1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New year, new journal (training with Mastover)

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by danielvh, Jan 21, 2012.

1. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

Hey guys

So, I first started off trying to lose weight at the beginning of 2010. When I started, I was 160kg (353lbs) of basically just fat. I have been overweight all my life and got fed up with it at this point.

Here's a photo a few months before I started: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47905228@N07/6735732265/

Embarrassing! Basically, I wasn't confident, I wasn't physically capable of much and I was a little miserable with where I was at.

So, I began training in earnest. As most do when first starting out, I did a crapload of cardio and didn't eat much at first and lost a decent amount of weight. Then, I don't remember why but I hired a personal trainer. He happened to be this buff dude from Bulgaria who got me onto weights. I started training hard there but realised that I had no idea what to do when it came to nutrition. I started looking online, stumbled across this forum and ended up hiring Aram. The last three months of 2010 when I was training with Aram I made amazing progress. I did what he said and I lost fat and put on muscle every single week.

I got down to 110kg (243lbs), for a total loss of 50kg (110lbs) You can see a picture here (excuse the drunkenness!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/47905228@N07/6735719301/

I was starting to look decent and was feeling great. I probably wanted to lose about 15kg (33lbs) from this point.

THEN, two things happened that completely derailed me:
    1) I began training pretty hard in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and competed in a few competitions. This worked out great for a while, but I got so burnt out training 4 times a week AND weight training. This culminated in me competing in a tournament where I landed wrong from a takedown and fractured my ankle and three ribs.
    2) I began working full time in a pretty stressful job in February 2011, having graduated from university in 2010.

In 2011 I gradually gained weight. I went through periods of getting back into it but it never stuck. I did keep weight training most of the time and my strength went up but my diet was awful. I got back up to 145kg (320lbs). I also started smoking a bit (maybe a cigarette or two every couple of days) out of stress and needless to say, my fitness went through the toilet.

It got to the end of the year and I just said enough is enough. I took my 4 weeks of holiday and just used it to eat right and train (following my old plan from Mastover), getting down to 133kg (293lbs) at the end of those four weeks. I got my body fat % tested at this stage (using the dunk test which I reckon is pretty accurate). I'm at 31% body fat (i.e. 92kg / 202lbs lean mass and 41kg / 91lbs fat). At least I packed on some muscle between my lowest point and now - I think I was inadvertently in a very messy bulk!

I've now hired Mastover again and will kick ass and take names in 2012. Here's the plan:
    1) Workouts in the morning before work. Trying to get it done after work never worked out for me because I'm never sure what time I'll finish work and so often just don't feel like it if I've had a long day.
    2) Following Mastover's nutrition plan
    3) Stay accountable through Mastover and this forum

Nutrition:
    Lifting days: P: 277g, C: 187g, F: 63g
    Non-lifting days: P: 227g, C: 155g, F: 61g

Training:
    - Weight training 4 times per week on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday using a 3 day split (Push, Pull, Legs) with the workouts rotating each week. (e.g. week 1: Push, Pull, Legs, Push -> week 2: pull, legs, push, pull etc etc)
    - Cardio: 12mins of HIIT after each weight session except legs. 20mins of HIIT on Wednesday mornings.

I'm going to use this forum as an account of my experiences including my successes and failures (hopefully not too many of these!). Let's get it!

#1 danielvh, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. sudy

sudy Active Member

Welcome back :)

3. GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl Member

I too just started a journal and have been working with Aram since last November. I'll be following your progress. Go get it!

4. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

Thanks Sudy! I see you're also recently getting back into yet. I'll be following your progress there. :)

5. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

Thanks GranolaGirl (LOVE the name by the way - do you actually eat a lot of granola?!)

6. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Hey,

I'm basically in the same boat [except being thin before] haha, I was at 107Kgs, down to 100 now in 2 weeks thanks to Mastover.

Only problems I perceive with living in UK [I'm guessing because of the UoB picture] is:

Cost - Chicken breasts, good meat, eggs, everything is SO expensive. Here in China I did a shop of 15 chicken breasts, 6 packets of steak, 40 eggs, 5 broccolis, 5 cauliflowers, 10 potatoes, a shit load of other vegetables, 20 Litres of mineral water, some bread, a little cheese, 20 apples, 20 bananas, kiwis, and other fruit, and some other good snacks [olive oil, nuts] for about 20 quid. Now in England 15 chicken breasts could set you back 20 quid on their own! But oh well.

The UK attitute - beering and snacking and being a 'lad' are important, as are finishing your plate! Portions tend to be big in the UK like the US. My friends will be disappointed when I return home and refuse to go to the pub and sup back a big meal and 6 beers [theres about 2500 calories!]. The attitude seems to be work your socks off in the week [and compared to any country I've gone to, UK peeps work hardest!], then at the weekend get blotted. Or just 'splurge'. I know many of my friends who eat a little in the week [exhausted, not alot of time], then on the weekend get beers, pizza, snacks etc. Also, working so hard often can make it hard, it's easier to go to a fast food place or something, or grab a quick sandwich, crisps and a coke [about 1500 calories!]

UK snacks - Me and reno were discussing on this board, hands down UK's snacks are out of this world. Biscuits, chcocolate, soda, whatever. If you 'graze' in the UK you can be unstoppable. I could open a packet of McVities Digestives and spank down a whole packet in one hour with 2 mugs of tea if I wanted too. Or I could sit and eat a full english fry up!

Anyway, if you're not English ignore the above, but more importantly stick to what Aram told you, it works. Not only have I lost around 6 or 7 kilos already, but my muscles are growing and I'm stronger, which is important!

7. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

@LarssonCrew - I'm kinda English. I was born in Exeter but my family moved away when I was 2. The UoB picture was taken when I studied there for a year on exchange. I actually completed university and now live in Australia.

But yes, I completely get where you're coming from. Here in Aus there's a very similar culture. Friends inviting me out for beer + pizza is VERY common. I'm actually challenging myself at the moment to see how far into 2012 I can go without drinking. So far so good. Immediate goal is to make it to the end of January and then do FebFast, which is a charity thing where you don't drink alcohol for the month of February and get people to sponsor you. Also, food prices here are ridiculous as well!

So today was eventful. I moved out of home and into my own place! Even though it was a rest day I got a decent workout in just from moving furniture - moving furniture is hard work!

Nutrition for the day was: P: 233g (goal = 227), C: 151g (goal = 155), F: 59g (goal = 61). Pretty much spot on :) Although I had a 300mL can of coke zero which I'm kinda pissed at myself for. Trying to get off the stuff - first one in 3 weeks.

Also, did my weekly cook for the week. I made a giant batch of beef chill, which included: beef mince (2088g), canned tomatoes (6 400g cans), broccoli (338g), carrots (2 medium), mushrooms (200g), capsicum (2 large, one red, one yellow), red onion (1), red kidney beans (2 cans of 400g) and heaps of herbs and spices (including a very generous helping of chill flakes). I portioned this out into 11 containers and calculated the nutritional content per serve as: 433.8cals, P: 51.1g, C: 28.4g, F: 10.9g, sodium: 534mg, fibre: 7.9g

Here's a picture: [​IMG]

*although, this is just after I've thrown in the veggies and stirred. They haven't cooked yet.

I LOVE this meal. It seriously feels like I'm cheating but is (in my opinion at least) very healthy.

#7 danielvh, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. LarssonCrew

Ah same in Australia I guess, perhaps including the snacks.

But yes the culture of the world is shocking. Seems like anytime anyone does something good it's always 'hit the bar to celebrate!' So my friends in UK say , it's my birthday, let's go clubbing. Ok, even 10 diet coke and vodka's is still like 700 calories, plus most people stop for food on the way home[kebab, pizza etc.]

Seems people find it weird to meet in a place that doesn't involve eating or drinking. When I go home back to England for a week in the summer, my friends ALL Say 'let's go eat lunch' 'lets have a coffee' etc. etc. Damn. At least in China people will come to your house to chat, although you still have to provide tea and coffee.

Exeter...hmmm....I went to uni in the south west of England, shocking accent :D

Haha, and that chilli sounds great. Shame I can't get tinned tomatoes here :< What spices did you add? Spice is no problem attaining, although here it's so hot it's unreal. I'd be tempted to bang that over a jacket potato...:drool: Which would round your meal to about 600 I guess[decent sized potato] Sounds amazing.

9. GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl Member

Hey there......I do like granola but don't eat a lot of it. I've always been a bit on the crunchy side........the so called "health food nut". I'm into organic food, sustainable agriculture, and protecting the environment. Plus I work as a volunteer at a natural foods co-op. So I sometimes refer to myself as a granola girl......and so.......a name was born.

10. LarssonCrew

Related to that granola, I've two points.

1) I'm not into environmentalism, I know I should be shot, but as an international relations and law major, I think infact non organic food is better than no food, and alot of people make a fortune off of 'special' organic/healthy foods, so I'm not entirely in favour...BUT...

2) Recently on my trip to Bali I went to a friends friend's plantation for coffee. 5 families bought a little land and use nothing but hard work and the natural way of doing things.

DAYUM their coffee is mind blowing, and wayyyy cheaper than the supermarkets. I bought a tonne, plus soap and other stuff for my friends.

11. GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl Member

Hello LarssonCrrew............I agree, crap food is better than no food. But Big Food makes a fortune selling crap food. Monsanto is the first that comes to mind. And why shouldn't the organic companies make money just like the fat cats? But I can assure you the vendors and small farms I directly deal with at the co-op are not driving BMWs, own boats, taking international vacations a few times a year, etc., etc..... Just as you witnessed on that coffee plantation. For many of them it is a labor of love and not about material greed. OK.......getting off my soap box now. :)
    And yes..when you buy food from a small farm flavor is outstanding! Kudos to your friend's friends.

12. LarssonCrew

It was coffee, soap and massage oils, and....the world's most expensive coffee!

It's the one were the cats eat it, then shit it out, then they wash and you drink. It's outstanding, in London it's $100 a cup, I paid about $20 for a bag that makes 10 cups. It's amazing, the knock up is remarkable though, if they can make 10 cups for $20 and make $1000 from that one bag. Incredible!

13. GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl Member

Oh WOW! LOL Well....there's scam artists in every industry. Thankfully those aren't the kind of vendors I do business with. But, yes, I know what you mean about those businesses scamming people with so called "organic" or "natural" stuff. But, you know what they say, "there's an ass for every seat" right?

14. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

Yep - it'd be awesome on a jacket potato (especially with some cheese on top). I'd do that if I weren't too lazy to make one ;)

You can quite easily make your own 'tinned tomatoes'. Just cut up some tomatoes and stick em in a blender! Or do 50:50 with cubed tomatoes and tomato juice.

In terms of spices, I use cumin, pepper, chill flakes and this pre-mixed spice called hot cajun spice which is a mix of a few things. I also use some herbs (usually whatever's growing).

15. sudy

sudy Active Member

I made a slightly altered version of this last night and it was tasty :)

16. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

So, update for the day:

Nutrition
    P: 277.1g C: 185.1g, F: 59.9g (pretty good given target was 277, 187, 63)

Workout
    Woke up at 5:30, took some Jack3d (I love the stuff - gives me awesome energy and focus and even ensures a great morning at work after the workout) and headed to the gym for..... leg day!

Leg Extension: 20* 85kg, 20*75kg, 14*70kg (will up weight by 5kg on first two sets next time - going for sets of 20)

Leg Press: 20* 180kg, 20* 180kg, 20* 180kg, 7* 180kg. Will up to 200kg and try to get 4*20 next time ;)

Leg Curl: 10* 80kg, 10* 80kg, 10* 75kg, 10* 75kg. Will up weight on all sets next time - going for sets of 10.

Calf raise: 15*200kg, 15*200kg, 12* 200kg, 13* 200kg. Will keep same weight and work on form and slowing it down next time.

Ouch! By the end of the 3rd of 4 sets of leg press my quads and glutes were in pain and trembling! Bet they'll be sore tomorrow!

Tomorrow morning is Push day (chest, shoulders and tris) :)

17. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

Awesome! How did you alter it?! (always looking for new ideas)

18. LarssonCrew

Looks good. I do have a question though:

Shouldn't you be pushing your leg press way up?

You can do 200Kgs on the calf raise [I didn't even see a machine with 200 kilos on it for this, oh well!] but you leg press 180? Shouldn't your press be more than your calf raise? I mean WAAAAAY more?

Also, 85kgs on the leg extension is beast!

19. LarssonCrew

Try this for me!

Next time, try and put in cubes of beef rather than mince, and add a little water once everything gets bubbling away.

After that, add Sichuan pepper [四川辣椒] and you've got a kind of a chinese meal. Serve it with a small portion of rice. The sichuan pepper will numb your mouth with fire as you eat. It's REALLY delicious.

20. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

Fair question. Basically, I've just started this program and trying to figure out what I can leg press in the given rep range (4 sets of 20). Leg pressing 4 sets of 20 with only 60s rest between sets is ridiculously hard! EDIT: And this is IMMEDIATELY AFTER 3 sets of 20 on the leg extension!!! =pain

For a 5 rep range I can leg press around 400kg, maybe a bit more.

I do calf raises on a horizontal leg press with my feet placed at the bottom and heals hanging off the end (e.g. see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLtAYmjLwqQ). Unfortunately, this leg press only goes up to 200kg so to progress I'm going to have to move to the incline leg press which I use for my standard leg presses - this one you load up with plates.

Going up to 90kg next time on the leg extension :) Still figuring out my weights at this high rep range that Mastover's got me on. :p