1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New Year = New Life

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by NZBOON, Jan 10, 2012.

1. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

What will 2012 bring about?

For me - For starters i am moving country for a new job
    - I am in the progress of organising a wedding to the women i love
    - And i really want to get in shape

For years i have started and stopped various training programs and havn't seen very much progress, which is to be expected! In the last year i have put on roughly 3kg, which isn't the end of the world but it does show what happens when i don't train and watch what I eat.

As a kid at high school i gained alot of weight until my last year of school when I decided i needed to make a change. I made the 1st XV rugby team even got selected into the provincial team during the season. All the sport i was doing required a lot of training and effort, as a result i lost 17kg in 3 months and was in the greatest shape physically of my life.

What came next was 5 years of University and all the drinking and parties associated with it! My weight ballooned, 1st year wasnt so bad, i played rugby started a gym membership and pretty much kept in shape, 2nd year was completely different, I stpopped playing sport, drank more alcohol and was starting to struggle with my grades.

I stopped going to the gym and quickly put on weight. When i left high school i was 73kg, and at the end of 2nd year university i was back up to 90kg. I have really never been to worried about aghast my actual weight was, number wise. Im more concerned with my growing waist line.

Currently i weight 105kg, pretty much the heaviest i have ever been i don't think i look 105, people have even said “No way I don't believe your that". I guess I do have a large frame and I am quite muscular, but I hold alot of fat around my mid section.

My fiancé and I are moving TODAY to a new country for new jobs and a new life. I see this as an opportunity for us both to get into shape and loose the excess fat we have stored from our previous life!

I see this as an opportunity to show people that you can change and that with hard work and dedication results can happen.

So this is the start of my journal, a story of my new life and the challenges I will likely face. My goal is simply this "look better naked", weather that means loosing 10kg's our 30kg's. I wasn't to loose the fat I have used as insulation for the last 6 years and gain some muscle. I know I have it in me, and I will thank you now for all the support I know I will get from the JSF community.

Thanks

#1 NZBOON, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Welcome!

I am a "big guy" as well. People never think I am "fat"...
    Being tall, I can hide 30-40 pounds of fat pretty well under a shirt...:lol:

The JSF community is loaded with information and support....do not be afraid to post and ask questions.

Cheers!

3. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Well we arrived in Australia had the greatest flight ever! For some amazing reason they decided to bump us up to business class! So exciting, was an smashing trip.

The weather here amazing so hot, well compared to what I'm used to. I think I will loose alot of weight just from walking around in the warmer conditions. I'm constantly sweating, its annoying.

From a training point of view its going to take a week our so to get settled, we still need to find a place to live..... So that is todays mission. I can't wait to hit a gym up and also a golf course! I can for see alot of walking around in the 30 degree heat over the next few days, a water bottle its going to be crucial!

I will try to eat clean, I always find that in hot temperatures I don't really seem to get hungry, any other people like that. I just find eating food while I'm hot to be such a mission. Maybe its just because I might normally eat bad food......I don't know.

So todays plan
    Eat Clean
    Drink copious amounts of water
    Lots of walking
    And hopefully find a apartment to live in!

Cheers
    Boon

4. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Ah, I thought you'd moved somewhere really daring.

NZ and Aus are essentially brothers, I'm sure you'll slip in, the language barrier/food won't be an issue.

Good luck, playing rugby was a huge hobby of mine until I was 15 and realised I wanted to sleep in a long time on saturday mornings. It also led to me being injured almost constantly, but then back on it a few weeks later.

How tall are you? I started at 106.8, essentially the same weight. Race you to 90!:p

5. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

I'm about 178 cm. weighed my self today on some proper scales and I was 107kg. Yeah I'm keen to race ya. Although I an wanting to take this weight loss slowly. It would be good to have some competition thou, I usually do better in those situations.

6. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Yesterday was spent mostly searching for an apartment t to live in. At the moment we are crashing on a mates couch. He had a really nice place, and luckily it ha, yes you guessed it, a gym.

So yesterday I woke up nice and early and headed down. It always takes me a little while to get myself settled into a new gyms surroundings, figuring out what I am going to do and what equipment they have. The gum here is a little small but they have sMith Machine that I used for bench press and squats and the have a small selection of free weights.

So yesterday I did

3 x 60kg bench press
    3 x 130kg squats
    3 x 20kg biceps curls (7,7,7) super set with isolation curls to failure

And then I went for a swim to a) Cool down and b) enjoy the morning sunshine

So it was quite a successful day. Its been over half a year at least since I've stepped foot in a gym. I am feeling the pain to day but I love it!

Today I think I'll look at doing do cardio and maybe a shoulders workout.
    Fun times. Oh yeah and upon weighing myself it like I've lost half a kg. water weight my guess but hey its a start

7. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Had a little/big hiccup in my progress! I got excessivly drunk the other day/night after celebrating our move over with friends! The beers were flowing then out came the tequila.

It can be assumed that i did not hit the gym up that day, or yesterday due to the major hangover i had.

I did however go to the gym this morning, worked my shoulders and did some low impact cardio. My legs are still reeling from the workout i did three days ago. DOMS are crazy, hurts just to stand up, i think the low impact walk on the treadmill today may help. Here's hoping.

Off to look at a couple more places to live soon, i am hopeful we will find a place soon so i can get into a routine. Thats the thing im finding most difficult at the moment. Once i find a place to live and start work, things will settle down and i think i will see more progress.

8. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Had a couple good days training since my last update. Two really good gym sessions, with alot of cardio in between.
    I saw a photo of my self taken about 6 years ago, it was kind a depressing. I looked kinda cut up, I think all of the 20kg I have put on since then has gone straight around my stomach. I really would like to get back to that sort of shape. So far I have lost 2kg since I stated this phase.
    I really can't wait to get into a good routine.

9. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Well its been about 1 week since my last update. And what have I achieved?
    Not to much to be honest. I had one night out drinking. Excessively!
    I have made it to the gym 4 times which I guess is a positive. The place where we are staying is not really ideal. We are sleeping on a couch, and I feel to much pressure to drink when the guy we are staying with does.
    I shouldn't really make so many excuses, but I feel that if we had moved into our own place by now I would be in a better routine.
    I have made some great gains in strength especially in my shoulders. I have also started doing dead lifts for the first time ever. One word. Amazing.
    Love it so much. Although I am only doing them on the smith machine here at the resort gym. I started at 60kg and found it too easy,.so I moved up to 100kg and then on to 130. Not sure how good that is, but think I can hit at least 150 this week.
    Can anyone tell me what a good dead lift weight would be for me? I'm 104kg and I am pretty muscular I guess.

any way time for bed, looking forward to a good training tomorrow. Until next time.

Boon

10. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

Welcome mate! I'll be following with interest.

Whereabouts in Aus did you move to? I live in Perth.

11. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

I've just moved over to surfers. Got a job which pays alot better although we havn't started yet!

12. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Great leg workout today! Fully destroyed them!!
    Started with

Squats
    15 x 100kg
    10 x 130kg
    8 x 130kg

Deadlifts
    10 x 100kg
    8 x 130kg
    5 x 130kg

Leg Extension
    15 x 40kg
    10 x 40kg
    10 x 40kg

Horizontal Leg Press

20 x 100kg
    20 x 150kg
    20 x 200kg
    15 x 200kg (not sure if the plates are in KG's however, but i have leg pressed well over 200kg before)

After this i was done for!! Wobbly legs , but felt great.

I realy dont like weight machines, I would always prefer using free weights or atleast machines that let me put the weight on.
    firstly so i know how much i am lifting
    and secondly for the extra muscles you use stablizing

My diet today as been great, I really should start a food diary thou so i can take note of my macro intake.
    Maybe that will be todays mission

13. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

So I got my self a food diary app for my phone which should make it easier to keep track of everything I'm eating.
    That being said, I entered todays meals and it said I have only eaten just over 1000Cals.
    These were my macros.

Fat 11.44%
    Carb 66.03%
    Protein 22.52%

I also input my workout to see how much expenditure I had. And it said I expended like 3100Cals

That would mean I'm in a 2000 Cal deficit diet. I did feel super hungry around lunch but I didn't think it would be that much.

Should I be worried, and should I add some more food into my diet. Here is what I ate today

Breakfast
    2 weekbex
    1 cup of low fat milk
    3 tea spoons of sugar

Lunch
    1 medium potatoes boiled

Snack
    2 pieces of garlic bread (small)

Dinner
    1/2 chicken breast baked no skin
    3/4 cup brown rice
    1 cup lettuce
    Half tomato
    French dressing 1 tsp
    1/4 avocado

Dessert
    1 mango

What's everyone's opinion ?

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks

14. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Great day training today
    Went to bed late due to the Australian Mens Tennis open final been played. Great game by the way well worth staying up past 1am.
    Still got my 8 hours of sleep in and woke up wanting to hit the gym hard.

After my leg session yesterday i was expecting some major pain today, but it isnt too bad, which is great. Todays workout was chest and tri's

Bench Press
    10 x 60kg
    10 x 70kg
    8 x 75kg (some good increases in strength threre)

Incline BP
    10 x 60kg
    10 x 60kg
    8 x 60kg

Decline BP
    10 x 60kg
    10 x 60kg
    8 x 60kg

Cable Cross Overs
    10 x 40kg (3 sets)

Skull Crushers
    10 x 25kg (3 Sets)

Tricep Pulldowns
    15 x 40kg (3 Sets)

20 Mins interval training on the Stationary Bike
    This absolutly killed me, for some reason the program on the bike makes each interval 2 mins in length which makes cycling at 100% nearly impossible, well it is for me. I close my eyes and pedel as hard as i can for as long as possible and everytime i look up to see how long has passed it always says 1min!! So painful.

Diet was better today, i ate more as yesterday i didnt eat nearly enough, I find it weird trying to find food to eat just so i can reach a Calorie goal. In my case id like to be hitting at least 2000Cals, yesterday i only managed 1000Cals. It's most likely the reason i crashed out today for an hour on the couch...........

here are todays macros

Fat 50.73g
    Carbs 338.86g
    Protein 103.26g

Cals 1899

I need to go out and get me some protein powder so i can increase my protein levels up to some where near 150g

Thats my little nit for today. Tomorrow is back and bi's. Cant wait!!

15. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

I also do my interval training on the stationary bike - it's a killer. VERY impressed that you do 2min sprints. That's nuts! I do 1min sprints (with 1:15 rests at the moment, but aiming to up to 1:1 in a week or two) and I cannot wait until each 1min is over.

And good work on improving the nutrition. :)

Quick question: how do you manage to get such a high carb:fat ratio? I find carbs very boring without fat ;) (e.g. peanut butter in my oatmeal etc). I've been mostly eating fruit at the moment to try to reach my carbs without going over my fat allowance.

16. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

I eat weetbix in the mornings and bread at lunch. Rice or potatoes for dinner and that's about it. I'm really new to all this nutritional stuff, so I'm no expert at all.

17. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

I was going to wait until we moved into or new place before I stated taking measurements, but I want to stay setting some improvements so I found my callipers and took some skin fold measurements. Not as bad as I thought to be honest.

My weight to day was 104.8kg with a fat percentage of 22.7%

I thought I would be up around 30%.

That means mt LBM is 81kg
    And my fat mass is 23.8kg

I would like to get down to about 12% so I got a long way to go. I worked our my ideal weight for that percentage is around 92kg

Formula I used is
    (100-current body fat%) / (100-desired body fat %) x current weight

For me

(100-22.7) / (100-12) x 104.8 = 92 kg

I have been nearly that weight before during a cut a couple years ago but I was only 17% body fat so I think it will be a mission to reach that goal. But I will try my hardest!

I do own a myotape but I can't find it in all our bags, so body measurements will have to wait. I am feeling a wee bit skinnier thou! Yay.

18. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Great day all round today. Weather, nutrition and training. Oh and most importantly dedication to my cause.
    I got hammered with major peer pressure I to drink tonight and I suck to my guns and didn't have any! So happy with myself.

So today, headed to the beach for the first time since arriving in Aussie due to how bad the weather has been. Got pretty burnt to tell ya the truth.

Ate really well today, didn't have any bad food, no alcohol! My cals were still pretty low thou, here are my macros.
    Fat 53g
    Carbs 174g
    Protein 108g

Cals 1475 way to low especially as I'm burning around 3000cals a day. I need to eat more!

19. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

:nod:

BTW, very jealous its summer there....we are smack dab in the middle of winter here....blarg.

Keep it up man!

20. NZBOON

NZBOON Active Member

Well its been over a week since my last post, which is regretful but what a week it has been.

Finally my finacee and I have moved into our apartment, the only problem was we had no power for the 1st 2 nights due to a stuff up by the eletricity company!! Very annoying. Our licenses also can through which allow us to to do our job, we have been waiting for 3 weeks with no income and finally we thought we would be able to work..... Was not the case.

They gave us 3 shifts each for the entire fortnight, it isnt even enough to cover rent!!!! Luckily we have found another 5 shifts between us, which is great, we have been running low on funds for the last couple of weeks!

So yesterday weas my 1st shift at work, went pretty good. Not as bad as i thought it would be, its good to finally be working again, i have been off work since mid decemeber!!

So how has this affected my training. Well to be honest quite a lot really. Since moving to our new place i havnt been to the gym, all be it that the gym down stairs is very basic. I did go for a 5km run one morning which was great. My diet has been pretty steady i have not been tracking my Cals though.....

Im the type of person that when i can get into a routine i am great and can stick to it, but at the moment with us not knowing when we were working and moving, i just havnt been able to get up and do it.

I still feel like i have lost weight however, we dont own any scales the one i was using belong to friends we were staying with. When we head over there next i will sneak in and weigh myself. Im hoping im down to around 102/103kg. Thats where i feel i am right now.

Even though i have not been to the gym, i have still be keeping active, via walking, swimming and that run i did two mornings ago. I'll look into joining the gym at work after i have checked out the facilities, otherwise there is a 24hour gym just down thw road which i believe we get a discount at!! Bonus