1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New to Running

Discussion in 'Running' started by matalo, Oct 7, 2014.

1. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I am definitely a novice runner, having finished my first 5K; the Komen Race for the Cure. I finished my 5k in 25:39 which I thought was really good. I plan on running the Turkey Trot; non-competitive. This time, I have convinced my wife to run it with me.

I have her on the C25k plan using Robert Ullrey podcasts. With roughly 7 weeks remaining before Thanksgiving, she probably won't be able to run the whole 5K, but I am still very happy she is trying it. I am running with her on M-W-F using the plan. Tue- Thurs- Sat I plan on training to increase my 5k time. I am worried I might be overtraining, but I think the M-W-F training days are so light I should be OK.

I would like to progress to a 10K and then maybe a half-marathon, but I doubt I could ever do a full marathon.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

That's a very nice pace for the 5k.

I've never used the C25K program, but I know several people who have and they all liked it. Good luck to your wife.

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome! If you are not running much more than three miles at a clip, I would think you can safely run six days per week. When you say you are training to increase (or as you probably meant, decrease) your 5k time, are you doing intervals/speedwork, or just getting more miles under your soles so that you will be more comfortable with the distance? Either way, best wishes towards reaching your goals, and let us know if you have questions or need advice(s) along the road.

That's what every new runner says... :lol:

4. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

You are right, I meant decrease my time. I have started by increasing my distance by .5 mile for three weeks. The next four weeks I want to try interval training.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Welcome to the addiction. :lol:

I think you will be fine doing the c25k with your wife and running farther on the other days. The c25k is mostly walking at first with some . closer to the end it is more running but that can be your easy day.

I have also found that running 5 or 6 miles improves my 5k time. As I increase distance I don't slow my pace much so I would run the 5 or 6 miles at what was my 5 k pace when I could only run 5 k. Then going shorter I can speed up. If that makes sense.

6. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

So I'm running 3.5 miles in 39 min roughly. I'm going to try some interval training. On another note I've got my wife on the C25K training and she's on the 2nd week. I run those on my "off" days. Basically I'm running 6 days a week. I'm worried about overload but doing her training us super easy. Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

Edit: I see you commented already. I should only be concerned in the latter weeks?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

8. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

So, about two weeks ago I ran my first 10k. Granted the time was terrible but I did much better than I expected I would. I finished in 65:37. In about two weeks, I begin my 20 week half marathon training as I signed up for a half in October. I would really like to run the Houston Marathon next January.

9. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

BTW, here is the link to my half-marathon race.

Half-marathon