1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. NickP4123

NickP4123 Active Member

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum and im glad im joining. First off, i have a few questions and you guys might know the answers to. Im currently at the end of my fat loss stage although i still have a bit of baby fat i still need to get rid of. Im wondering if my next step should be cutting so i can get the definition. I took creatine before but decided to stop because i got some acne and bloated from the water and i doubt im gonna take it again. Should i take weight gainers to help gain lean muscle mass or just stick to regular protein or is there another product that is a good idea.

Thanks alot,

Nick.

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Welcome Nick. :)

Its up to you if you want to bulk or culk.

Regarding your questions on weight gainers or protein. That's totally dependant on your diet.

However, i will say most meal replacements are junk. You can easily make homemade ones using a quailty protein powder and other in house ingredients.

eg. Natural peanut butter, oats, berries, flax meal, cottage cheese, yogurt etc

3. NickP4123

NickP4123 Active Member

Hey, thanks!

Yeah im not sure what im going to do because i want to be muscular and bulky but without the fat. do you recommend anything i should take for bulking up such as a certain protein powder or muscle enhancer? and i know for bulking up i should be eating alot, but im also scared that if i eat alot im going to put on fat instead of muscle mass and it will turn to be a disaster.

4. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Do you monitor calories?

Supplements are only one piece of the puzzle for any body composition changes.

5. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Supplements only make sense in the larger context of a well-planned diet. The total number of calories you eat, as well as how many of them come from carbs, protein, and fat, will be the key to your diet. Some of us like the option of using a protein supplement for convenience, rather than eating the equivalent amount of real food.

As far as bulking and fat, if you want to gain muscle mass you'll need to lift hard and to eat a caloric surplus so that you build muscle mass. This will mean that you'll add a bit of fat, but a proper bulking diet will minimize the fat gain.

Definitely check out the stickies, they have some great info on nutrition in general and on both fat loss and bulking.

6. NickP4123

NickP4123 Active Member

When i was in the fat loss stage, i concentrated on doing cardio and light weight training and trying to keep my calorie intake to about 2000 a day. Right now im just trying to find a proper diet and excercise plan to lose the baby fat and show the definition of the muscles. Maybe you guys could help me out. I decided not really to bulk up but concentrate more on showing the muscle.

I should probably tell you guys what my specs are lol:

Im 6 feet tall and weigh 155 and im also 17 years old.

7. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

I am kind of confused.....

You stated you are at the end of your fat loss stage, and wonder if your next step should be cutting.

:confused:

In any event, to lose baby fat or any kind of fat for that matter, here is what I call "~SC~'s imperative keys" :

1) An impeccable nutritional approach that supports this fat loss goal
    2) Cardio done to promote lipolysis
    3) Weight training to preserve lean muscle mass
    4) Proper post-workout nutrition to preserve that lean mass and begin the recovery process
    5) Consistency and adjustments made as the weeks/months go by

~SC~

8. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

And you want to lose weight?

Now I feel bad :nope::flex:

9. NickP4123

NickP4123 Active Member

lol yeah im confused myself about this too, i just want to show the muscles more and i think im going to do that by keeping up with my cardio to lose the baby fat and build lean muscle by lifting lighter weights and more reps and also watching my calorie intake and eating healthy.

lol dont feel bad, i just got a little bit of 'extra baggage':p , nothing severe but just something i feel i should tighten and tone.

10. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This is certainly just my personal opinion, but I believe it would be a mistake to continue cutting at 17 years old, 6 foot, 155lbs.

I'm not saying you need to go on a dirty bulk, but I would prefer you eat at or slightly over maintenance. Plenty of protein, plenty of healthy fat, plenty of fruits and veggies, and a good amount of complex carbs.

I would also urge you to reconsider this: "...lifting lighter weights and more reps." :)

11. NickP4123

NickP4123 Active Member

Thanks for the advice:)

I guess im just scared that id gain fat again if i were to eat more and put more protein in my body because i used to be a chubby kid when i was younger.

12. NickP4123

NickP4123 Active Member

Allllrighty.

I went to the nearest GNC and told the people there that i was basically done my fat loss stage and was looking to gain muscle and bulk up. They told me that i should take Creatine and also use a good protein shake like muscle milk. I ended up buying the vanilla flavoured muscle milk shake and i also have creatine at home. I was wondering if it is a good choice to take the 2 for bulking up and also if i should take the protein shake more than once a day(1 for breakfast replacement, and post workout)

13. SwoleCat

You'll want to develop/present your daily diet for training and non-training days (as surely they will differ) here to the board members for critique. It's cool that you got your supplements and such, but supplements are just that, they supplement an already solid dietary approach with real nutritious solid food. :)

I myself would not have purchased Muscle Milk, especially if you wish to stay lean, but that's just my preference. I use either no/very low whey protein and also a no/very low casein protein, both used at diff. times of the day for different purposes. I add flax oil or hemp oil to either one of those to make my own MRP's. Not only is this cheaper, but it's healthier and you can control the exact amounts of the macronutrients you are consuming, something that cannot be done with a ready made preparation like Muscle Milk. (the folks at GNC usually aren't the brightest of the bunch, nor the most informed when it comes to sensible nutrition. They are just wanting to sell products to make commission)

For creatine, I'd choose a creatine ethyl ester malate product. I really like CellMass myself as no other creatine product has ever worked as well for me. Creatine Monohydrate bloats the living crap out of me and blurs ALL of my definition, that's a product I steer totally clear from.

So, get those meal plans laid out here with the food amounts, total calories, percentages or gram amounts of the macros, etc., and the folks here can critique/tweak it to help you out where needed.

~SC~

14. SwoleCat

Fully agreed, as if you are going to continue to diet (caloric deficit) you aren't going to be building lean mass while you attempt to drop bodyfat and you definitely won't gain any using light weights and high reps. Lifting with heavier weights and moderate reps will help send the signal to your body to "hold on" to the lean mass you do have (provided you have enough quality protein in the diet and don't overtrain), and that's what I would suggest you do.

~SC~