficit 90-100% of the time.

3. Eye-Licker

Eye-Licker Member

the simplest possible approach is usually the best. :) at your stats you should just cut your calories 15-20%, and do some cardio and weights, there really is no need at all to start with the more advanced diets like ketogenics and carb cycling until you hit at least 12% bodyfat. at 25% you don't have to manipulate your body in order to let go off the fat, it will do so in its own accord by simply excercising and eating well.

1800 kcal a day is too little for you, aim instead for 2500. i know, it's a lot more than you initially intended, but the fat must be burnt, not starve. if you starve the fat, you starve the muscle and the only thing you're burning is your metabolism and your progress.

i hope you find something that works for you, and that you get the results you want, but at 1800 calories a day you are setting yourself up for failure. not now, but a little down the road.

for comparison, i weigh 143 and i eat roughly 2200 calories a day, and i'm still burning fat. :tu:

4. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Thanks for the advice!

My goal is to drop 20 lbs by Aug 20. For me this is set in stone. Using the Harris (IIRC) formula that works out to 1750. I wanted to stick there to start with because I figured the first week or two wouldn't hurt and because the FDA allows food manufacturers to be off on their calorie counts by like 20%. A 20% increase would put me at about 2100 cal anyways. I'm also planning on bumping the cals up after I got a baseline at 1800 cal.

What I'd really like is a few inches off my waist.

In the mean time, thanks for clearing up confusion about the complicated diets. I'll KISS.

I'd love any other advice that might help me see that few inches or 20 lbs by Aug 20.

5. Eye-Licker

Eye-Licker Member

20 pounds in 3 months is very doable. :tu:

3 months = 12 weeks = 1.6 pounds a week. this puts you at the upper range of safe weightloss per week, if you try any faster you might lose 20 pounds, but maybe as much as 8 of them will be lean tissue. :(
    one pound of fat = 3500 calories, so you need a weekly deficit of 5600 calories, which works out to a 800 calorie deficit a day. hope this puts things into perspective.

these 800 calories should ideally not come from a lower intake of food, but an increase in activity. 30 minutes of jogging burns roughly 400 calories, but more importantly your metabolism gets ramped up for a few hours after working out, this goes for both weight training and cardio. at your size you should have a maintenance level about 2600 (rough guesstimate) calories a day, so eating 1800 already puts you at a 800 deficit, which means it wouldn't be healthy to work out at those calorie levels, ie. you need more.

try to do cardio every day, just make sure you have a 8 hour gap between weights and cardio. it won't be easy, but nothing worth having ever is, and if you are motivated enough (which you seem to be) you can do it. :bb:

6. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Thanks for the follow up, I'll readjust my calories. I'll shoot for 2500 and see how it goes.

Cardio daily is pretty doable. I doubt I'll be able to get in 2 workouts per day on work days but I'll see what I can do.

7. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

At 25% bodyfat, nutrient timing is one of the least important things you can worry about right now.

Getting your total macro's in every day is going to be much more important. Space your meals accordingly to what's easiest for you to consume everything. Fat and protein spread evenly for the most part, cept you don't want hardly any fat around your workouts.

I wouldn't worry about splitting hairs on timing of meals and nutrients, until you're much lower bodyfat.

Make sure you're working your entire body hard with the weights, especially legsssss. Cardio honestly 3x a week + the intense weights is fine. Cardio should be supplementary to diet and rigorous weight training. If the diet is in check with the strenuous workouts, the bodyfat will drop.

8. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

^^ agreed. timing isnt really necessary at this stage. aim to get your macro's down everyday and research timing to use @ a lower b/f%

9. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Well-Known Member

I would skip the cardio. Keep lifting hard, keep calories at a deficit, and get the majority of your calories from protein.

10. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Agreed with all above. Cut out the cardio. Many people fail to see the fat burning effects of intense lifting. If you are training for running or endurance, by all means add in the cardio. If you are trying to cut fat, lift with intensity and get the diet dialed in. Don't worry about the timing of your food other than around the training bout. Other than protein and sugars during or after a workout, most nutrient timing suggestions are based on myth, particularly the eating before sleep myth.