1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbi here, help loosing weight

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Dantheman88, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Dantheman88

Dantheman88 Member

Hi there my name is Dan, I am from Spain (Canary islands),26 years old and 180 cm of height.

My current weigth is 80 kilos and i want to loose about 4 kilos but I dont know the best way.

I have a really hard time eating good foods (low will power).

One of my goals is to do as many pulls up has I can, its the Best exercise for me and the hardest so I dont really know how to exercise to do more, here is my routine:

Monday, wednesday and friday go for a run
    Tuesday ans Thursday pull ups,push ups,squats and dips (guetto workout)

I dont like the gym and thats why i love calesthenics.

Is this a good routine? Any advise in how to develope a good system to train for pull ups?

Best regards
    DAN

2. jmike

jmike Active Member

those are all compound movements, changing the order will be good to see what is getting tired when.

you will probably want to add in some ab/core work.
    pull ups will put some stress on your core for stabilization

maybe add in some situps, leg lifts (scissor kicks), and stiff legged deadlifts (with or without weight -- kettlebell swings would also help)

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Armstrong Pullup Program is a popular conditioning program for bodyweight pullups.

If you want to learn more bodyweight exercises/tricks you can go to Beast Skills or the Bodyweight Fitness subreddit for lots of info.

You don't have to eat good food to lose weight - and there's plenty of argument as to whether or not there's such a thing as good food - but you can lose weight by eating less calories than you burn from any food source. The catch is that you need to track your calories. If it goes in your stomach, write it down. A calculator like the one at IIFYM can tell you what you need to take in to cut fat.

It sounds like your plan will get you into good cardiovascular shape and will preserve muscle during your fat loss if you push yourself. It sounds like you have a loose idea of what you want to do. If you want to keep it loose: Stick with your current plan and have fun. Find more bodyweight exercises that appeal to you and challenge yourself with learning tricks and bodyweight feats. Add in some mindfullness about nutrition and you'll do well.

If you want to focus more, keep reading this site and others. Learn more about strength and conditioning. Get on an actual running program with a goal. Deliberately count calories and monitor your macros. It's more work, possibly less fun, but will deliver results faster.

4. jmike

jmike Active Member

that one looks so much cleaner than this one

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

5. Dantheman88

Dantheman88 Member

Thanks for the advice, I am starting to count my calorie intake more or less , I will check the armstrong pull up programm to see how it goes. I will keep you posted, thank you both :)

I see I have to do push ups everyday, but... I dont have that much time to do those exercises. It sais, do 3 maximos push ups when you get up and then do the pull up program 3-4 hours later..isnt there a way to join them both?

#5 Dantheman88, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd recommend following the program as written for maximum results. If you want to do push-ups and pullups at the same time, you're going to be more tired (and get less benefit) on both, but it's still worth doing.

7. Dantheman88

Dantheman88 Member

The thing that I am going to try is the following:

Armstrong routine + differente exercises (Example)

Day 1
    3 sets max pull ups (Armstrong)
    Rest of exercises, dips, push ups, sit ups
    Day 2
    Piramid (Arsmtrong)
    Go for a run.

Etc , like this through out the week.

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Welcome to the forums.

While not focused on pull ups here is a link to some bodyweight exercises. You can add some decent strength with these.

http://www.globalbodyweighttraining.com/basic-to-advanced/

For weight loss, exercise is not the answer, how much you eat is. A few cookies are more calories eaten than a nice run burns. Also total calories is more important than what the food is. However it is hard to overeat spinach while very easy to overeat cookies. Can you tell I like cookies? :D

9. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are doing different exercises, then it's really not the Armstrong routine... it's your interpretation (or adaption) of the Armstrong routine.

No problem if that's what you want to do... it just bothers me when people say "Oh, I tried X routine and didn't like it" (or "X routine didn't work") and then when you probe a little deeper, you find out what they actually did was nothing like what was envisioned by the author.

PhillyDude
    thinks it would be fun to try this program sometime