1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New to JSF, just starting lifting wieghts.

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by spatzcat_11, May 12, 2009.

1. spatzcat_11

spatzcat_11 Active Member

I recently decided to get back into shape, I am 5'7", was 130 lbs, about 3 weeks ago, I started doing cardio 4-5 days a week, I am now 125lbs. I like this weight, but then started doing some research on the cardio, and that seems waaaay too much cardio.

so hubby's got me on a 3 days of full body weights, and 2 days of cardio....

I am trying to eat more protien during the day, and cut back on the carbs...today it was 40/40/20 ish....

Last night was my first weight lifting session....sore today! couldn't even bench 45 lbs! But I think that will improve quickly....

I have a protien shake after my weight work out, but nothing after my cardio workout...

I am currently eating around 1300-1600 calories a day, avoiding processed foods, no soda, all that good stuff....but don't mess with my morning coffee. can't touch that one...

I am I on the right track? Not sure if I should be splitting up my wieght work outs? upper/lower? or should I weight until I build up a bit of muscle?

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Welcome. :)

I think your workout plan sounds fine for now. I personally don't care for full-body routines, but that's just personal preference and I wouldn't ever say they don't work. Lots of people prefer them and do very well with them. If you enjoy and see results with this, stick with it for now. You can always change things later when you've gained more experience.

Diet -- 40/40/20 sounds good to me. The calories seem A LITTLE low, so I might try to stay closer to 1600 rather than 1300. But how do you feel throughout the day? And, are you seeing results? If you feel fine and the results are coming, then again I'd say just stick with what you're doing. :)

I wouldn't worry about the coffee, unless you're adding a bunch of milk/sugar/etc.

Good luck!

3. spatzcat_11

I feel pretty good throughout the day, hungry sometimes, but the diet swtich has been very difficult. I'd much rather be having grilled cheese, and cheeseburgers and pasta for lunch....I'd also rather be eating cookies and chocolate all afternoon, and having a bowl of chips after dinner.:drool:

I still think part of healthy eating is learning to deal with a certain amount of hunger, I not nearly satisfied with a handful of almonds as I would be with handful of crappy fatty sugar goodness...

The diet switch has been tough, but I feel much better in the long run.

I am 34, 35 in Sept, and have a 3 year old, so workouts come after 7:30 at night. I think I will do full body weights for the next month, and then switch it up...

4. George

George Senior Member

I disagree with this. One of the best and easiest ways to increase satiety would be to get more veggies into your diet. You get a ton of food volume for a very small amount of calories. :)

5. spatzcat_11

Would this be too many carbs then? or would it matter? When I have days where I snack more, it's on an apple, a banana, some grapes....should I switch this to more veggies instead of fruit?

6. George

George Senior Member

Depending on the vegetable, the amount of carbs/calories can be pretty negligible. For instance, half a pound of cucumber only contains around 27 calories and ~3g of fiber. For me, 27 calories will not cause any noticeable difference.
    While I think fruit are great and can definitely be a part of a good diet, veggies may help with satiety more. :)

7. buffedstuff

buffedstuff Active Member

Sounds like you are on the right track to me. :nod:

The most important thing is to learn how your body responds.
    good luck on your journey. I wish you the very best :tucool:

8. spatzcat_11

Is that you in your profile pic? how hard did you work?!

What is your routine? You look amazing.

9. buffedstuff

buffedstuff Active Member

If your question is directed at me....heres the answer.
    Yes, that is little old me.

I work really hard. I train on average 6 days a week.
    My routine changes as I change.
    Right now I am back to full body routines, at least until my body fats drops another 2 percent.

Hey good luck, enjoy the journey, train hard but train safe:tucool:

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I also disagree strongly with this. You don't have to be hungry to eat healthy. Far from it. I sometimes feel too full when eating a lot of healthy stuff.

Right now your tastes are tied to bad foods it sounds like, but even over time that can change if you break that habit. Its not that you'll never crave sugary bad stuff, it's that you'll probably learn to enjoy some of the other things you don't think are as fulfilling now. Not that you'll never crave bad stuff, you can just keep it under control better. And sometimes its still even fine to allow yourself some of those things, as long as you keep it in control.

But part of the key to not feeling hungry on lower calorie diet levels (and I think you're probably eating less than you should at 1300 calories) is having a balanced diet with good fiber filled foods (veggies, fruits, whole grains), good fats, and quality proteins.

Fats, protein, and fiber all provide satiety, so center your diet around foods containing those things.

Just don't think eating healthy means accepting hunger. It's just not true :eat:

11. spatzcat_11

You are completely right, and I've done a complete turn around on that entire line of thinking. I have healthy snacks, more often now, and I don't feel hungry -- and when I do, I look at the clock, and it's usually been a couple hours since a snack...I am trying to spread out meals during the day, instead of breakfast/lunch/dinner...and I see the light. I SEE IT! it makes total sense, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!

Also read the stickies. good times.