1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie - Advice on dairy & caffine

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by DEL_P_O, Jun 17, 2013.

1. DEL_P_O

DEL_P_O Member

Hi everyone,
    I’m a new member to the site and just about to start my transformation. I’m Irish, 31, 5f 9inches (177m) and weight 12st 13lbs (82.3kg). According to a reading I got form a scale in the gym my BMI is 26.3 and my body fat percentage is 24.6. Coincidently I had a gym instructor measure my body fat using a pretty expensive calliper, measured my body in 5 different places and determined it to be 21%. My waste measures at 36 inches.
    Over the last year, I have managed to lose nearly 3 stone through diet and resistance training, however, I never to seemed to put on much muscle that was anyways noticeable which leads me to think that I have my diet all wrong plus I wasn’t as disciplined as I should have been. Now I’m ready to put in the commitment as I know what can be achieved. If I was to describe my body I would say its fat skinny. I don’t look over weight, but my bones are small and I have a lot of fat on them. This is always the way it has been since I was a kid. Any advice on how I should structure my diet? Am I different to others starting out or the same?
    One observation I have made from nearly everyone’s diet during the beginning of their transformation and was successful is that they have completely eliminated both dairy and caffeine. What is the science behind this? I have read that dairy can spike your blood sugar but surely the calcium benefits outweigh this? I have 500g of Glenisk Low Fat Natural Yogurt with 125g of blueberries every morning.
    http://www.glenisk.com/our-products/yogurts/low-fat-natural-yogurt/
    Is this too much?
    With regards to Caffeine, I simply find it hard to work without a black coffee in the morning to the point that I start to get migraines if I don’t have at least one.
    Thanks in advance for any advice / guidance you have for me.
    DEL_P_O

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Dairy and caffeine can be incorporated into any successful gaining diet. :nod:

There are far more important things to reduce:
    - sugar (processed, types fruit and natural sugars are fine) is just empty garbage calories
    - processed foods (fast food, deli meats, etc....usually a dead giveaway on processed foods is the ungodly amount of sodium crammed in them as a preservative)

With your stats: 31, 5'9", 181 pounds and lets say you weight train 3 times per week....your daily caloric target is around 2550 cals....that is a maintenance number. So if you want to drop a little fat each week, call it 2000 - 2100.

Eat real meat:
    - lean ground beef
    - tuna
    - lean turkey
    - chicken breast
    - lean steak

Eat good complex carbs:
    - beans
    - potatoes
    - oats
    - rice

Get your fats from good sources:
    - lowfat milk
    - *real* cheese
    - meat
    - nuts
    - olive oil
    - flax

Now on to adding muscle....if you *really want to add muscle, you need to eat a little more than maintenance.

Find you a good workout split consisting of compound lifts:
    - squats
    - dealifts
    - BB Bench
    - BB press
    - dips
    - pullups
    - rows

stuff like that.

Supplements: use 'em if you need 'em

This will get you 90% of the way there with some month-to-month dedication.....don't worry too much about the noise for now.

Eat properly for your goal and lift heavy.

--

Example:
    I am trying to cut bodyfat, but my daily breakfast looks like this:
    - 4 egg whites
    - 2 whole eggs
    - 4 strips turkey bacon
    - 1 oz fresh pico de gallo

You can eat big meals and still lose weight....:nod:

3. DEL_P_O

DEL_P_O Member

Hi digitalnebula
    Thanks for replying back to me. I'm kicking the processed foods and sugar. It’s good that I can keep some dairy as I find it tough to come up with decent non-dairy breakfast ideas.
    I have been reading a booked called the blood sugar solution by Mark Hyman. He says that dairy can cause a spike in blood sugar. Is that why so many people here have eliminated dairy from their diets?
    My goal is to reduce my body fat by 10% and then start working on putting on some muscle. Hopefully I won't lose too much muscle while working on this. I have a good split weight training program that I just started and I’m also running and cycling.

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I doubt you have to worry about insulin spikes and stuff like that unless you are diabetic....

Dairy has its issues....a lot of people can have allergic reactions to it and can have a hard time digesting it....etc....

However, it makes protein shakes taste unbelievably good, cheese is awesome on everything, it has good protein in it......etc...

Quite honestly, I doubt you will really see a difference in gains/losses until you are getting down toward 10% BF and you want to see more muscle definition in the mirror.....but all you need to do is kick dairy for a week and the "temporary dairy effect" will be gone.

Its really up to you.

--
    As far as breakfast goes, my breakfast has none.....but it can taste even better with a slice of cheese on the eggs....:drool:
    --

Also, I lost my first 25+ pounds this year having dairy on a daily basis.....and a lot of it.
    I would have three 8oz servings of 2% milk and a couple slice of real cheese every day.....:nod:

Cheers and good luck to you.

No matter what you choose.....give it a good honest 3 or 4 weeks before deciding to change anything.
    All good programs take time and [highlight]consistency[/highlight]....

#4 digitalnebula, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a food that doesn't cause an increase in insulin.

Your headaches sound like caffeine withdrawal. It's like any other drug. Your body will punish you if you don't take it. Personally I would wake up in the morning with headaches that required a caffeine hit. I finally decided that I didn't like that and went cold turkey. After a few months my body adjusted. I'm back to drinking coffee but at much lower levels.

No offense but at 5'9 with a 36 waist it's most likely you do look over weight.

There are different types of looking muscular. There is the big bulky look. The look big in clothes look. Then there is the lean look. Which can look small in clothes.

The lean look requires lowish bf levels. Sub 15 and I'd say below 12 really.

The looks big in clothes tends to require the right body type. Naturally broad shouldered. If you're like that you can get away with higher bf levels.

6. petvan

petvan Active Member

This is what is known as caffeine addiction. It's a very powerful drug and no slouch to kick. I had probably 2 months of withdrawal symptoms from bad headaches, to extreme lethargy, sweats, nightmares etc when I quit cold turkey. Have been off for 2 years and consider one of the best things I ever did.

Energy levels and mood far more consistent now and I always feel great in the morning (unless I was feeling too good in the evening ;-)

P

#6 petvan, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  7. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

Fats don't stimulate insulin release.

8. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

Caffeine is fine for fat loss. It can even help by curbing appetite and perhaps helping you to burn a bit more fat during low intensity cardio (assuming you do it).